• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lou Ferrigno

155 posts in this topic

**Schwarzenegger official height of 6'2" (1.88 m) has been brought into question by several articles. In his bodybuilding days in the late 1960s, he was measured to be 6'1.5" (1.87 m), a height confirmed by his fellow bodybuilders.[30][31] However, in 1988 both the Daily Mail and Time Out magazine mentioned that Schwarzenegger appeared noticeably shorter.[32] Prior to running for Governor, Schwarzenegger's height was once again questioned in an article by the Chicago Reader.[33] As Governor, Schwarzenegger engaged in a light-hearted exchange with Assemblyman Herb Wesson over their heights. At one point Wesson made an unsuccessful attempt to, in his own words, "ettle this once and for all and find out how tall he is"[34] by using a tailor's tape measure on the Governor. Schwarzenegger retaliated by placing a pillow stitched with the words "Need a lift?" on the five-foot-five inch (165 cm) Wesson's chair before a negotiating session in his office.[35] Bob Mulholland also claimed Arnold was 5'10" (1.78 m) and that he wore risers in his boots.[36] The debate on Schwarzenegger's height has spawned a website solely dedicated to the issue,[37] and his page remains one of the most active on CelebHeights.com, a website which discusses the heights of celebrities.[30] Men's Health magazine has estimated his height at 5'10".[27]

You can find more than enough pictures of Arnold next to Lou (or plenty of other celebrities of known heights) to know he was an inch or so over 6' during his bodybuilding days. People always debate height within a few inches due to the illusion created by variable shoe heights and posture stances that vary height by an inch or three. I'm 6' 1.5" and my 6' 1" girlfriend likes to walk up right next to me and ask "what's it like to be short?" whenever she puts on shoes before I do or when she wears heels. :makepoint: More than that, Arnold draws this kind of talk because his entire specialty before acting was related to size. He has shrunk a bit over the last decade or so and is around 6' or slightly under. Same thing has happened to Bill Clinton, he has gone from about 6' 1.5" as president to around 6' today. Wonder if bodybuilders tend to shrink more than the average person once they hit their 60s and 70s due to stress or repetitive compression from squat-thrusts and such? (shrug)hm I don't think everyone shrinks...my dad is 65 and is my exact same height and hasn't shrunk at all. Not sure what contributes to it.

Not sure what contributes to it.

I'd guess and say it has something to do primarily with the condition of the joints (moisture, density) and also posture.

I'd guess and say it has something to do primarily with the condition of the joints (moisture, density) and also posture.

Far as I can recall Arnold has always had great posture. So why'd he shrink when many don't? I haven't heard of him having joint issues--not that I'd know. I suppose you mostly hear of that when pro athletes have joint issues since it keeps them from playing, but not actors.

Far as I can recall Arnold has always had great posture. So why'd he shrink when many don't? I haven't heard of him having joint issues--not that I'd know. I suppose you mostly hear of that when pro athletes have joint issues since it keeps them from playing, but not actors.

I'm guessing a lifetime of lifting weight as a body builder will compress the joints and reduce over all height. Arnold has been lifting since he was a young teen.

What did your dad do for a living? Did he do something that wasn't physically stressful?

Could also be related to drying them out from extreme dietary choices. A body builder's diet is generally not optimal for health, it's optimal for gaining size.

How many vertical joints are there from the ankles to the top of the neck that affect height? About 25 in the spine, plus you have hips, knees, ankles, some in the feet - so we're talking about 30 joints. Take just a sliver of height from each one and you lose height over all.

What did your dad do for a living? Did he do something that wasn't physically stressful?

Shipping and receiving, so every day involved unloading and loading trucks or moving boxes around. He was in the army and has always been thin and kept in decent shape and had great posture, usually around 185 to 195.

Shipping and receiving, so every day involved unloading and loading trucks or moving boxes around. He was in the army and has always been thin and kept in decent shape and had great posture, usually around 185 to 195.

Then it may just be genetics - a combination of being thin (light weight so less stress on joints) and strong skeletal structure.

Has he had knee or hip problems? If not, that's probably it.

Then it may just be genetics - a combination of being thin (light weight so less stress on joints) and strong skeletal structure.

Nope, no joint issues. That's been my guess, luck of the genetic draw. So many aspects of health seem to be impossible to pin on anything besides genetic magic. :blush:

Nope, no joint issues. That's been my guess, luck of the genetic draw. So many aspects of health seem to be impossible to pin on anything besides genetic magic. :blush:

There's much more to it than just genetics. If he was raised to sustain himself on a diet which is very rich in nutrients that nourish the joints than that will affect his body just as much as genetics will.

