• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does everything look correct with this BLACK Venom Cover??

20 posts in this topic

Before I purchase this today, I read online that there are some counterfeits out there, so I wanted to check with you all to ensure it's legit. Obviously you can't grade a book with these photos, but would be a decent price for a book is a few different respective grades. It's listed as NM, but we all know that could mean anything.

3I93Ff3Na5Nb5Mc5J8d5r2d42bbcc38ce1737_zps6152f792.jpg

3Kf3F53Ld5N55Jb5M2d5ra57c6007f9921bac_zps5766fbfd.jpg

sellers.

I am more curious as to say, whats an 8.0-ish range. Like I said, it states NM, but that could mean anything.....If it's any worse than 8.0 in appearance, i'd probably pass. Unless of course, you all think a lower grade is worth more than the asking price.

regardless of the grade here's the info on how to tell if a Venom #1 is counterfeit

Counterfeits have a Marvel logo in upper-left hand corner that is made to appear like a normal unaffected logo. Genuine misprints have a logo that is an obviously errored blue box/squared logo, but you can still make out the "Marvel Comics" impression with some. Genuine copies also have some of the red laserfoil intended to be printed on the cover still there, but it will differ from issue to issue. The "Lethal Protector" text may not be visible on all copies. Counterfeits have an all black background. Below is an example of a genuine misprint.

(source: http://www.comiccollectorlive.com/forum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=6948 )

And here's what the CCL author said here on the boards:

In the future, the main thing to be concerned about when worring about V:LP#1 counterfeits is the Marvel logo. If the Marvel logo looks 100% normal, but surround by black, then be weary. The amount of laser foil on these issues is going to vary significantly. Some look like there is none, but there are traces of it when you look closely. By "all black background", it really means "printed black". If you have a background that looks printed black, and a Marvel logo that looks normal, stay away.

LInk to CGC board conversation about this book

138532.jpg.af26bdf9e183a69fe140d9c58c152de9.jpg

I dont think its the black cover error.... The Marvel logo looks to good. All of the error versions I see online (raw or slabbed) are far more muddled.

Unless this isnt supposed to be the error cover, and Im just a knucklehead.

So then does the Marvel logo pictured above look wrong for a black copy? I'd say it looks normal which is apparently a bad sign if I'm read the explanation correctly...?

correct. Black error copies should have logos that look like this:

138533.jpg.1f3592ca7a315f2d7319122697b1a6cb.jpg

I thought it was an error cover! It (IMO) has red foil on the bottom and black on the top....and you can't read the lethal protector logo. Well . Glad I asked now.....not sure what this book is.

this one looks like the regular red foil cover (you can see the red foil in one photo). Its just the angle at which the photo is being taken make it less visible.

I don't think that's correct.....the red one is really RED!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Venom-Lethal-Protector-1-Issue-Marvel-Comics-Feb-1993-Foil-Cover-Spider-Man-/310541034289?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item484db02331

I thought it was an error cover! It (IMO) has red foil on the bottom and black on the top....and you can't read the lethal protector logo. Well . Glad I asked now.....not sure what this book is.

I think in hand with the light on it you'll have no problem reading the log and there will be red foil on the whole thing (you can see a little of the red foil webbing at the top in one photo).

Its all from the angle of the photo leaving the light not reflecting off the red making it look black.

I think in hand with the light on it you'll have no problem reading the log and there will be red foil on the whole thing (you can see a little of the red foil webbing at the top in one photo).

Its all from the angle of the photo leaving the light not reflecting off the red making it look black.

Which looks very intentional.

Yeah, you need to out the seller, too. If it's being represented as a cover error version, that's a blatant lie.

If it's just being sold as a regular book with no mention of any error I would still avoid this person as they seem to be trying to be deliberately deceptive about this book

+1 - I agree. Thanks for the info on the black foil. Always liked that misprint.

I own a copy and it does not look like mine. The logo is wrong and there is too much red in the comic. As said above it looks like the regular copy tilted to look darker.

The only thing I will add if that they never call it the "BLACK ERROR" copy so I think they are covering themselves. Saying its rare and showing it at an angle. Also a NM copy would go for $750 plus. A 9.8 sold on auction last month for I think $1,200.

The book is on craigslist, not eBay. Here is the link....

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/clt/3832473829.html

In fact, in reading the ad it doesn't even mention black cover. I guess I just assumed it was because it appears 'black!'

Either way, no way that guy is getting $125 from me now.

The Craigslist ad does not say anything about a black cover or misprint.

However, the fact that the seller uses the word "rare", he has pictures that make the cover appear black, and he has it priced like a black cover misprint could mislead many to believe that this must be the black cover misprint.