• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what happens when CGC lists a first app. and its not?

68 posts in this topic

OK, would this be unique?

Domino, first appearance in X-Force 11, first appearance as domino by copycat in New Mutants 98.

are there any other characters listed like first "real" appearance?

I agree with it, sort of, but it sort of goes back to the argument, first ant-man, since he never called himself ant man in that comic, shouldn't it be first hank Pym?

when overstreet was marking all this stuff down many many years ago, they never imagined how complicated it could get.

Angela, first app. spawn 9, first marvel app? I aint read AOU 10 yet.

I agree with it, sort of, but it sort of goes back to the argument, first ant-man, since he never called himself ant man in that comic, shouldn't it be first hank Pym?.

The dude shrinks down to ant size and talks to ants who obey him - he's Ant-man, even without the costume or the name.

Domino, first appearance in X-Force 11, first appearance as domino by copycat in New Mutants 98.

I gotta admit I havent kept up with modern mutie-verse. But I didnt get this...

So Domino in NM 98 wasnt Domino?

(shrug)

no domino wasn't domino, check out a NM98 and read the comments and it says first app. of copycat as domino, or something like that.

Well technically these are the first two appearances of Venom.

I have neither copy slabbed, so does CGC labels note their existence as to what they are in relation to Venom appearances? hm

Web of Spider-Man #18 (Sept. 1986)

Web of Spider-Man #24 (March 1987)

It's been discussed here before, but not in great detail...

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3312482

Since Thanos only appeared for a few seconds at the end of the Avengers, is that his first appearance in the movies, or is that just a cameo/1 panel/half page/brief appearance and his first "real" appearance wont be until he shows up for a movie and has lines?

Im feeling facetious.

just wondering,

Hulk 271 1st Rocket Raccoon, um no its not.

so on the comments section of Hulk 271 it lists rocket raccoon first appearance.

almost everyone on the boards knows that it isn't, so does CGC stop listing that in the comment section? do they continue to list it?

and this aint the old argument about hulk 180/181 first wolverine, this is 2 totally different books, that came out quite some time apart, for a character who was all but forgotten about for a couple of DECADES, and now he/it is gonna be in a movie and folks want people to spend hundreds on a book that wont be worth toilet paper in another decade(SUCKERS)

So I wonder if there are any other examples of something like this?

and I wonder when and if CGC will change the 1st app of characters after they have already listed it?

awesome!! (worship)

just wondering,

Hulk 271 1st Rocket Raccoon, um no its not.

so on the comments section of Hulk 271 it lists rocket raccoon first appearance.

almost everyone on the boards knows that it isn't, so does CGC stop listing that in the comment section? do they continue to list it?

and this aint the old argument about hulk 180/181 first wolverine, this is 2 totally different books, that came out quite some time apart, for a character who was all but forgotten about for a couple of DECADES, and now he/it is gonna be in a movie and folks want people to spend hundreds on a book that wont be worth toilet paper in another decade(SUCKERS)

So I wonder if there are any other examples of something like this?

and I wonder when and if CGC will change the 1st app of characters after they have already listed it?

awesome!! (worship)

:acclaim:

I don't think I ever had reason to post that before so I couldn't pass it up.

Is this discussion stricly about CGC or about which book should be considered the first apperance?

If so, for Ant-Man is easy, as he already was Ant-Man without his costume.

For Psylocke is more difficult, as iI seem to get Captain Britain #8 is the first apperance of Betsy Braddock. Then, in Captain Britain Magazine (second series) #13 she briefly dons the Captain Britain costume (and identity) to eventually become Psylocke later on. And then there’s the Mandarin kidnapping and the Acts of Vengeance … :D

Since the beginning, Betsy has always been present in Brian’s stories, however, being her sister.

Is this discussion stricly about CGC or about which book should be considered the first apperance?

If so, for Ant-Man is easy, as he already was Ant-Man without his costume.

For Psylocke is more difficult, as iI seem to get Captain Britain #8 is the first apperance of Betsy Braddock. Then, in Captain Britain Magazine (second series) #13 she briefly dons the Captain Britain costume (and identity) to eventually become Psylocke later on. And then there’s the Mandarin kidnapping and the Acts of Vengeance … :D

Since the beginning, Betsy has always been present in Brian’s stories, however, being her sister.

Similar also applies to the Red Hulk/General Ross, unfortunately CGC never mention his first appearance as Rulk on any issue :frustrated:

what happens when CGC lists a first app. and its not?

mess gets REAL!!!

Daredevil-131-CGC-96-NM-WHITE-Pages-Universal.jpg

Everyone knows the first appearance of the word "Hornead" appeared in this book. It was just spelled "Horny" at the time before Bullseye came along.

1hdsm8.jpg

Heres another question, Off topic but on topic.

Marvel Spotlight #32 First Spider-Woman appearance, no doubt about it.

Now what would be considered her second?

The label for Marvel Two-in-one #29 lists a Cameo on the last page.

The label for Marvel Two-in-one #30 simply says "Spider-woman"

Now I know Hulk #180 is dismissed as a cameo of a character no one knew, but Spider-woman had already had an Origin story, is the Cameo the second appearance or just that, a cameo?

I always had a problem with the first silver age appearance of Captain America. There was one prior to Avengers #4, in Strange Tales. But it turned out to be The Acrobat dressed as Captain America.

Could go either way, I think. I guess a decision had to be made, and was. Probably the right decision. But the cover appearance makes it tough to dismiss. There is Captain America in full uniform, doing his thing.

Especially since many heroes are different people here and there. Like Iron Man. I have both Strange Tales 114 and Avengers 4.

Just look at this cover. Sure builds up the "return" of Captain America.

strangetales114front001_zps369d742b.jpg

Now I know Hulk #180 is dismissed as a cameo of a character no one knew, but Spider-woman had already had an Origin story, is the Cameo the second appearance or just that, a cameo?

Not being familiar with the books in question, I would say based on your info MTIO #30 would be considered "2nd full appearance".

It is all semantics but I think that's the best description.

It is a similar situation as Wolverine's 2nd brief/full apps:

Hulk #180 - 1st appearance (last page cameo)

Hulk #181 - 1st full appearance

Hulk #182 - 2nd appearance (brief)

Giant Size X-men #1 - 2nd full appearance

Not being familiar with the books in question, I would say based on your info MTIO #30 would be considered "2nd full appearance".

It is all semantics but I think that's the best description.

It is a similar situation as Wolverine's 2nd brief/full apps:

Hulk #180 - 1st appearance (last page cameo)

Hulk #181 - 1st full appearance

Hulk #182 - 2nd appearance (brief)

Giant Size X-men #2 1 - 2nd full appearance

:foryou:

I always had a problem with the first silver age appearance of Captain America. There was one prior to Avengers #4, in Strange Tales. But it turned out to be The Acrobat dressed as Captain America.

Could go either way, I think. I guess a decision had to be made, and was. Probably the right decision. But the cover appearance makes it tough to dismiss. There is Captain America in full uniform, doing his thing.

Especially since many heroes are different people here and there. Like Iron Man. I have both Strange Tales 114 and Avengers 4.

Just look at this cover. Sure builds up the "return" of Captain America.

strangetales114front001_zps369d742b.jpg

+1

I have that book, and it pisses me off for that very reason.

Hulk 180 and 182 will always be the lame step-children of the Wolverine first appearances. No way, no shape, no how will 180 every usurp the classically awesome and kickassingly iconic Hulk 181.