• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you like all this fast movement jittery filming in movies that they do now?

29 posts in this topic

I seen just about every superhero movie thats been made. And this isn't just about superhero movies. But I find that all this fast flying around action and the jittery movement that they do in movies now just gets me feeling dizzy or gives me a headache. Does anyone else experience this? At times it just seems they can't hold the camera steady even for non action parts. I'm seeing this more and more in films and on television shows. What do you think about this type of filming?
Handheld camera scenes should be used very sparingly, I don't like it. And I think every movie that does the faux documentary style where they pass around a cam corder is a cheap gimmick. I've only liked one of those movies, Quarantine. The rest I've seen I'll not bother seeing again.

But the fast and swooshing fight scenes I do like. They aren't as noticeably choreographed. I hate it when a fight scene looks like a dance. I also don't like it when it's too disorienting and you don't know who is who or which way is up, but I only have that problem in those CGI movies.

I like choreography if it's done right. No jittery camera needed.

The jittery camera and ultra-choppy editing has just about ruined all modern action movies for me. It's a fad that I wish would just go away. Watch "North By Northwest" or 'From Russia with Love" or, for that matter, "Jaws" or "Star Wars" to see how action and suspense can be merged while still using professional camera techniques that don't give you a headache. If you were actually involved in a high speed car chase your eyes wouldn't be bouncing all around in your head. Fast editing (as opposed to "I'm having a seizure editing"), can be seen to excellent advantage in "Bullitt" and "The French Connection".

Every generation brings new filmmaking trends, but I don't believe ever in history has there been so much "sameness" in approach to films (well... big budget ones anyway). There used to be huge differences between an MGM film and a Warner Brothers film, or a Peckinpah film vs. a Howard Hawks film. Now, save for only 2 or 3 directors, most are completely interchangeable.

...I did find the shaky camera effect/editing particularly annoying in the 'Bourne' movies and have never been able to watch one continuously without feeling nauseous.

When were they using this effect in "Man of Steel"?

During the scenes were Superman is talking to the army outside is one scene. Its not a action scene but you can notice the constant movement of the camera like someone can't hold it steady. There's a bunch of scenes like that in the film.

During Superman fighting off the machine and during Jor El fleeing scene its so hard to watch with all the movement going on and hard to focus on anything.

Now I loved the movie but the way they film today turns me off.

I hate it when there are people talking to each other in a movie and the camera is going around them; it just makes one dizzy just watching. I'm getting dizzy just talking bout it. :grin:

The jittery camera and ultra-choppy editing has just about ruined all modern action movies for me. It's a fad that I wish would just go away. Watch "North By Northwest" or 'From Russia with Love" or, for that matter, "Jaws" or "Star Wars" to see how action and suspense can be merged while still using professional camera techniques that don't give you a headache. If you were actually involved in a high speed car chase your eyes wouldn't be bouncing all around in your head. Fast editing (as opposed to "I'm having a seizure editing"), can be seen to excellent advantage in "Bullitt" and "The French Connection".

Every generation brings new filmmaking trends, but I don't believe ever in history has there been so much "sameness" in approach to films (well... big budget ones anyway). There used to be huge differences between an MGM film and a Warner Brothers film, or a Peckinpah film vs. a Howard Hawks film. Now, save for only 2 or 3 directors, most are completely interchangeable.

:applause:

Saving Private Ryan used it very well in the opening beachhead scene.

+1

That's certainly an example where it doesn't look amateurish.

This was the first film I recall seeing it in as well, and it seems that since that film every movie uses this technique in action sequences and not nearly as well. Apparently that scene influenced a generation of filmmakers with less talent for execution of action scenes, so they have overcompensated by shooting them with a technique that doesn't allow you to see anything that is going on. I often wish that they'd use a still camera to shoot some of these sequences, as the shaky cam looks silly and makes it near impossible to see what is happening.

Eh... I like the James Bond movies but I don't think they had a good hand to hand fight scene until Daniel Craig. I watched From Russia With Love very recently, and I even commented on this board about how terrible the shootouts were. The car chase scenes were good early on, but maybe not that early. Same with Star Wars, good movies, but you can tell in the gun battles that most of those actors were not combat veterans. This has nothing to do with any sort of editing or cinematography really. Just that back then an actor didn't train with a team of martial artists and weapons experts for three months before shooting an action movie. I think the fact that they tend to do that now is a good thing.

Eh... I like the James Bond movies but I don't think they had a good hand to hand fight scene until Daniel Craig. I watched From Russia With Love very recently, and I even commented on this board about how terrible the shootouts were. The car chase scenes were good early on, but maybe not that early. Same with Star Wars, good movies, but you can tell in the gun battles that most of those actors were not combat veterans. This has nothing to do with any sort of editing or cinematography really. Just that back then an actor didn't train with a team of martial artists and weapons experts for three months before shooting an action movie. I think the fact that they tend to do that now is a good thing.

Yes, and hold the camera steady so we can actually see all their hard work in action. If you whip the camera around enough anyone can look like a ninja.