• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fullback abrasion?

71 posts in this topic

Capture_zpsadfdfb2d.jpg

One more and you're tied. :)

Do it...It will only hurt for a few seconds. :popcorn:

Establishing once and for all that you're the forum leader in terms of having no life doesn't hurt for a few seconds...it lasts a LIFETIME. :eek:

tumblr_lka9rhi8aT1qadbq2o1_400.gif

Hasn't anyone suggested the simple solution of taking the board and the book out at the same time? No need to drag it across the fullback to scuff it up. Otherwise, as pointed out above, why would the book be slipping around in the mylar-fb combo?

Hasn't anyone suggested the simple solution of taking the board and the book out at the same time? No need to drag it across the fullback to scuff it up. Otherwise, as pointed out above, why would the book be slipping around in the mylar-fb combo?

Any movement of comic, even if in box being taken on and off a shelf, can cause the movement/scuffing. To totally avoid the issue the books would have to remain unmoved.

Something on-topic for CG for a change...

In my old age and OCD'ness, I'm starting to question the ability of a Fullback/Halfback to protect the comic book.

I've pulled comics out in the past and noticed that the backs had a mild degree of scuffing. Not allowing myself to put two and two together until now.

The surface of a Fullback is abrasive. I know it's archival, but it's technically like a piece of sandpaper with a very fine grit.

The standard backing boards that everyone uses has at least one glossy side, which couldn't scratch the surface of a comic.

After weighing the options, I find myself wanting to buy a bunch of the cheap boards to put between my comics and the Fullback, just to protect the comic from being scuffed.

What say the nerdy masses?

You sticking your bagged/boarded books in a rock shaker or something?

What about a piece of microchamber paper between the board & comic?

-slym

Probably the most reasonable possibility if you can get the paper cut to the size of the board.

Where are folks buying this paper nowadays?

You're as OCD as I am wrt comics, so I don't think you'll like this solution. I've tried it. I had to custom cut each MC paper to fit because it should be the same size as the backing board. It can be difficult to get the book, the MC paper and the board into the bag/sleeve without the MC paper shifting around or lifting up an edge. And then I didn't like the look of it when it was done because things shift around and don't line up nice and square - you need a small margin between the edge of the board and the inside edge of the bag/sleeve, and this allows the MC paper to shift over. Try it, you'll see what I mean.

22d1c.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Maker

lol

I can't help it.

triw8y.jpg

38947724.jpg

22eis.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Maker

-slym

Probably the most reasonable possibility if you can get the paper cut to the size of the board.

You're as OCD as I am wrt comics, so I don't think you'll like this solution. I've tried it. I had to custom cut each MC paper to fit because it should be the same size as the backing board. It can be difficult to get the book, the MC paper and the board into the bag/sleeve without the MC paper shifting around or lifting up an edge. And then I didn't like the look of it when it was done because things shift around and don't line up nice and square - you need a small margin between the edge of the board and the inside edge of the bag/sleeve, and this allows the MC paper to shift over. Try it, you'll see what I mean.

lol

I can't help it.

triw8y.jpg

38947724.jpg

22emo.jpg

-slym

I used to custom-cut MC paper and place it between the fullback and comic, as well as custom-cut MC paper to insert inside the front and back covers. Too much work! I just bareback the book to the fullback, place in Mylite, and insert it into an Archives sleeve. Overall, it's a great method for preserving the book. I don't think it moves around too much to cause much scuffing or concern unless you are using the incorrect correct sizes of fullbacks/Mylars for your books.

Comic Book: $3

Ultimate storage method utilizing bags, boards, mylars, microchamber paper etc: $6

Watching a group talk themselves into major overkill: Priceless

I'm just banking on an increase of Mylar and fullback values... in the long term.

Something on-topic for CG for a change...

In my old age and OCD'ness, I'm starting to question the ability of a Fullback/Halfback to protect the comic book.

I've pulled comics out in the past and noticed that the backs had a mild degree of scuffing. Not allowing myself to put two and two together until now.

The surface of a Fullback is abrasive. I know it's archival, but it's technically like a piece of sandpaper with a very fine grit.

The standard backing boards that everyone uses has at least one glossy side, which couldn't scratch the surface of a comic.

After weighing the options, I find myself wanting to buy a bunch of the cheap boards to put between my comics and the Fullback, just to protect the comic from being scuffed.

What say the nerdy masses?

You sticking your bagged/boarded books in a rock shaker or something?

No, but I have one in a tub of rice at the moment. lol

-slym

lol

I can't help it.

triw8y.jpg

38947724.jpg

Repair

My

Astigmatism

:banana:

-slym

Board member grinin

Thanks Michael!

I have all comic sizes pre-cut, but no pre-cut board sized MCP.

I think the better suggestion is the

1. Insert Microchamber paper into the comic. The microchamber paper provides your alkaline reserve.

2. the book is then inserted upside down into a 2 mil Mylites2, with flap folded (NO Tape needed)

3. Place M2/book package on your fullback and insert into final bag of your choice

Don't put books in Mylars without an alkaline reserve

I agree - that is how I put books in and take books out - with the board.

Yes they are abrasive, which is why you want a semi-snug fit, so there is limited shifting.

And you definitely want a snug fit for shipping - lot's of damage can occur in shipping if the book is loose in the bag, including the book sailing through one side of the mylar and coming into contact with tape.

So, you folks that put silver age books in big golden age mylite2s...., be aware.

And you definitely want a snug fit for shipping - lot's of damage can occur in shipping if the book is loose in the bag, including the book sailing through one side of the mylar and coming into contact with tape.

So, you folks that put silver age books in big golden age mylite2s...., be aware.

This definitely happens. I was once sent a comic in a brand new snug and in the process of shipping, the bottom seam of the mylar opened up and the comic came into contact with the tape.

This definitely happens. I was once sent a comic in a brand new snug and in the process of shipping, the bottom seam of the mylar opened up and the comic came into contact with the tape.

Snugs are the worst - I wouldn't ever ship in them. Anyone who does is asking for trouble. The exception is for those who place already bagged and boarded books inside a snug for shipping - that seems to add an extra buffer of protection.

-slym

lol

I can't help it.

triw8y.jpg

38947724.jpg

Repair

My

Astigmatism

:banana:

:acclaim:

I use full backs with Mylite 2s and I see no scuffing or rubbing on the comics from the mild roughness on the fullback.

I don't think it's an issue.

Now let's get back on track. It's Friday!

gamer-t-shirts-katy-perry-elmo.gif

Anyone have any pictures that show this sort of damage?

I think you guys are being way too paranoid here. A backing board tearing up a comic? lol

-slym

No one makes a good product to protect a comic from the comic protection materials? Did you try these guys? Link