• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Working on full run Uncanny X-Men

19 posts in this topic

I've seen a few full run threads around here lately but none (that I saw at least) mentioning Uncanny X-Men. I was wondering how many of you have done this, or are working on it, how many issues you have to go, and that sort of thing. I was once working on this years ago but ended up selling my stuff. I started again almost from scratch after I saw X2, and I still have a way to go, but I had a few questions I was hoping someone around here can help me with. First off, besides issue 429 (Wizard World cover) does anyone know of any variants in the 400s? I'm done with the 400's except for variants. Wizard lists #400 as 'a' but doesn't list a 'b'. Also, while I was away from comics (1994-2002) it seems there was a huge loss in readership and sales. I hear all the time on this board how bad it is now, but I was wondering if sales were actually worse during any of those years. I heard they improved a little recently but I'm not sure. Bottom line is I was wondering what period of X-Men in the past 10 years had the lowest print runs. I've noticed books in the mid to late 300's are usually scarce at comic stores, and with all the variant covers at that time, I have a feeling it will be the toughest part of the run to complete (although not all that expensive). Was also wondering if anyone knows why 173 has a color variant- just a printing mistake?

I need X-Men 1,2,3,6 and 9 to finish my run. Although I do not collect the re-prints in the 60's, 70's and 80's if you wanted to include ALL of the issues including the ones that lead into "Uncanny".

I don't actively collect variants, so I can't help you there.

I agree with a readership decline between 1994 and 2002 with a small increase over the last few years as far as readership goes.

Rarity?

Doug gave me a list of moderns that are tough to find (meaning mostly in the last 5 years) and no X-Men comics were on that list. X-Men is a highly collected title by many collectors (unlike titles like Thor or Iron Man or some of the recent surprises like Authority or Planetary) so IMO and based on what Doug told me quite common.

You shouldn't have any trouble finding large runs of the Uncanny X-Men on Ebay in the “full runs” section of Comics. I've been buying mid-grade copies to have bound into hard cover volumes and found lots of runs from the mid 100s to up to the current issues. High grade copies tend not to be sold in large runs, but there are plenty of them out there. Readership may have fallen, but this title has consistently been one of the best sellers for the past 20 years. Good luck on your quest!

Doug gave me a list of moderns that are tough to find (meaning mostly in the last 5 years) and no X-Men comics were on that list. X-Men is a highly collected title by many collectors (unlike titles like Thor or Iron Man or some of the recent surprises like Authority or Planetary) so IMO and based on what Doug told me quite common.

Care to share that list with the rest of the class?

First off, besides issue 429 (Wizard World cover) does anyone know of any variants in the 400s? I'm done with the 400's except for variants.

Then you're done with the 400s. Don't let any of these hype-masters fill your head with their bull that your collection isn't complete without some lame variants. makepoint.gif

I completed a run 1-400+ a while back hitting the cons and ebay to get it done... cloud9.gifthen I had to dismantled it to get my strange tales 97 af15 sm1-500 run.... that I really wanted.. acclaim.gif

How many of you have the Spider-Man run... ( of course if I had a copy of every book SM has been in I might have more then Ian 27_laughing.gif) stooges.gifyay.gif

BEST OF LUCK ..

WEBHEAD

Funny...I've been working on my run for years now and all I'm missing are a few various issues in the 20s-40s, and a few between 95 and 120. I have all the keys and major issues (earlier issues being solid midgrade copies...I read 'em all!).

I have become really blasé about what condition the books I'll be picking up have to be in to finish off the run...low grade and cheap is good enough for me (anyone have a really cheap bunch of X-Men for sale? grin.gif).

that one guy, steve_hocp had one. issues 1 through 350 got them all slabbed or is getting them slabbed. I can't remember. he was cool, dunno what ever happened to him.

*edit*

found it. he has collection complete, getting them all graded.

some graded ones

http://www.hypothermia.us/x-men_collection.htm

raw

http://www.hypothermia.us/cgc1.htm

http://www.hypothermia.us/cgc2.htm

I completed a run 1-400+ a while back hitting the cons and ebay to get it done... cloud9.gifthen I had to dismantled it to get my strange tales 97 af15 sm1-500 run.... that I really wanted.. acclaim.gif

How many of you have the Spider-Man run... ( of course if I had a copy of every book SM has been in I might have more then Ian 27_laughing.gif) stooges.gifyay.gif

BEST OF LUCK ..

WEBHEAD

Yo Webhead looking good! (sorry I've been playing that game far too long)

But hey, I am working on a full run of ASM. I got about 50 books left too.

I'm taking my time though. Because my run that I have is VF and up.

I'm sure that will end soon because I going to buy the first thirty CGC'ed to be safe

and there is no way I can afford an AF # 15 in 8.0 at this time of my life.

But I'm having fun, and that is all that really matters.

yay.gif

So we've got one whole collection from someone who used to post here, and then 4 or 5 board members who are a few issues away from finishing, so far. Interesting. With the popularity of the title I thought there would be more. I'm doing the run for fun too. I just like to collect things to begin with, and I missed collecting the X-Men. I'm trying for NM copies of most issues but I'm not driving myself too crazy.