• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Fantastic Four #112 CHECK THIS ONE OUT!

37 posts in this topic

8.0-8.5, leaning towards 8.5. The color loss/scuffing that is apparent in the LLC, coupled with the thin, very light "spider-web" creases on the LRC will bring you down from 9.0+ on this book, at least in my opinion.

It is a beauty, for sure.

How can you guys see from 7.5-9.2?

Oak and Hado got it right. In hand this book is near flawless and

IMHO would easily get a 9.2. There is one ever so tiny spine line by

Reeds head. There is no white spots around the edge, that is because

of the black cover. There is no color loss on the right edge or bottom left,

that's just the scanner again picking up a lighter area but it's not white.

Here's a different scan:

ffh112a.jpg

Yes it is a black cover and the scanner or copy machine will enhance the defects, but are they not still there none the less? When i grade on this thread i don't look at other peoples grades so it won't influence my own. When i graded this one i decided on a 7.5. I scrolled down and saw Oakman gave it a 9.0/9.2, ok that's weird. Me and Oakman at times been on the same page and at other times been far apart. He said there were 4 spine tics, It looked more like 8 to me. Scrolled down further 9.0 then 8.5, before i clicked on the topic i noticed rfoiii was the last to grade it. Me and rfoiii are usually on the same page, we're both strict graders. I saw he gave it an 8.0, ok maybe i'm not crazy.

After this thread i immediately went to look on ebay for graded copies around an 8.0-9.0 of FF #112 and some i looked at I was shocked that CGC would give it that grade and others i agreed with entirely. I know everyone grades differently, so i guess sometimes it depends on the grader you get. I apologize if i offended anybody or anything, I enjoy coming on here and giving my opinion and the occassional disagreement is always fun too. (thumbs u

No one mentioned the slight tanning/foxing on the edges of the BC. At least I'm seeing some. I think it's a beauty and this would have been a great choice in a grading contest. My first guess was 8.5.

The spine nicks are very tiny, and the color loss/smear on the LLC probably hardly shows in hand. I wouldn't be surprised at a 9.0 however...

It goes without saying that a high res scan tends to show things that are hard to see in hand....

Yes it is a black cover and the scanner or copy machine will enhance the defects, but are they not still there none the less? When i grade on this thread i don't look at other peoples grades so it won't influence my own. When i graded this one i decided on a 7.5. I scrolled down and saw Oakman gave it a 9.0/9.2, ok that's weird. Me and Oakman at times been on the same page and at other times been far apart. He said there were 4 spine tics, It looked more like 8 to me. Scrolled down further 9.0 then 8.5, before i clicked on the topic i noticed rfoiii was the last to grade it. Me and rfoiii are usually on the same page, we're both strict graders. I saw he gave it an 8.0, ok maybe i'm not crazy.

After this thread i immediately went to look on ebay for graded copies around an 8.0-9.0 of FF #112 and some i looked at I was shocked that CGC would give it that grade and others i agreed with entirely. I know everyone grades differently, so i guess sometimes it depends on the grader you get. I apologize if i offended anybody or anything, I enjoy coming on here and giving my opinion and the occassional disagreement is always fun too. (thumbs u

Not sure if it is the scanner, but from what I can see there is too much going on around the edges of the cover to hit a 9.0. The cover popped for me so I gave it an 8.0, which I feel is a good 50/50. Grades via scans are always hard to do, but it could go as low as a 7.0-7.5, but I don't think it could hit a 9.0. It is clear this book was read (more than once).

Just my 2c.

hmmm... well this whole scanner thing is not doing one bit of justice as to the beauty and actual condition of this comic. There are maybe two just barely noticeable tiny stress lines and that's it. There are really no other defects on this book. There is no foxing or spotting in the back, another false image from scanning. The back is one solid color and looks amazing. I laid the book on my sun porch and took two phone photos. Not sharp but much truer to the actual look of the book. especially the front cover. Take a look:

ihthing112.jpg

ihthingbc.jpg

I didn't mean any offense over suggesting the 8.0-8.5, but after looking at 2 scans and a photo.......

It still looks like an 8.0-8.5. It still looks like the LRC has some very light creasing and the LLC still looks like it has a scuff/color loss.

The spine looks like a 9.0 or even better. It's the lower corners that bring it down for me.

Great book. I'd be ecstatic too.

Thanks for all the wonderful replies. I am taking this book and putting in my

Fantastic Four box right after issue #111 and before #113 and recording

it as NM- 9.2 in my catalog!!! OH YEAH!!

ffh112b.jpg

8.0/8.5! No way!