• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interested in checking out horror books

14 posts in this topic

Virtually all DC Horror from 1969 - 1973, i.e. House Of Mystery, House Of Secrets, Witching Hour, Secrets Of Sinister House, Swamp Thing, Weird Mystery in mid grade is very affordable indeed, and great reads generally.

Creepy, Eerie, Vampirella by Warren are also inexpensive in mid grade.

E.C.s (1951 - 1954) in low to mid-grade (Vault Of Horror, Tales From The Crypt, Haunt Of Fear) are also surprisingly not too bad money wise. Again, great reading. You can of course pick up the Gemstone / Gladstone reprints.

Low grade ECs are very common and most are in $20 range. Mid-grade ECs, especially raw ones, are a huge bargain and you can often get some really nice books for cheap. Heritage is a good source for those because many of the people there are looking for high grade or file copies so the raw stuff can get overlooked. I got a Fine (or better than Fine now that grading is going into the toilet) Shock Suspense Stories #6 for about half guide from them.

High grade ECs and file copies are very expensive.

Reddog, before moving on go to the Bronze boards section and check out the "Infinite Bronze Horror" thread. There you will find the answer to all your dreams and nightmares. -----Sid devil.gif

To SOME of your dreams and nightmares. Not ALL. Never discount pre-code!! poke2.gifpoke2.gif893naughty-thumb.gif

Reddog - I second the Bronze Scetion's Infinite Horror thread. Also go to the Gold Age section. Some fresh horror chat is just underway.

Also, the best overview on pre-code horror can be gotten by ordering the 11 issue Tales Too Terrible To Tell (about $20 total.) I have recommended it many times as the best intro to precode horror and many have tried it and agreed. (BTW - not mine - just been reading it since it first came out).

To get Tales Too Terrible To tell go here:

Tales Too Terrible To Tell

Look to the right about halafway down and you will see Tales Too Terrible To Tell link. thumbsup2.gif

Be sure to check out my thread in the GA board where I started posting the covers to the pre-code and just post code issues in my "NorthHampton" collection. I just got through a small piece of it, and I do intend on finishing posting it.

does anyone have any pointers on getting into horror books?

which are the best reads for fair prices?

looking for affordable mid-grade non-cgc books, any tips/leads?

Forum member and Infinite Bronze Horror co-conspirator Shiverbones is apparently travelling at the moment (in addition to it being his birthday), so I'll take the liberty of pointing you to his Bronze Age Horror Comics site: www.shiverbones.com. This site rocks! headbang.gif

Tell 'im Zonker sent you! thumbsup2.gif

does anyone have any pointers on getting into horror books?

which are the best reads for fair prices?

looking for affordable mid-grade non-cgc books, any tips/leads?

Check out the GA section, many horror threads in there!

West

the top 40 horror comic covers is awesome!!!!

Forum member and Infinite Bronze Horror co-conspirator Shiverbones is apparently travelling at the moment (in addition to it being his birthday), so I'll take the liberty of pointing you to his Bronze Age Horror Comics site: www.shiverbones.com. This site rocks! headbang.gif

Tell 'im Zonker sent you! thumbsup2.gif