• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Moving your comic collection - any tips?

19 posts in this topic

I'll be moving from Georgia to Virginia in a couple months and I'm trying to figure out the best way to move my comics SAFELY. I have about 30 long boxes plus a few short boxes with CGC books.

Any tips on the best way to go about this? I'm not averse to hiring movers, but I'm not sure if that's the best solution

Thanks!

Rent a truck/van and drive them yourself.

Does anyone have any problems with advice saying make sure the boxes are packed as full as possible? I'd even go so far as to say turn every 25 books around so all the spines are not on one side.

-slym

Do it yourself. I packed my long boxes when I moved a few years ago. Well, really I did the whole move myself. At the time, they had to be loaded in the U'Haul.

If I was moving now I'd put them in my wife's mini van. That way I wouldn't have to worry about stuff falling on them.

Do it yourself. No one else understands what you have or why it is a problem if they drop them or bang them around. If strangers are doing it for you, duct tape all the boxes shut with one long piece of tape around the middle of the box (top to bottom), so halfway there someone doesn't get curious and want to see what's in the boxes.

I've received shipped longboxes in the past. For raws, assuming contents are bagged and boarded (the stronger the boards, the better), you need 2 lids/longbox, newspaper and packing tape. Fill the box with books tight (but not over tight). Make sure the books on each end of the longbox face inward/boards outward to box ends. Place crumpled newspaper on top of the comics to fill in gaps between comic tops and top lid. You can also use newspaper on one side of the box if it is not full. Put the other lid on the bottom of the longbox to reinforce it. Wrap ends and middle with tape to secure lids to box. Also tape on labels as needed to ID contents - but use code so as not to indicate anything of more/less value. Insure fully with shipper or separate policy. Ship freely.

FYI I am in Atlanta as well, perhaps we can trade/view collections before you depart. Have at. least 30 longs, heavy on silver age.

I'll be moving from Georgia to Virginia in a couple months and I'm trying to figure out the best way to move my comics SAFELY. I have about 30 long boxes plus a few short boxes with CGC books.

Any tips on the best way to go about this? I'm not averse to hiring movers, but I'm not sure if that's the best solution

Thanks!

I moved over 1.5 years ago from Colorado to Virginia, and had very minimum damage (5 books) because I had Graebel do the following:

- Pack two magazine boxes per dishpack box.

- Insert packing paper below the boxes, to the side of boxes, and on top of the boxes inside the dishpack box.

- Security seal the bottom and top of the dishpack boxes since these were going into storage for an extended period of time.

For your part to help out, I would insert bubblewrap inside the magazine box (if you have magazine boxes) to address any book movement.

The only reason the five books were damaged is because at one point the packer started cramming packing paper inside the magazine boxes, and started jamming the paper in-between the books. We noted this and addressed it during delivery.

I had to move a few times in the last 10 years, and every time I always move my drums and comics by myself, in a separate load. I would always form my drums into a little "fort", and stack my comic boxes in the middle. Stack them in a criss cross pattern (like boxes on a pallet) and use a flattened cardboard box in between each layer.

If its not possible to take them in a separate load, then I would pack the boxes last in the truck, and unload them first, so they spend as little time as possible out in the elements.

I moved 3 times in the last 6-7 years. Once from NH back to FL, and twice since I've been back here. I have about 9,000+ books. I just do it myself. I put the boxes all the way to the front of the moving truck, and stack them about 4 high. I have not sustained any damage doing it this way. It definitely sucks though.