• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OVERSTREET? who pays that price? therefore inaccurate..

51 posts in this topic

we should all just make up comic values.. I guage the grade value of a comic in a CGC holder (never raw), than average that comic over a 6 month period using ebay and heritage as a reference, (since that is the market)

Using Overstreet to determine what you should pay for an item is like asking your ex wife if you are paying to much in alimony.

Knowledge of the market and drawing from a wide variety of data (dealer sites, GPA, auction sites, forums, etc.) is as important as mining Overstreet, if not more so. Gone are the days when it was the bible. Not that it isn't still a mandatory book to have on your shelf.

we should all just make up comic values.. I guage the grade value of a comic in a CGC holder (never raw), than average that comic over a 6 month period using ebay and heritage as a reference, (since that is the market)

Using Overstreet to determine what you should pay for an item is like asking your ex wife if you are paying to much in alimony.

Tell me what I am supposed to sell my comics in my two threads then, please.

-slym

Are you saying they are too high or too low?

How else does the common collector know if he's getting a good deal or ripped off :baiting:

So, people setting up a shows and selling isn't the market or part of it? Brick and mortar shops and online stores aren't the market or part of it? (shrug)

It's fine for you to use the method you do to determine a price, but people out there use all kinds of factors when pricing books.

I know some dealers that will only use Overstreet. I know some that base their selling price on their cost. Some will only use GPA.

I use Overstreet a lot, actually. I use it mostly as a reference guide, although I do pay attention to the prices, I know that ultimately, it's up to me what I'm willing to pay for something.

Don't throw the Overstreet away so quickly, my friend, as it still has its usefulness. :preach:

-slym

Check Overstreet, check eBay, search the forum sales, check the auction sites (CL, HA, CCo), to be safe, check GPA to see what it goes for in that price slabbed... At that point you should have a good idea.

There are lots of comic sellers that still use it. I see it all the time a shows I attend and they are actually selling comics.

However, I completely agree with the following.

Knowledge of the market and drawing from a wide variety of data (dealer sites, GPA, auction sites, forums, etc.) is as important as mining Overstreet, if not more so. Gone are the days when it was the bible. Not that it isn't still a mandatory book to have on your shelf.

-slym

Check Overstreet, check eBay, search the forum sales, check the auction sites (CL, HA, CCo), to be safe, check GPA to see what it goes for in that price slabbed... At that point you should have a good idea.

Ebay only shows the past months' sold auctions - not enough of a sample for my tastes, but it does help.

Moreover, I was asking the OP. No offense intended, CG.

-slym

lol If this ain't coherent, I don't know what is. :foryou:

I use GPA and try to see a books trend, price fluxes with page color, but then again I paid almost double GPA last night for a rare book. Overstreet is out of date by the time it hits the shelves. (my opinion)

OSPG isn't for graded books, and GPA isn't for raws.

-slym

I use GPA and try to see a books trend, price fluxes with page color, but then again I paid almost double GPA last night for a rare book. Overstreet is out of date by the time it hits the shelves. (my opinion)

OSPG isn't for graded books, and GPA isn't for raws.

-slym

Very true! I stopped buying raws a while ago. Too much resto and really, my grading skills are through rose colored glasses when it's a book I really want.

Overstreet Price LAW GUIDE

Dictionary.com definition:

guide [gahyd] Show IPA verb, guid·ed, guid·ing, noun

verb (used with object)

to assist (a person) to travel through, or reach a destination in, an unfamiliar area, as by accompanying or giving directions to the person: He guided us through the forest.

to accompany (a sightseer) to show points of interest and to explain their meaning or significance.

to force (a person, object, or animal) to move in a certain path.

to supply (a person) with advice or counsel, as in practical or spiritual affairs.

to supervise (someone's actions or affairs) in an advisory capacity.

So, people setting up a shows and selling isn't the market or part of it? (shrug):preach:

I would say shows are not part of the market, shows are an event that people realize they will be spending money at, and realize they may

overpay as part of that event. God knows I have, when it's over I usually say "why did I buy this?"

My hammer pounds nails and my screwdriver drives screws. If you use your tools for the purpose which they were designed, you will be well severed. I have an electric screwdriver but I still use my hand driver on occasion. Sometimes OSPG is the right tool, sometimes it is not.

So, people setting up a shows and selling isn't the market or part of it? (shrug):preach:

I would say shows are not part of the market, shows are an event that people realize they will be spending money at, and realize they may

overpay as part of that event. God knows I have, when it's over I usually say "why did I buy this?"

A comic show is not part of the market? Are you for real?

Personally, I use a 2-3 year old OSPG and market knowledge gained here and on eBay, since those are the primary two places I shop. I still pick a few books up on Clink.

I quit my GPA membership several months ago, which has left me in the dark a bit, but I found that the $120 subscription per year didn't really make sense, when the only time I won anything was at 50-70% GPA or less, which was all I really cared to bid anyway. I can throw out low-ball bids pretty well without knowing what the high end is.

It might make sense to resubscribe to GPA and buy a new OSPG when I get to serioiusly liquidating my collection.