• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How does Sparkle City always get exorbitant prices for their books?

56 posts in this topic

I 'm with you Bats on the esoteric stuff when was the last time anybody had a Dynamic comic 8 for sale they did along with some other hard to find stuff

They get alot of great hard to find books. Not only that the books they get are probably the nicest quality in that grade (not talking about the taped books). They ship stuff out literally 1-2 days after auction ends. They have amazing customer service. The name of the auction sounds cool. They have great images and scanning quality. Yeah I can see why they sell at high prices.

I understand the prior point about their ebay presence, but doesn't ebay take a 10% cut, which when added to Sparkle's commission rate (I don't know what that is), can be a significant chunk.

Of course, if the auction achieves an exorbitant price then as a seller you're still making out in the end.

They get alot of great hard to find books. Not only that the books they get are probably the nicest quality in that grade (not talking about the taped books). They ship stuff out literally 1-2 days after auction ends. They have amazing customer service. The name of the auction sounds cool. They have great images and scanning quality. Yeah I can see why they sell at high prices.

Their scans are top notch... Wish I could get my scans to looks that.. They do get great books as well.... I've won a few classics from them and always shipped quickly.

Regarding the price though, I think most auctions are getting big prices on their key books lately.

Also, having their auctions end on a sunday night is a good thing for them. We'll see how their new Wednesday night format works out.

I understand the prior point about their ebay presence, but doesn't ebay take a 10% cut, which when added to Sparkle's commission rate (I don't know what that is), can be a significant chunk.

Of course, if the auction achieves an exorbitant price then as a seller you're still making out in the end.

But eBay's cut would come from SC not the consignor, wouldn't it? hm

SC's commission rate should represent the net to the consignor. I'm pretty sure they bear all incidental selling costs: Ebay fees, Paypal fees, shipping costs.

Also, while they don't have a reserve on the majority of the listings, more listings than previous are showing up with a starting price. That may reflect a change in their policy on their own books, or it may reflect consignors choosing not to roll the dice on certain books going for lowball prices. If Sparkle gives consignors that option, it may be in exchange for a revised commission structure.

One would think so, but I don't know for sure (which is why I asked).

For example, if SC charged a 23% commission would it work out to be: 10% ebay, 3% Paypal, 10% Sparkle City?

I know how Heritage and ComicLink work - and I could care less about ComicConnect - so mainly just curious about SC.

Wait until you see the books being auctioned next Wed.

I have purchased many books from EBay and the seller covers all costs other than shipping. If Sparkle charged a percentage on the final hammer it would have to be disclosed up front and you don't see that in their listings from what I recall.

One would think so, but I don't know for sure (which is why I asked).

For example, if SC charged a 23% commission would it work out to be: 10% ebay, 3% Paypal, 10% Sparkle City?

I know how Heritage and ComicLink work - and I could care less about ComicConnect - so mainly just curious about SC.

You can get details on our consignment services and rates on our website: Sparkle City Comics Consignment info

We started off with a flat 10% on all consignments. We still offer a 10% consignment rate on qualifying books, but due to the recent ebay fee increases we had to come up with a fee scale. Given the fact that we absorb all ebay, paypal, shipping, insurance costs you are still getting a great deal with exposure on the largest online marketplace.

If you have any additional questions please feel free to email, call or PM.

Isn't Carbonaro involved in the new Sparkle City?

Shhh they get mad if you talk about it.

Why? It's pretty common knowledge(at least on the boards).

I think he left recently.

Mike Carbonaro was an employee of Neat Stuff Collectibles. He was never involved with Sparkle City Comics. We parted ways with Mike nearly 2 years ago, around the time that Sparkle City was launched. He is no longer involved or associated with any of our business operations in any way whatsoever. We parted on good terms and wish him the best of luck in his future endeavors.

Does anyone know if they customarily press or "maximize" their books?

i'll be ok with one or the other, but if they press AND maximize them, i'm blocking their stuff on "my ebay."

i'll be ok with one or the other, but if they press AND maximize them, i'm blocking their stuff on "my ebay."

Not sure what you mean by press AND maximize them... As far as we are concerned pressing = maximization. That is what we mean by maximization.

i'm blocking their stuff on "my ebay."

That's cool. You never bid that much anyway.

Not sure what you mean by press AND maximize them... As far as we are concerned pressing = maximization. That is what we mean by maximization.

no worries; you missed my sarcasm. i'm a big fan of y'alls, bid all the time, will continue to do so, and have a hard time thinking of anything i care less about than the revelation you press books. well, i may care less about the comic cavalcade run.