• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OVERSTREET? who pays that price? therefore inaccurate..

51 posts in this topic

My hammer pounds nails and my screwdriver drives screws. If you use your tools for the purpose which they were designed, you will be well severed.

:eek: is that a threat?

So, people setting up a shows and selling isn't the market or part of it? (shrug):preach:

I would say shows are not part of the market, shows are an event that people realize they will be spending money at, and realize they may

overpay as part of that event. God knows I have, when it's over I usually say "why did I buy this?"

A comic show is not part of the market? Are you for real?

I'd say, read over his OP and decide for yourself.

-slym

So, people setting up a shows and selling isn't the market or part of it? (shrug):preach:

I would say shows are not part of the market, shows are an event that people realize they will be spending money at, and realize they may

overpay as part of that event. God knows I have, when it's over I usually say "why did I buy this?"

A comic show is not part of the market? Are you for real?

:troll:

My hammer pounds nails and my screwdriver drives screws. If you use your tools for the purpose which they were designed, you will be well severed.

:eek: is that a threat?

ha ha I think it is my iPhone threatening me in a Maximum Overdrive sort of way.

Haven't opened an OSPG to look up values in years now. Not that it isn't useful. It was VERY useful when I first entered the market but 10 years on, I know what I want and what price I am willing to pay for it.

As for shows, I am sure many people here will attest to that, shows are where I have received some of my best deals, either for my collection or for flipping.

hmmm... I always thought this way.

1) Any item is worth what you can get for it. No more.

2) You should price the item at the price that you are willing to sell it for. No more.

I know the conventional wisdom is too price items higher than you are willing to sell them for. Just in case you find an idjit. But seriously folks. Is your life all about squeezing out every penny you can, from everything you are involved in?

Lighten up and enjoy life. It goes past as fast as the blink of an eye. Make someone happy now and then, by giving them something they want at a more than decent price. Quit chasing the almighty dollar, like it had magical powers. It does not. Twenty bucks here or there, is NOT going to change your life. But the smile you get when you make someone happy about a "deal" they got from you, WILL change your life.

2) You should price the item at the price that you are willing to sell it for. No more.

I know the conventional wisdom is too price items higher than you are willing to sell them for. Just in case you find an idjit. But seriously folks. Is your life all about squeezing out every penny you can, from everything you are involved in?

Lighten up and enjoy life. It goes past as fast as the blink of an eye. Make someone happy now and then, by giving them something they want at a more than decent price. Quit chasing the almighty dollar, like it had magical powers. It does not. Twenty bucks here or there, is NOT going to change your life. But the smile you get when you make someone happy about a "deal" they got from you, WILL change your life.

I like that! :golfclap:

Preach it brother!

Heck, I don't even think the comic books should be part of the market. Comics are just the silly biproduct of a media merchandising campaign geared at separating the humble and mindless masses from their hard earned cash.

Heck, I don't even think the comic books should be part of the market. Comics are just the silly biproduct of a media merchandising campaign geared at separating the humble and mindless masses from their hard earned cash.

I haven't seen comics in the market for nearly 20 years. Some of my older comics still trigger a memory of the smell of the Kroger produce section, though. I treasure that.

we should all just make up comic values.. I guage the grade value of a comic in a CGC holder (never raw), than average that comic over a 6 month period using ebay and heritage as a reference, (since that is the market)

Using Overstreet to determine what you should pay for an item is like asking your ex wife if you are paying to much in alimony.

Overstreet is just a guide. It was never meant to be a 'bible' of any kind. There are many more references that deal with comic book pricing. If you are buying slabbed books, GPA is much more accurate, but it should be stated that GPA is just a guide as well.

In the end, as someone always said, we make the market. It is up to you to pay what you feel is right.

'There is no spoon...'

-The Matrix

lol

One good think about Overstreet is that it is more or less immune to fads. Sometimes a book will get very hot for a while and sell for multiples of guide, but chances are it will come back down to earth in a couple of years and be much closer to the OPG price. The guide has never been completely accurate, though. It tends to overvalue certain titles, like World's Finest and Walt Disney's Comics and Stories, and undervalue non-key books with highly sought-after covers.

And if you're talking about a "single highest-graded copy" of anything mainstream, all bets are off.

Overstreet is just a guide.

(thumbs u

Though I do hope Bob Overstreet realizes his publication will have to become more modern in terms of becoming sophisticated (i.e.: online, regular market updates, et al).

Don't get me wrong, I buy the guide every year but there is someone that will beat Overstreet to the punch. I'd pay a monthly or yearly subscription fee for a site like that.

we should all just make up comic values.. I guage the grade value of a comic in a CGC holder (never raw), than average that comic over a 6 month period using ebay and heritage as a reference, (since that is the market)

Using Overstreet to determine what you should pay for an item is like asking your ex wife if you are paying to much in alimony.

There are lots of comic sellers that still use it. I see it all the time a shows I attend and they are actually selling comics.

However, I completely agree with the following.

Knowledge of the market and drawing from a wide variety of data (dealer sites, GPA, auction sites, forums, etc.) is as important as mining Overstreet, if not more so. Gone are the days when it was the bible. Not that it isn't still a mandatory book to have on your shelf.

Jethro? My god, that's quite a makeover