• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Creepy #9

16 posts in this topic

What the hell is the deal with affordable second thoughts?? Surely this book can't be intended for resale...can it?!? I've noticed AST scooping up a lot of mags at "affordable" prices...is there a japanese exec waiting in the wings, or have they got a massive trust fund, or what?

What the hell is the deal with affordable second thoughts?? Surely this book can't be intended for resale...can it?!? I've noticed AST scooping up a lot of mags at "affordable" prices...is there a japanese exec waiting in the wings, or have they got a massive trust fund, or what?

I believe that Chris (ast11) is doing major speculation right now on the magazine market. And it MAY pay off big in the long run. It is too early to tell where the magazine market will go, BUT one thing for sure is that it has the potential for EXTREME growth. 70% of most comic collectors that I have spoken to over the years can't even recall a Creepy, Eerie, Vampirella cover (meaning they are not familiar with them) let alone anything frome Skywald, Eerie Publications and Stanley. As more of the masses find out about how awesome these magazines are and when COMPARED to comics how much more scarce they are in High Grades, it is a breeding ground for a large explosion in this sector. Not to mention a ton of early art from some of the legends of the 70's. Though 12x guide is getting steep, Creepy #9 can be considered a very Important KEY issue in this era of Magazines and a must for all Magazine fanatics REGARDLESS of grade.

....Well shoot, I honestly believe that I have a NM+ 9.6 Copy of Creepy #9, I have looked it over inside and out and cannot find any defects. Corners are sharp, Spine is absolutely stress free even from non-color breaking stress, Staples are very tight and shiny, and color and gloss is newstand fresh not to mention OWL 9-10.

Based off of 9.4 sell, where do you think a 9.6 would net? Just curious, I'm not big on slabbing magazines but would like to hear thoughts on maybe where it could go, especially since 9.4 is currently the highest graded.

-bounty

Bounty,

Hmm, interesting post. Thanks for the reply.

I think it's hard to gauge what your mag would get if it came back slabbed at 9.6. You may score huge, or you may end up with about 200 bucks if AST doesn't want it. Seems like the speculator market for these mags is still somewhat select, and if the few people with dollars-a-flying don't come knocking, you may be S.O.L.

I will have to see if I cross over to the "Dark Side" devil.gif or not. Slabbing on that book would really do it some monetary justice. I'll tell you now, if it came back as a 9.6 NM+ or higher (I dont see why it wouldnt be a 9.8 honestly, but 9.6 seems very fair just to be conservative), highest graded copy in existance then it would go for crazy duckets. yay.gif

There are 2x 9.4's and that is tops currently.

confused-smiley-013.gif

OK, somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Koch brothers buy an entire "warehouse" of Warren & Captain Company material when they went belly up? I've heard the quality of the mags ranged the gamut from returns to unopened distributor packs.

Wouldn't this mean that it is quite possible that Warrens might pan out to be easier to get in HG when the smoke eventually starts to clear on mag slabbing? gossip.gif

Anyone? poke2.gif

OK, somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Koch brothers buy an entire "warehouse" of Warren & Captain Company material when they went belly up? I've heard the quality of the mags ranged the gamut from returns to unopened distributor packs.

Wouldn't this mean that it is quite possible that Warrens might pan out to be easier to get in HG when the smoke eventually starts to clear on mag slabbing? gossip.gif

Anyone? poke2.gif

HUGE POSSIBILITY! And most likely. No-one knows what the koch's have as stated, even stated that the koch's don't even know what they have. Who knows where the depth of their inventory is? Is it mid # issues? Late # issues? Are there Early # issues in there? To what extent? No one knows.

That is why I feel, Skywald, Stanley and Eerie Publications are going to have rediculous returns in the next 10 years because of their distribution and initial print runs, there was no chance to have a surplus Warren Situation.

-bounty

I think the Koch /Warren warehouse has kept prices and interest down for Warren mags. Plus because they are mags not comics demand has been slight. I can see the CGC effect working already for these mags, but Id be surprised if any gra=eat new demand surfaces in the face of the potentially unlimited supply. Also, I had a chance to look through all th eearly Creepys and Eeries recently. Sure they have some cool Frazetta covers, and some cools stories, but darm if I was impressed overall with them. Seemed to me that all the good stuff petered out after the first dozen issues or so.

I agree that the Skywald stuff is far rarer... but they were also cruder and far crappier too, werent they??

I agree that the Skywald stuff is far rarer... but they were also cruder and far crappier too, werent they??

I'd never flame a guy for voicing his honest opinion. If that's how you feel, then that's how you feel. No problem. One less Skywald fan makes it easier for me to finish my runs! insane.gif

IMO, I don't think the Skywalds are in any way inferior to Warrens . Just a different approach. As far as production value, I think they are certainly on par with each other. They must have done something right, because if you look at the threads here, there is almost nothing devoted to Warren, while Skywald has multiple posts dedicated to it... thumbsup2.gif

Keith I think that Aman's comment is more of a question of Naiveness as oppossed to a direct comment.

Aman, IMHO Skywald covers absolutely rocked. The cover art that was present in them I feel was much richer, had more of an environment and gave more of a mood. And that is exactly what Skywald tried to portray. MOOD.

Warren had awesome art, and often good stories. Alan Hewetson though came onto Skywald as editor and writer somewhere before the middle of the runs. And fully took over the Scream series for writing I believe. His stories are simply awesome, and have inspired many many horror/fiction writers. Stephen King being one of them. And that is why the value of Skywald books is so far under the radar. Because NOBODY (meaning the general comic public) really knows about them.

-bounty

Skywalds are the best Warren ripoff (and they were a warren ripoff)...but that doesnt make them a bad book, after all one could do far worse than imitating Warren. Now the Stanleys etc hold no interest for me...Just too over the top and the artwork seems crude (IMO). The comment regarding Warrens trailing off after the first few issues is more or less correct. The warren companion details the ups and downs of the various publications quite well. Note though that all the titles did have a resurgence .... peaks and valleys.

And skywald covers absolutely kick [!@#%^&^]!!!!!!!!!!

Skywalds are the best Warren ripoff (and they were a warren ripoff)

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

HHmmmm. Ripoff seems like a harsh term. Here's a theory: Maybe Warren was a ripoff of EC's Terror Illustrated.

Jim Warren made sure to gather up as much former EC talent as he could afford in the early days, and he even (rumor has it) took copies of the b&w EC's to his printer to give them an idea of what he wanted Creepy to look like.

So really, who ripped off who? confused-smiley-013.gif

Of course warren was an EC ripoff. If you read interviews with practically any of Warren's early stable of artists , to a tee they will say that they wanted to work at warren because warren was doing what EC used to do (before code). Maybe I shouldve used the word tribute instead ..... ripoff does seem to imply an inferior product which in the case of Skywald and Warren, they were not. Now the deluge of Marvel monster mags that flooded the market in the 70;s is definitely an example of Stan-Lee ripping off Warren. James Warren has , in interviews , expressed his feelings quite plainly regarding the quality of Marvel's BW line and its effect on his company. Hard to sell when you cant find space on the magazine rack donchaknow.