• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Misprint Grading

23 posts in this topic

Any grading experts out there have an understanding on the effect of a misprint on a grade?

For instance the below book is misprinted or the printing is misaligned leaving a uncolored portion at the top of cover 1/8 of an inch colorless strip. How dramatic is this for grading?

f318db5e-44e7-496d-bbf1-c97e3013a72a_zpsff5b00f8.jpg[/img]

The Overstreet Grading Guide has a complex naming system for the centering of a cover, and the angles at which a book is miscut. CGC seems not to care about any of these things.

If it really bugs you, take 0.5 off between 6.0 and 8.5. Less than 6.0, no effect. Higher than 8.5.. not my department!

This might be a better photo. You can see the printer marks on the top left corner where the ink was lined up. The tan portion is not the interior pages, but the cover without ink on it.

5b9dfcff-5115-4618-9614-c83ce8e52158_zpsa87eaa50.jpg[/img]

My experience is that there isn't much--if any--effect on the grade. I would be surprised if this copy received a grade different than it would have received without the miswrap.

Hi Johnny, this is not a misprint, as it has nothing to do with printing, rather it is a miscut, which is manufactury related.

Since it is not that bad I guess it should be treated as we treat moderate miswraps, i.e. affecting the grade just in a very slight way.

So very likely the 5.5 is due to other defects, imo.

Got the notes back the only thing was - "whole book tanning"

Huh? What? Re-SUb!?!?!?

Why would you want to re-sub? (shrug)

You can see the tan pages through the slab. Tan pages will kill the grade for CGC.

A re-sub would be a waste of money here.

It shouldn't take an 8.0 to a 5.5 that is way too dramatic of a reduction and not in line with other tanned GA books I have submitted and had graded.

The difference between a 5.5 of ST 28 and a 6.0, 6.5, 7.0 is orders of magnitudes more than what it would cost to resubmit.

How can there be tan pages if the holder says "CREAM to OFF-WHITE pages"?

The edges of the pages are tanning, not that the pages themselves are tan colored. You open the book and there will be tanning all around the edges of the pages, with the center of the page being cream/off-white.

It shouldn't take an 8.0 to a 5.5 that is way too dramatic of a reduction and not in line with other tanned GA books I have submitted and had graded.

The difference between a 5.5 of ST 28 and a 6.0, 6.5, 7.0 is orders of magnitudes more than what it would cost to resubmit.

If you don't believe me, resubmit it. Just don't complain if it comes back the same grade or even lower. (shrug)

How can there be tan pages if the holder says "CREAM to OFF-WHITE pages"?

The edges of the pages are tanning, not that the pages themselves are tan colored. You open the book and there will be tanning all around the edges of the pages, with the center of the page being cream/off-white.

Just fuelin' the re-submitting fire.

If you don't believe me, resubmit it. Just don't complain if it comes back the same grade or even lower. (shrug)

Not a chance it is coming back lower...I plan on resubmitting, stay tuned.

I would not risk to resubmit it, if I was in your shoes, Johnny.

Personally I avoid books with tanning around the edges – if tanning is heavy yes it can be so much downgraded I guess. I doubt you’ll get more than a 6.0 from what the pictures show (they are a bit blurry).

I was figuring the grade was due to staining ( in this case tanning). Cgc hammers for that and many disagree. I personally would much rather have staining or tanning than color breaking creases etc. To each their own. The problem is people place way too much stock in the numerical grade and cgc is the only horse in town. They don't have a technical monopoly but they have a monopoly.