• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has there ever been a rise and fall so quickly? (Sixth Gun)

96 posts in this topic

The real question will be if the show gets picked up by another network will the books climb back up. I bought in at some strong prices but I sure as hell am not going to sell for pennies on the dollar. I'll light a cigar with them before I do that :idea:

Flame on

How many television shows can you name that frequently get picked up by other networks after their cancellation? Very few. If they were so popular why were they cancelled? No network would let go of a show that is performing well...although I do question PBS's decision to cancel 'Market Warriors.'

Even the cast of Seinfeld (a show I never watched), were able to negotiate an amazing feat of being the first show to have the main cast get paid one million collards per episode. This was no ordinary feat back in the 90's.

Rocky and Bullwinkle

The Wonderful World of Disney

Scooby-Doo

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

JAG

Baywatch

Friday Night Lights

Supernatural

Futurama

Cougar Town - from ABC to TBS this year.

COPS - from Fox to Spike TV starting in the fall of this year.

Now compare that amount to the number of shows that are cancelled and done for good. See what I mean?

I also question some of those shows, but have no reason to doubt you. Since when is Sarah Michelle Gellar returning to Buffy the Vampire Slayer? Are you sure you are not mentioning shows that just get recycled and reborn? I am talking about shows that truly get cancelled. Very few ever come back in the same form with the same original cast. If they do very few obtain their previous level of success. There is a reason they were cancelled to begin with.

After season 5 Buffy moved from The WB to UPN. That's what Shellhead meant.

Thank you for clearing that up, but there was no cancellation to my knowledge. The network simply changed hands and continued to pick up the series for another season, correct?

Trends and popular mediums are all about financial backings. Period. You cant guess who will invest in what? chances are if you were back in 2003 and spotted TWD #1 in your LCS you'd pass on it and laugh at the person who'd tell you this is an investment copy.

I think the ultimate example for that would be out of the comic book/TV realm.

Social media- remember how hot myspace was and how lame fb was? Look at where they're now

The real question will be if the show gets picked up by another network will the books climb back up. I bought in at some strong prices but I sure as hell am not going to sell for pennies on the dollar. I'll light a cigar with them before I do that :idea:

Flame on

How many television shows can you name that frequently get picked up by other networks after their cancellation? Very few. If they were so popular why were they cancelled? No network would let go of a show that is performing well...although I do question PBS's decision to cancel 'Market Warriors.'

Even the cast of Seinfeld (a show I never watched), were able to negotiate an amazing feat of being the first show to have the main cast get paid one million collards per episode. This was no ordinary feat back in the 90's.

Rocky and Bullwinkle

Scooby-Doo

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

JAG

Baywatch

Friday Night Lights

Supernatural

Futurama

Now compare that amount to the number of shows that are cancelled and done for good. See what I mean?

I also question some of those shows, but have no reason to doubt you. Since when is Sarah Michelle Gellar returning to Buffy the Vampire Slayer? Are you sure you are not mentioning shows that just get recycled and reborn? I am talking about shows that truly get cancelled. Very few ever come back in the same form with the same original cast. If they do very few obtain their previous level of success. There is a reason they were cancelled to begin with.

Thank you for clearing that up, but there was no cancellation to my knowledge. The network simply changed hands and continued to pick up the series for another season, correct?

No cancellation, but it did go to a completely different network. It was through a bidding war between The WB and UPN not a change of network ownership.

Trends and popular mediums are all about financial backings. Period. You cant guess who will invest in what? chances are if you were back in 2003 and spotted TWD #1 in your LCS you'd pass on it and laugh at the person who'd tell you this is an investment copy.

I think the ultimate example for that would be out of the comic book/TV realm.

Social media- remember how hot myspace was and how lame fb was? Look at where they're now

I always liked Facebook better-lol!

To be fair, this is a biased observation to me. I don't collect or buy moderns so the latest 'hot' or 'cold' book is still waiting for me at my local comic book shop. We also don't know how many 'dogs' that individual bought before buying a WD #1.

