• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thoughts on a commission on inking an incomplete Frankenstein Plate

19 posts in this topic

Hey there fellow collectors -

I am considering finishing where Wrightson left off on a lovely Wrightson Frankenstein piece that honestly deserves to be finished.

Here is a scan of the piece:

Bernie%20Wrightson%20-%20Frankenstein%20Plate%20-%20Unfinished.jpg

Who do you recommend for this task? And before someone might say it - yes I understand this could devalue it - but honestly IDC so much as I think it deserves to be finished.

Definitely leave the original alone. Have someone lightbox a completed piece from it but don't touch the original. If Bernie wanted it finished he would have finished it.

It's not about the devaluation, it's about not messing with history.

Hmm... yeah I think you are both right - I think I will have someone do that -- how exactly does one go about getting a lightbox - I've actually never heard the term?

Also - any recommendations for artists?

edit: pinup - I have tried to contact Bernie regarding this piece - I have not gotten a response unfortunately - I would GLADLY pay Bernie to finish this.

The simplest thing to do is find an inker and send them a high resolution (400 dpi or better) TIF in gray scale. They'll convert the image to cyan and print it. They would then ink the printout.

All of the inkers that I know can handle that conversion.

I'm not knowledgeable enough to recommend a particular inker for that piece, but you can get a list of inkers at Terry Maltos' Comic Art Commissions site. Most would jump at the chance.

Also, Scott Williams (stinkininkin) frequents this board. He might like a shot and he does excellent work.

Joe is best handled with milestone payments, e.g., something to start, more at some intermediate point, balance upon receiving the tracking number.

I have enjoyed working with him, but he does need some monitoring.

The lightboxing advice is not just solid but crucial. That includes Bernie finishing it himself. It's been many years and his style has evolved -- I think even he would think history should be preserved.

Kaluta took a whack at finishing a plate, as I recall. I don't know what the results were.

The name that jumps to mind as available, reasonably priced, talented, able to do a lightbox ink job like this justice and reliable is Gary Martin.

He's on CAF, and he's pretty damn amazing. I've seen him ink pieces you would swear were Bolland or Dave Stevens originals.

Agree that blueline or lightbox would be the only way to go.

If you do blueline, you could have fun by having a bunch of inkers take a stab at it. A couple other ones you may consider in addition to the ones mentioned so far are Tim Vigil and Gerhard - Vigil would have a heavier handed feel to it while Gerhard would approach it with his detailed line shading.

I agree, have the inks done over blueline. Joe Rubinstein has experience inking over Wrightson pencils and does a great job of it.

wrightson_rubinstein_inks_caf.jpg

If you want to wait a year or more

I got this in a couple weeks. :shrug: