• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has there ever been a rise and fall so quickly? (Sixth Gun)

96 posts in this topic

I was looking through the for sale section and saw a full run of Sixth Gun going for about $125. Those were selling for almost ten times that a few months ago.

The rise of The Sixth Gun was meteoric, and it went through complete free fall after the series was canned by NBC.

Has any other series experienced this kind of roller coaster? I was going to ask in Modern, but I am curious about all ages.

It should tell you how volatile the modern speculative market is. It is sad to say, but 'pretzel logic' is sometimes the norm. When something is 'cold' no one wants it. This is why you often have buyers and speculators who only want or treasure something after it becomes coveted by other collectors and speculators; which occurs generally only after a rise in price. When something is 'hot' everyone wants it. Just look at WD #1.

This was my first quote with meaning, Seanfingh. See how it ended...

You guys brought up about how delicious pretzels are. I brought up about gluten free foods; further adding to the irony...

OK. Pretzels, Seinfeld, walking dead. Not sixth gun. Got it. :facepalm:

No, pretzel logic. Someone else brought up pretzels first.

Therefore your listing should be:

Walking Dead (see first post I quoted or you), 'pretzel logic,' pretzels, gluten free, then Seinfeld.

Walking Dead (see first post I quoted or you), 'pretzel logic,' pretzels, gluten free, then Seinfeld.

How about this. You are a brilliant logician. Your pearls of wisdom ring in my ears like the sonorous lilt of a thousand thousand angels singing. You right about everything. Except the fact that the guy you quoted was talking about the Sixth Gun getting picked up by another network, you whiffed on it and started talking about WD (again).

Almost all pre unity Valiant comics,

I paid 100 bucks for a magnus 12 in the 90's, now I can get a 9.8 for about that same price.

Harbinger 1 9.8 was selling about 1000 bucks last year, now its half of that.

Valiant has made a comeback, due to books that were mostly great stories, but it nosedived for a lot of years.

Don't forget all those Gold Valiants back in the 90's. I recall a veritable frenzy of people trying to find those things (almost as if they were printed with real gold) - and a few years later, the only people that owned them were the ones who used them for conversation pieces about how crazy the 90's were for comics.

Someone else mentioned the Clone ASMs, 149-150. Those skyrocketed, too, at the time - and now, I think they are back down to about $7-$10.

The one thing I really notice about modern comics (and the advent of CGC) is the justification that books are worth what they are worth. Back in my day :preach: a 'hot' book (within a year or two of release) was $50-$75 above cover price (the 1st Lady Death Chromium, Cry For Dawn, I, Lusipur). Even with inflation from the 90's to now, that's around $115 above cover.

This $1000 for a $4 book in a year or two is absolutely insane. Right now comic books are experiencing a gold rush due to all the crossover media potential and that never lasts forever. I'm doing my own speculating, sure - but I try to keep cautious about it.

How about this. You are a brilliant logician. Your pearls of wisdom ring in my ears like the sonorous lilt of a thousand thousand angels singing. You right about everything. Except the fact that the guy you quoted was talking about the Sixth Gun getting picked up by another network, you whiffed on it and started talking about WD (again).

lol

The real question will be if the show gets picked up by another network will the books climb back up. I bought in at some strong prices but I sure as hell am not going to sell for pennies on the dollar. I'll light a cigar with them before I do that :idea:

Flame on

How many television shows can you name that frequently get picked up by other networks after their cancellation? Very few. If they were so popular why were they cancelled? No network would let go of a show that is performing well...although I do question PBS's decision to cancel 'Market Warriors.'

Even the cast of Seinfeld (a show I never watched), were able to negotiate an amazing feat of being the first show to have the main cast get paid one million collards per episode. This was no ordinary feat back in the 90's.

It was never cancelled. It was never a show in the first place.

I am referring to the Walking Dead. Several individuals have stated that this will run for several more years; if not more. If it gets cancelled it is done for good. No network will ever touch it again.

I should have clarified as I was previously comparing this book to that of the success of WD #1 and its related show.

What about Arrested Development? Netflix licensed new episodes for the show 5+ years after Fox cancelled it.

the 90s are back and I hate it.

2013: the year of the speculator

2012: the year of the speculator

2013: the year the speculator took it in the keister

I choose not to play this go around, so for me the 90's are still firmly wedged

between Roseanne's reek-cheeks, right where they belong :sumo:

roseanne-barr-bikini-1.jpg

I should have clarified as I was previously comparing this book to that of the success of WD #1 and its related show.

What about Arrested Development? Netflix licensed new episodes for the show 5+ years after Fox cancelled it.

back issues of Arrested Development Comics hit new GPA's after that.

The real question will be if the show gets picked up by another network will the books climb back up. I bought in at some strong prices but I sure as hell am not going to sell for pennies on the dollar. I'll light a cigar with them before I do that :idea:

Flame on

How many television shows can you name that frequently get picked up by other networks after their cancellation? Very few. If they were so popular why were they cancelled? No network would let go of a show that is performing well...although I do question PBS's decision to cancel 'Market Warriors.'

Even the cast of Seinfeld (a show I never watched), were able to negotiate an amazing feat of being the first show to have the main cast get paid one million collards per episode. This was no ordinary feat back in the 90's.

Rocky and Bullwinkle

The Wonderful World of Disney

Scooby-Doo

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

JAG

Baywatch

Friday Night Lights

Supernatural

Futurama

Cougar Town - from ABC to TBS this year.

COPS - from Fox to Spike TV starting in the fall of this year.

Flame on

Rocky and Bullwinkle

Scooby-Doo

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

JAG

Baywatch

Friday Night Lights

Supernatural

Futurama

Now compare that amount to the number of shows that are cancelled and done for good. See what I mean?

I also question some of those shows, but have no reason to doubt you. Since when is Sarah Michelle Gellar returning to Buffy the Vampire Slayer? Are you sure you are not mentioning shows that just get recycled and reborn? I am talking about shows that truly get cancelled. Very few ever come back in the same form with the same original cast. If they do very few obtain their previous level of success. There is a reason they were cancelled to begin with.

the 90s are back and I hate it.

2013: the year of the speculator

2012: the year of the speculator

2013: the year the speculator took it in the keister

I choose not to play this go around, so for me the 90's are still firmly wedged

between Roseanne's reek-cheeks, right where they belong :sumo:

roseanne-barr-bikini-1.jpg

5bb.gif

-slym (that's twice, Dice) :(

Flame on

Rocky and Bullwinkle

Scooby-Doo

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

JAG

Baywatch

Friday Night Lights

Supernatural

Futurama

Now compare that amount to the number of shows that are cancelled and done for good. See what I mean?

I also question some of those shows, but have no reason to doubt you. Since when is Sarah Michelle Gellar returning to Buffy the Vampire Slayer? Are you sure you are not mentioning shows that just get recycled and reborn? I am talking about shows that truly get cancelled. Very few ever come back in the same form with the same original cast. If they do very few obtain their previous level of success. There is a reason they were cancelled to begin with.

After season 5 Buffy moved from The WB to UPN. That's what Shellhead meant.