• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what happens when CGC lists a first app. and its not?

68 posts in this topic

Uncanny X-Men Annual #14 rules all their faces.

-slym

That was some good discussion in Modern on this topic.

It is an oddball as it was published ahead of the real 1st appearance because of a production problem. But the industry recognizes the book that was published afterwards.

I always had a problem with the first silver age appearance of Captain America. There was one prior to Avengers #4, in Strange Tales. But it turned out to be The Acrobat dressed as Captain America.

Could go either way, I think. I guess a decision had to be made, and was. Probably the right decision. But the cover appearance makes it tough to dismiss. There is Captain America in full uniform, doing his thing.

Especially since many heroes are different people here and there. Like Iron Man. I have both Strange Tales 114 and Avengers 4.

Just look at this cover. Sure builds up the "return" of Captain America.

strangetales114front001_zps369d742b.jpg

If I collected SA Captain America this would be must have, if I only collected major SA keys, I'd want Avengers #4 but probably not this. Is this the first cover reference to "The Golden Age of Comics"?

The "1st cameo" vs "1st full" appearance question causes much hair-pulling and gnashing of teeth. I started sleeping better when I realized we as collectors are not looking so much for a character's true first appearance but rather a single book to celebrate that character. We hope that 1, everyone else agrees on the same book, and 2, that choice won't change (example Sgt. Rock).

Can you imagine what would happen if a writer ret-cons some obscure golden age Timely character as The Wolverine?

Uncanny X-Men Annual #14 rules all their faces.

-slym

That was some good discussion in Modern on this topic.

It is an oddball as it was published ahead of the real 1st appearance because of a production problem. But the industry recognizes the book that was published afterwards.

There was discussion on this book way back in the 90's. There will never be any resolution to it (just like the Hulk 180 argument).