Not saying that's the case but that is always something to factor in.

I'd wager an educated guess to say that your lifelong habits are just as responsible for your physical health as your genetics are...and I'm not just talking about smoking or drinking booze. I'm talking about all the little things you consume over your life.

You literally are what you do (or eat, or think or etc) all the time. I really think that the majority of the population does not comprehend that.

my sister interviewed him Saturday in Niagara falls, said he was a total

That was my experience with him too about 10 yrs ago...I usually don't care to get autographs or "meet" the celebrities at these cons...but my son at the time was a big fan of the tv show on DVD and he was about 8-9 at the time.

Ferrigno is a total tool....

There's much more to it than just genetics. If he was raised to sustain himself on a diet which is very rich in nutrients that nourish the joints than that will affect his body just as much as genetics will.

I'd wager an educated guess to say that your lifelong habits are just as responsible for your physical health as your genetics are...and I'm not just talking about smoking or drinking booze. I'm talking about all the little things you consume over your life.

You literally are what you do (or eat, or think or etc) all the time. I really think that the majority of the population does not comprehend that.

This is 100% dead on Roy. Genetics and life style play a huge part on overall health. Other favors are equal as important including mental attitude, healthy relationships and stress level. (How you manage stress, cioping skills, etc...)

I work as a RN in a cardiac surgery intensive care unit (open heart surgeries, heart transplants, heart valves and other things) and I see first hand what role these factors play.

This is 100% dead on Roy. Genetics and life style play a huge part on overall health. Other favors are equal as important including mental attitude, healthy relationships and stress level. (How you manage stress, cioping skills, etc...)

I work as a RN in a cardiac surgery intensive care unit (open heart surgeries, heart transplants, heart valves and other things) and I see first hand what role these factors play.

Sounds like you're both now commenting very broadly and generally about overall health--I've got no reason to believe that almost anything that either of you just cited explains why some people shrink and others don't. I suspect the causes that directly lead to it to be far more narrow and specific than the general combination of diet, mental attitude, relationships, and stress. I'd pick posture over every one of those, although it didn't seem to help Arnold and Bill Clinton as they both had decent posture in most photographs I've seen. (shrug)

Does no one on the board have old family? Old people shrink. My 95 year old grandfather is 5 inches shorter than when he was a 19 year old in the army, and his posture is fine. People age differently. If Ahnold is an inch or 2 shorter than his prime it is related to his being a senior.

As discussed, people age differently for a whole bunch of reasons.

Sounds like you're both now commenting very broadly and generally about overall health--I've got no reason to believe that almost anything that either of you just cited explains why some people shrink and others don't. I suspect the causes that directly lead to it to be far more narrow and specific than the general combination of diet, mental attitude, relationships, and stress. I'd pick posture over every one of those, although it didn't seem to help Arnold and Bill Clinton as they both had decent posture in most photographs I've seen. (shrug)

Like I said, small, seemingly insignificant habits over the course of a lifetime have a profound effect on the body. An old man once told me it's not the big things you do once in a while, it's the little things you do all the time.

Eliminating purely genetic reasons, the reduction in height is almost surely related to either posture (which I understand is a reflex and likely directly related to vitality and confidence) and joint shrinkage.

If the posture is good, that only leaves skeletal shrinkage. I know joints wear thinner although I'm willing to admit that it is possible that bones also condense and shorten over time as well but I don't know if that happens or not - do bones shorten over time?

Now lets say that regardless of genetics, you are raised and continue with a lifelong diet that doesn't support the joints and skeletal structure - you end up weakening that part of the body over a lifetime. That's what I was getting at.

Everything your body does, everything your body thinks/believes and everything your body consumes has an effect on the body over the course of your life. Outside of the big bad abuses we put on our body like lack of physical exercise, and chemical abuses, medical science really is just scratching the surface of how the body is affected by everything.

Eastern cultures have believed for centuries (or even 1000's of years) that thoughts and foods directly affect the development of the body. Those beliefs were a little less received by Western medicine until relatively recently.

Here is a picture of Lou and my brother. This was less than an hour before my wedding..at comic con..

138569.jpg

Got Married at Comiccon? Thats cool... Where the pics? Or are they posted allready and I forgot