• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do I tell if the package I bought was insured or not?

40 posts in this topic

I recently purchased a few books and I would like to know if the books were insured like the seller had promised. The package was sent with signature confirmation, but I do not believe that means the package was insured, is there a way to determine this?

If I enter the tracking number into USPS would an insured package come up under the features tab?

Thanks for the help!

if the seller had a collectibles insurance policy as a dealer, then he would have $2,000 of insurance per package with just a pink signature confirmation label. So it could absolutely have been insured but you not seen it.

joey

if the seller had a collectibles insurance policy as a dealer, then he would have $2,000 of insurance per package with just a pink signature confirmation label. So it could absolutely have been insured but you not seen it.

joey

So in that case there would be know way for me to tell correct?

It says "Insured" on the label.

Not always correct.

Ebay offers sellers the option of ShipCover Insurance, which is discounted compared to USPS insurance. Because this has nothing to do with the USPS, when you generate a label it does not show up. But the package is insured.

joey

Correct, and there are several other private insurances that would not show up.

I am not sure why it matters.

In 99.9% of online transactions, insurance is for the seller. If your books do not arrive in the condition described, it is the seller who is on the hook to make it right.

joey

In 99.9% of online transactions, insurance is for the seller. If your books do not arrive in the condition described, it is the seller who is on the hook to make it right.

agree with this - whey do you want to know?

I recently purchased a few books and I would like to know if the books were insured like the seller had promised. The package was sent with signature confirmation, but I do not believe that means the package was insured, is there a way to determine this?

If I enter the tracking number into USPS would an insured package come up under the features tab?

Thanks for the help!

None of our packages are marked with insurance.

But most of them are insured.

joey

I just wanted to make sure I got what I was paying for and the person didn't just jack the price up an put the extra money in their pocket. But what you guys said makes sense, thanks for the input :)

joey

I just wanted to make sure I got what I was paying for and the person didn't just jack the price up an put the extra money in their pocket. But what you guys said makes sense, thanks for the input :)

Geez! What did they charge for shipping and insurance that warranted all this discussion?

:popcorn:

joey

Geez! What did they charge for shipping and insurance that warranted all this discussion?

:popcorn:

it was $25

I hope sellers put as much money in their pocket as possible. It makes it more likely that they will be around and happy to do business with me in the future.

Well yes and no, dont wanna pay 5x the actual shipping cost. MOre money the buyer saves more likely hell buy again :)

I hope sellers put as much money in their pocket as possible. It makes it more likely that they will be around and happy to do business with me in the future.

Well yes and no, dont wanna pay 5x the actual shipping cost. MOre money the buyer saves more likely hell buy again :)

Was this through eBay? If so demand proof it was insured, if he or she can't provide some proof then ding the hell out of the stars for the cost of shipping if it was 5X what the label cost to ship.

joey

The inflated sense of buyer entitlement these days is absolutely nuts. Sellers have to cover packaging materials, cover the shipping, and now insurance. To say nothing of the situations where buyers want to pay the cheapest shipping rate possible, or ask that insurance not be used as it would contradict the low declared value they ask the seller to declare to help the buyer avoid paying duties. Let's blame the sellers in these situations as well. meh

Buyer is always on the hook to pay actual shipping, and 9 out of 10 times insurance is incorporated in the cost of the shipping service. IF the item requires additional insurance above and beyond what the shipping service offers, I don't understand this notion that anyone but the buyer should be paying for insurance coverage. If a buyer doesn't want to pay insurance for a high-end piece, they shouldn't be in the market for such an expensive item. (shrug)

The inflated sense of buyer entitlement these days is absolutely nuts. Sellers have to cover packaging materials, cover the shipping, and now insurance. To say nothing of the situations where buyers want to pay the cheapest shipping rate possible, or ask that insurance not be used as it would contradict the low declared value they ask the seller to declare to help the buyer avoid paying duties. Let's blame the sellers in these situations as well. meh

Buyer is always on the hook to pay actual shipping, and 9 out of 10 times insurance is incorporated in the cost of the shipping service. IF the item requires additional insurance above and beyond what the shipping service offers, I don't understand this notion that anyone but the buyer should be paying for insurance coverage. If a buyer doesn't want to pay insurance for a high-end piece, they shouldn't be in the market for such an expensive item. (shrug)

It is not a "notion". It is simply part of the contract you have agreed to as a seller with virtually every third party selling platform: Ebay, Amazon, etc.

It also makes perfect sense:

Seller is responsible to get item to buyer in advertised condition

Seller packs the item

Seller contracts with the carrier

Until it arrives in agreed condition, it is the responsibility of the seller. They can choose to insure it or not as far as I am concerned, if I am the buyer.

It also evens the playing field for all sellers as many unscrupulous sellers used to attempt to add insurance after the fact to an already agreed upon price. If everyone better understood where ownership lies, there would not be as many issues.

joey

I dont have an inflated sense of entitlement, you young troll.

I was taken aback when I received my package that I paid 25 dollars for and it had a MEDIA MAIL stamp on it. Taking all things into consideration unless hes using gold foil as packing material its not costing him 25 bucks to ship.

And the BUYER pays the shipping not the seller.