• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pacific Rim - where 250 foot robots become reality

101 posts in this topic

Charlie Hunnam Is Hoping For Fewer Visual Effects And More Focus On Story In PACIFIC RIM 2

While talking to EW about his next role in Guy Ritchie's King Arthur, Pacific Rim star Charlie Hunnam acknowledged these narrative issues, and claimed he'd like to see the sequel rein in some of the special effects, and instead put more focus on story and character.

"When it becomes very technical, those technical aspects create a rigidity to the process. Then all of the sudden, you have to find where your little place to fit into that process is, as opposed to the whole thing being about you... I think world creation and monster creation and all of that stuff is exciting as a secondary element of storytelling. When it becomes more important than storytelling, I get very nervous, and you sort of lose me a little bit."

"Although we tried very hard on Pacific Rim to marry those two elements, I do feel like ultimately it got weighed heavier on the side of spectacle than storytelling. Not to say I wasn’t proud of the film. I really liked it, and I felt like it delivered exactly what it was supposed to. But I do feel like we could have maybe plumbed the depths of the character and the storytelling a little bit more."

I've watched this movie a couple of times. I'd agree they went more for the action than the real character development.

Other than Mako's childhood, leading to why she had the fears and drive that she did.

Guillermo del Toro Reveals Who's Returning In Pacific Rim 2

“Charlie Day has a great part but so does Charlie Hunnam,” del Toro told a group of reporters according to a recent Slashfilm report. “I think that everybody or most everybody that survived is back. The rest we killed. We killed half the cast.”

The answer was in response to questions raised when del Toro said that Day and Burn Gorman’s scientists were "main characters" in Pacific Rim 2, prompting some to wonder whether the Jaeger pilots would be less significant in the sequel.

Guillermo Del Toro Says Pacific Rim 2 Is Still A Go

EW.com caught up with the director to get the scoop with Guillermo del Toro stating as far as he is concerned, Pacific Rim 2 is still happening.

“We are still turning in a screenplay and a budget in three weeks,” Guillermo Del Toro said. “As far as I’m concerned, it’s not gone. We’re still on it.”

Del Toro did confirm Pacific Rim 2 has been delayed.

“It moved further,” he said. “I may do another movie in the middle.”

Del Toro did pass on WB's Justice League Dark movie for Pacific Rim 2, but now with word of PR2 being delayed, we can hope Guillermo Del Toro will now do JLD.

:wishluck:

Former DAREDEVIL Showrunner Steven S. DeKnight Will Direct PACIFIC RIM 2

After a lot of back-and-forth it looks like plans for a sequel to the 2013 Jaeger Vs. Kaiju sci-fi action flick, Pacific Rim, are officially under way.

Guillermo del Toro has taken to Twitter to announce that Spartacus creator and showrunner for the first season of Marvel and Netflix's Daredevil, Steven S. DeKnight, will direct the follow-up. This marks DeKnight's first foray into feature directing, though he has worked on numerous TV projects as both as writer and director.

Having been a while since I saw the first film, in watching it today I was surprised how much Guillermo del Toro got right with this film. Including partnering again with Ron Perlman.

And the hint of what was coming in Pacific Rim 2 near the end, and I never picked up on this with decisions Dr. Newton Geiszler made.

It's been leaked. Gygpy Danger will be doing a charity boxing match for that UFC guy.