Speculators generally lose. Look at how many people follow the herd just when observing the rationale behind financial investing. I remember people loving gold at $1800 an ounce and hating the DJIA when it was below 8000. I loved the DJIA below 8000 because I was able to buy not only shares of quality companies at a discount, but also shares of index funds at an ultra low price. Today, my portfolio is thanking me for it. I really don't know if I feel sorry for those that bought gold at $1800 because once again they sold low and bought high. To me those that are holding the Walking Dead #1 are doing the same thing that gold buyers and owners did when it was $1800. This is not a book I would hold for the long term. This is only an opinion. Looking at the glut of other moderns that are readily available and once hot I guess there are worse books one can speculate in. It is just not a book for me. Best way to word it. I like items that are generally at least thirty years old (usually...well almost always, a LOT older) and have more of a price history behind them.

Flame on

Rocky and Bullwinkle

Scooby-Doo

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

JAG

Baywatch

Friday Night Lights

Supernatural

Futurama

Yeah, most of those were movements. But moving a show from one network to another is extremely disruptive. Buffy went on for another two seasons after the switch.

For almost any other network show, I would agree that cancellation would usually mean it's over. But If you are referring to TWD, I think it could get cancelled anywhere from right now to a couple years from now and there would be a queue of networks ready to pick them up. It's too popular of a show with too strong of a cult following.

the 90s are back and I hate it.

2013: the year of the speculator

2012: the year of the speculator

2013: the year the speculator took it in the keister

I choose not to play this go around, so for me the 90's are still firmly wedged

between Roseanne's reek-cheeks, right where they belong :sumo:

roseanne-barr-bikini-1.jpg

At first I LMAO until I scrolled down. Then I started :cry: for the Tattoo Artist.

I wonder if she has to pay for his/her therapy? :sick:

Are you sure you are not mentioning shows that just get recycled and reborn? I am talking about shows that truly get cancelled. Very few ever come back in the same form with the same original cast. If they do very few obtain their previous level of success. There is a reason they were cancelled to begin with.

Family Guy.

I'm almost ready to concede that Walking Dead # 1's here to stay.

Not necessarily as the $2,200 book it is currently--esp. given that it's already risen 250% in the last two years, but that it may be the long-term equivalent of TMNT 1. This has taken me awhile because I personally don't like the book. At all; nor do I believe any book that's only 10 years old should be worth more than $1,000, let alone $2,000.

A pure supply and demand basis: Issue 1 had a print run of ~7,300 The latest issue had a print run of ~90,300. That's a _huge_ increase in the number of fans and readers.

It's lasted a decade and over 100 issues, and has crossed over into pop culture in a way I haven't seen since TMNT.

I personally don't get it, don't like the zombie genre, etc., but dang if those numbers aren't impressive (particularly because TMNT itself lasted what? Only 62 issues the first time around?)

Still speculative if you bought in today? Yup. A wise investment? Hard to say. It's a lot easier for it to rise another 20-30 percent than for it to double or triple again--and there are far less riskier comic book "investments" for $2,200. But dang--when there are more than 12 readers today for every available copy of the first issue, you've got a quick sale on issue 1. Liquidity here matters almost more than potential % increase.

My eyes! My eyes!

:ohnoez:

Be happy I didn't say Andrea Dworkin instead of Roseanne. :gossip:

To qoute the great Dr. Venture ''Try Googleing Andrea Dworkin on an empty stomach sometime'' :roflmao:

I'm almost ready to concede that Walking Dead # 1's here to stay.

Not necessarily as the $2,200 book it is currently--esp. given that it's already risen 250% in the last two years, but that it may be the long-term equivalent of TMNT 1. This has taken me awhile because I personally don't like the book. At all; nor do I believe any book that's only 10 years old should be worth more than $1,000, let alone $2,000.

A pure supply and demand basis: Issue 1 had a print run of ~7,300 The latest issue had a print run of ~90,300. That's a _huge_ increase in the number of fans and readers.

It's lasted a decade and over 100 issues, and has crossed over into pop culture in a way I haven't seen since TMNT.

I personally don't get it, don't like the zombie genre, etc., but dang if those numbers aren't impressive (particularly because TMNT itself lasted what? Only 62 issues the first time around?)

Still speculative if you bought in today? Yup. A wise investment? Hard to say. It's a lot easier for it to rise another 20-30 percent than for it to double or triple again--and there are far less riskier comic book "investments" for $2,200. But dang--when there are more than 12 readers today for every available copy of the first issue, you've got a quick sale on issue 1. Liquidity here matters almost more than potential % increase.

Are there really 12 readers today, or are people just buying multiple copies?