• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

From LITG: Crossgen/ Valiant comeback?

10 posts in this topic

http://www.comicbookresources.com/columns/?column=13

"So what's with John Taddeo bidding on CrossGen?

I hear as well as CrossGen, he's interested in the Valiant comic catalogues."

"It's not the only one looking. Apparently, Top Cow is interested in acquiring parts or all of the Valiant Comics properties, as a slightly-easier way to get a few high profile books to take the prime position after "Wanted" finishes. "

Acclaim filed Chapter 7, which means everything will be sold.

Valiant characters (besides Magnus, Solar, and Turok) will be sold to the highest bidder.

Magnus, Solar, and Turok were characters licensed to Valiant and they belong to

Western - Gold Key - Golden Books - Random House - Classic Media, LLC.

(Dark Horse and iBooks have been licensing Solar & Magnus lately.)

It should be a fun shakedown... Acclaim is dead... long live... whoever!

Acclaim filed Chapter 7, which means everything will be sold.

Valiant characters (besides Magnus, Solar, and Turok) will be sold to the highest bidder.

Magnus, Solar, and Turok were characters licensed to Valiant and they belong to

Western - Gold Key - Golden Books - Random House - Classic Media, LLC.

(Dark Horse and iBooks have been licensing Solar & Magnus lately.)

It should be a fun shakedown... Acclaim is dead... long live... whoever!

How long has this info been circulating?..and do you think it has anything to do with recent high Valiant CGC sales? Or are you expecting an even bigger sales boom on old Valiant stuff? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

How long has this info been circulating?..and do you think it has anything to do with recent high Valiant CGC sales? Or are you expecting an even bigger sales boom on old Valiant stuff? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Acclaim filed Chapter 7 on September 2nd...

though they have been on NASDAQ's "kill list" for about a year.

There's a possibility that back issue sale prices have increased

under the assumption that the characters may be back in print soon...

though it wasn't as much of a possibility until Sept. 2nd.

I think everyone assumed Acclaim would file Chapter 11, re-org, and keep their properties.

Future sales on Valiant books will probably be a combination of:

1) Valiant "purists" who focus on the earliest Valiant books (1991-92)

2) Valiant "completionists" who actively pursue everything of value

3) Character revivals, if any, and the quest for prior material.

In the late 1990s, it was mostly "group 1" on Ebay.

Lately, it has definitely been "group 2" outbidding most in "group 1".

After Acclaim's bankruptcy, it will be interesting to see if characters are 'resurrected',

and if so... will anyone "clamor" for the older books?

I don't know if Valiant properties will be sold "as a group",

or if they could potential sell characters separately...

For example, X-O Manowar going to one buyer, while Harbinger goes to another.

I guess it's up to the trustee in the bankruptcy case...

my guess is that he's probably not a comic book guy. grin.gif

Which leaves, maybe, XO Manowar as a viable property in my opinion. And maybe Harbinger if a new publisher can separate the title from the glut of team titles on the market now. I don't see Ninjak, Rai, the Visitor, Dr Mirage, Bloodshot, and any of the other characters I'm forgetting as being strong enough characters to generate any traction...

The three characters you mentioned, especially the first two, were the nucleus that drove Valiant...

Jim

I think it would be GREAT if some of the Valiant characters can come out again from another comics publisher...if produced like the valiant comics from the very early 90's with great stories and art. X-O is my favorite.

Maybe all this buzz surrounding the early valiant issues on this forum, ebay and elsewhere have got people sitting up and taking notice.

Which leaves, maybe, XO Manowar as a viable property in my opinion. And maybe Harbinger if a new publisher can separate the title from the glut of team titles on the market now. I don't see Ninjak, Rai, the Visitor, Dr Mirage, Bloodshot, and any of the other characters I'm forgetting as being strong enough characters to generate any traction...

The three characters you mentioned, especially the first two, were the nucleus that drove Valiant...

Jim

I was actually a big fan of Shadowman myself...

Jim

I was actually a big fan of Shadowman myself...

I really liked the first few issues of Shadowman. Shadowman was up there with X-O and Magnus for my favorite Valiant character.

The problem with the Shadowman series was that as soon as Jim Shooter left, Shadowman got dumber than just about all of the other pre-existing series in an even bigger hurry.

The problem with the Shadowman series was that as soon as Jim Shooter left, Shadowman got dumber than just about all of the other pre-existing series in an even bigger hurry.

Really? I thought Shadowman was one of the better series they published right up to it's cancellation (#43?). The original Master Darque was a great villain, and I enjoyed the voodoo mythology. Bob Hall was having a great time with Jack and his world.

I hope that there is a successful bid for these characters, but whoever gets them has to remember to steer clear of the Acclaim/V2 versions of these characters.

Aric of Dacia is X-O Manowar. Jack Boniface is Shadowman.

Eternal Warrior and Archer and Armstrong had their moments. There have been too many Harbinger-like series (Runaways anyone?) and the HardCORPS and Armorines never really worked for me. Second Life of Dr. Mirage was quirky. Timewalker could work. Ninkak? Nope. Bloodshot? Maybe.

Only thing I'm not sure about is how these concepts will work without Solar, Magnus and Turok.