• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Paper experts. I have a question.

12 posts in this topic

Can ink (a signature), be removed from the inside of the book? First page. If so, is this detectable restoration? My uneducated guess, is that something like an acetone would damage the paper. Any expert opinions?

Can ink (a signature), be removed from the inside of the book? First page. If so, is this detectable restoration? My uneducated guess, is that something like an acetone would damage the paper. Any expert opinions?

It would never make sense to do it, even if it were possible. The impact of interior signatures is very low.

It would never make sense to do it, even if it were possible. The impact of interior signatures is very low.

On a book like this, I need zero impact. hm

Well I guarantee there is no way to remove imbedded ink that completely obliterates all traces thereof, so it is kind of moot. Somehow, I sense a quest for a 9.9 or 10 is behind this.

Well I guarantee there is no way to remove imbedded ink that completely obliterates all traces thereof, so it is kind of moot. Somehow, I sense a quest for a 9.9 or 10 is behind this.

:devil: Well, there was. Not so much anymore. :(

FWIW at this point: Acetone breaks down the chemical composition of ink, which is how it can remove a signatures - but it also breaks down printers ink as well. If that signature is on any printed area (even the faintest of dot) you run the risk of taking off the original ink from the book.

I don't know how this works on comics, but I have tried it with hardbound books. Plus, you have to be incredibly patient, because if you oversaturate the area, it could cause staining. (Yep, I've done that. doh!)

I have tried to remove three names from hardcover books, all of which I have had varying degrees of success - however, you can see that there was a signature there. I did it for eye appeal only.

I see comics as comics first: something to be read, viewed and to be entertained or transported into the past by.

It's the last function listed above that makes me argue for leaving the signature untouched. It's provenance on an historical artifact --- no matter how grandiose this sounds.

(thumbs u