• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has there ever been a rise and fall so quickly? (Sixth Gun)

96 posts in this topic

I wonder if the walking dead will be on this path soon? hm

Walking Dead has history, and it's a part of the culture. I don't see Walking Dead ever "bottoming out" as many seem to hope it will.

Isn't it strange that there are people who actually are cheerleaders for the fall of TWD?

I don't think its sour grapes that some missed out as much as people just wanting the prices to come down to fill holes they may need. I don't care if it ever slows but if it does, i'll be able to get a few I still need in the top 10.

its the same with valiant, I couldn't afford them when they exploded but can now but I never cheered for the companys collapse.

Even if TWD does fall it wont be as fast as TSG fell. I have just never seen something rise so quickly and then fall so fast. It all happened in a matter of months, where as other things seem to have happened over years.

Even if TWD does fall it wont be as fast as TSG fell. I have just never seen something rise so quickly and then fall so fast. It all happened in a matter of months, where as other things seem to have happened over years.

The whole thing was about the show. The show died, and the comic immediately followed. :shrug:

The whole thing was about the show. The show died, and the comic immediately followed. :shrug:

I know why it fell :P

Chew had a show in place that fell through and the same thing didn't happen.

Revival was in talks to be a show and that didnt take off like sixth gun.

Sour grapes. They missed the boat and now are rooting against TWD.

^^ This is pretty much true for the Speculators/Flippers.

I don't think its sour grapes that some missed out as much as people just wanting the prices to come down to fill holes they may need. I don't care if it ever slows but if it does, i'll be able to get a few I still need in the top 10.

its the same with valiant, I couldn't afford them when they exploded but can now but I never cheered for the companys collapse.

^^ This is pretty much true for the Fans

I have never seen anything like that either. That feeding frenzy was insane.

I know why it fell :P

Chew had a show in place that fell through and the same thing didn't happen.

Revival was in talks to be a show and that didnt take off like sixth gun.

The point is, THE WHOLE THING was about the show. WIthout that, it's just another comic that some people like. So, it's dropping to just-another-comic prices, boosted a bit by the fact that just recently people overpaid so badly.

I was looking through the for sale section and saw a full run of Sixth Gun going for about $125. Those were selling for almost ten times that a few months ago.

The rise of The Sixth Gun was meteoric, and it went through complete free fall after the series was canned by NBC.

Has any other series experienced this kind of roller coaster? I was going to ask in Modern, but I am curious about all ages.

It should tell you how volatile the modern speculative market is. It is sad to say, but 'pretzel logic' is sometimes the norm. When something is 'cold' no one wants it. This is why you often have buyers and speculators who only want or treasure something after it becomes coveted by other collectors and speculators; which occurs generally only after a rise in price. When something is 'hot' everyone wants it. Just look at WD #1.

I wonder if the walking dead will be on this path soon? hm

Walking Dead has history, and it's a part of the culture. I don't see Walking Dead ever "bottoming out" as many seem to hope it will.

Isn't it strange that there are people who actually are cheerleaders for the fall of TWD?

It`s shocking. I don`t think people realize how dead(pun intended) modern comic speculation was before TWD took off. People can hate TWD or love TWD,but don`t disrespect TWD.

TWD is the daddy of modern comics.

(thumbs u

Lots of books in the original black and White craze crashed and burned. Miami Mice #1 was a $25-40 book for awhile. Many others jumped from cover price to $10 in a matter of days. This was all pre-CGC so who knows what heights a 9.8 Miami Mice book would have hit.

Lots of books in the original black and White craze crashed and burned. Miami Mice #1 was a $25-40 book for awhile. Many others jumped from cover price to $10 in a matter of days. This was all pre-CGC so who knows what heights a 9.8 Miami Mice book would have hit.

Good point,as Miami Mice reminds me of these.

250px-Boris_the_bear01.jpg

195555-19158-114622-1-fish-police.jpg

That is actually a very strong historical analogy. In the wake of The TMNT, a bunch of B&W 1st issues spiked big time - Trollords, Fish Police, Miami Mice etc. Why? Because people were convinced that the "next" Turtles was right around the corner.

There never was another Turtles. Flash forward 25 years and the analogy is very strong to what happened with Locke and Key, Chew, and Sixth Gun, this time tied to the added component of being tied to an additional entertainment medium and focused on TWD.

The main difference is the meteoric impact of the CGC 9.8 grade and the way prices escalate in lower grades and raw coming off of that.

I'm amazed it hasn't hurt the Speculators. I thought for sure the East of West RRP would be slow to catch on as a result. That book took off out the gate though.

Personally, I think people are going to eat it on that too. Books seems good, but I don't see it having the success of a WD or even Saga.

Almost all the new image titles have been hit hard lately. Saga, NWM, revival, and the like.

ToT and Manhattan projects haven't been hit too hard it seems.

ToT has taken about a 20% decline. It's got it's fans, but it judging by the print run, it hasn't grown a ton. I just got into comics, but things like TSG make me realize how risky it is the be in the flipping game.

Could you imagine sending in a NM/M set into CGC to get graded, and while they're waiting to be graded news comes out about the show? Ah!

That is actually a very strong historical analogy. In the wake of The TMNT, a bunch of B&W 1st issues spiked big time - Trollords, Fish Police, Miami Mice etc. Why? Because people were convinced that the "next" Turtles was right around the corner.

There never was another Turtles. Flash forward 25 years and the analogy is very strong to what happened with Locke and Key, Chew, and Sixth Gun, this time tied to the added component of being tied to an additional entertainment medium and focused on TWD.

The main difference is the meteoric impact of the CGC 9.8 grade and the way prices escalate in lower grades and raw coming off of that.

Yep. That CGC 9.8 case does a beautiful job of commodifying a comic and allowing prices to rise and fall precipitately.

If the popularity extends to the broader popular culture and/or the character(s) or title are are regularly printed for at least a decade then interest in first issues seems to sustain after the peak of popularity and even if prices soften, they don't drop precipitously. So not just TMNT, but books like Cerebus #1, Bone #1 and Albedo #2 seem to retain their value, where the shorter lived stuff doesn't.

My guess is that while WD #1 might fall from it's peak once the show has ended, it will never be cheap, whereas I wouldn't trust that Y: The Last Man retains anything near it's current value unless there is a successful sequel spawning movie.

Even a title as popular as Gaiman's Sandman once was, has difficulty sustaining value. A CGC 9.8 #1 is what, a $200 - $300 book? Not bad, but what were raw NM copies selling for at the peak of it's value? I recall getting $50 in trade value for the first two issues about a year after they came out ( 1989).

Biggest rise and fall I've seen in the post-eBay era was Captain America 25. Went from cover price ($3.99?) to $60 within a few days, and then dropped to $15 within two weeks.

Only time I've ever seen a book where people who set 7-day auctions on the day of release got hosed relative to people who set 24-hour or 3-day auctions.