• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Columbia Comics Positive Review of "Man of Steel" No Spoilers

18 posts in this topic

First off, let me preface this by saying that ever since I saw the first teaser trailer, this movie was the one...the one big summer blockbuster that I was looking forward to the most. Being a huge DC fan, but not necessarily a Superman fan, it presented what I thought was an opportunity for a film to change my perspective on arguably the most influential comic character ever created.

With that said, two words came to mind when the end credits started rolling: f'ing fantastic!!!

I'm not going to post any spoilers or giveaway so no need to worry. I've read other reviews and comments and while most of the opinions have been positive, I see the same "we didn't need the backlog, etc..." and to that I say...YES YOU DO! The retelling of the origin of Superman is a classic story: one that touches any decent individual deep in their hearts as parents make the ultimate sacrifice for their son. The opening sequence runs the gamut of emotions: from action and excitement to sadness and admiration. And keep in mind that lay persons may not be too familiar with the back story so it's the film's job to bring people up to speed in a modern way.

One of the great things about this film is how it interweaves the past and the present. Watching Kal-El grow up, the interaction between a father and a son and the father's desire to protect his son is very emotional, and at times, brought tears to my eyes. Costner and Lane do an amazing job as the Kent's and the seamless interaction between them and Cavill truly made me believe they were a family.

Touching on the other actors/actresses, Adams did a nice job as Lois Lane but not an outstanding performance. Her roll was limited (in my opinion) and while believable, another actress could have done an equal job. The Lois Lane part wasn't terribly important for this film.

The stars were obviously Cavill and Shannon (Zod). If I close my eyes and picture a modern day Superman, Henry Cavill is what I would like to picture. He's clearly ripped up (crazy diet and exercise), has the mannerisms, the attitude (or lack there of) and emotional range that clearly separate him from other Supermans before him. And frankly, the suit is cool as hell.

Zod on the other hand...for lack of a better word, is a badass. He's ruthless, cruel, self-serving and shows no remorse for any of the actions he takes. He is so consumed by his life's purpose that while you have to cheer for Superman, you also feel a sense of remorse for him, that under different circumstances, he could possibly rise up and become a hero. Unfortunately, his tunnel vision cannot allow this and the battles between him and Superman are epic.

A few other notes:

-the film score was amazing. It was dramatic, inspiring, moving...whatever you want to call it. A bad film score can kill a movie; this one did nothing of the sort. This is one soundtrack that I'll be acquiring very soon.

-the cinematography was excellent. The action was fluid and exciting. The dialog was well written and flowed nicely. And the CGI was perfect. From my perspective, everything looked real. And when Superman was flying, I truly believed they were filming the Man of Steel flying around the world. It was that believable.

Regardless of what the critics and other boardies are saying, DC has build themselves a solid foundation upon which to grow and develop their library of super heroes. While this film has set the bar high, I firmly believe that with the right individuals at the helm, the DC ship is going to give Marvel a serious run for their money over the next 5/7 years.

Marvel > DC

Perhaps for the moment...but a seesaw goes both ways!

As much as I'd like to see DC characters do well on the big screen................... I know that DC will never be able to top what Marvel has done, and will continue to do in the coming years. Marvel has "it" when it comes to making movies.

Marvel > DC

Nuff' said.

:baiting:

Incorrect, but short enough that I actually read it.

Great. That's exactly what I had in mind when I typed it for you. (thumbs u

Sorry dude, I didn't make it past "exactly." lol

Great review! You saw the same movie I did. I'm surprised that this movie is so polarizing for people here on the boards. I thought it was magnificent. The mayhem in the final third was overlong, but that was my only issue. Overall, very well done!

Marvel > DC

Perhaps for the moment...but a seesaw goes both ways!

As much as I'd like to see DC characters do well on the big screen................... I know that DC will never be able to top what Marvel has done, and will continue to do in the coming years. Marvel has "it" when it comes to making movies.

Marvel seems to be "all in" for Guardians of the Galaxy and frankly, I'm thinking its going to be a bomb.

First off, let me preface this by saying that ever since I saw the first teaser trailer, this movie was the one...the one big summer blockbuster that I was looking forward to the most. Being a huge DC fan, but not necessarily a Superman fan, it presented what I thought was an opportunity for a film to change my perspective on arguably the most influential comic character ever created.

With that said, two words came to mind when the end credits started rolling: f'ing fantastic!!!

I'm not going to post any spoilers or giveaway so no need to worry. I've read other reviews and comments and while most of the opinions have been positive, I see the same "we didn't need the backlog, etc..." and to that I say...YES YOU DO! The retelling of the origin of Superman is a classic story: one that touches any decent individual deep in their hearts as parents make the ultimate sacrifice for their son. The opening sequence runs the gamut of emotions: from action and excitement to sadness and admiration. And keep in mind that lay persons may not be too familiar with the back story so it's the film's job to bring people up to speed in a modern way.

One of the great things about this film is how it interweaves the past and the present. Watching Kal-El grow up, the interaction between a father and a son and the father's desire to protect his son is very emotional, and at times, brought tears to my eyes. Costner and Lane do an amazing job as the Kent's and the seamless interaction between them and Cavill truly made me believe they were a family.

Touching on the other actors/actresses, Adams did a nice job as Lois Lane but not an outstanding performance. Her roll was limited (in my opinion) and while believable, another actress could have done an equal job. The Lois Lane part wasn't terribly important for this film.

The stars were obviously Cavill and Shannon (Zod). If I close my eyes and picture a modern day Superman, Henry Cavill is what I would like to picture. He's clearly ripped up (crazy diet and exercise), has the mannerisms, the attitude (or lack there of) and emotional range that clearly separate him from other Supermans before him. And frankly, the suit is cool as hell.

Zod on the other hand...for lack of a better word, is a badass. He's ruthless, cruel, self-serving and shows no remorse for any of the actions he takes. He is so consumed by his life's purpose that while you have to cheer for Superman, you also feel a sense of remorse for him, that under different circumstances, he could possibly rise up and become a hero. Unfortunately, his tunnel vision cannot allow this and the battles between him and Superman are epic.

A few other notes:

-the film score was amazing. It was dramatic, inspiring, moving...whatever you want to call it. A bad film score can kill a movie; this one did nothing of the sort. This is one soundtrack that I'll be acquiring very soon.

-the cinematography was excellent. The action was fluid and exciting. The dialog was well written and flowed nicely. And the CGI was perfect. From my perspective, everything looked real. And when Superman was flying, I truly believed they were filming the Man of Steel flying around the world. It was that believable.

Regardless of what the critics and other boardies are saying, DC has build themselves a solid foundation upon which to grow and develop their library of super heroes. While this film has set the bar high, I firmly believe that with the right individuals at the helm, the DC ship is going to give Marvel a serious run for their money over the next 5/7 years.

Great review. Thanks for posting it.