• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I can't believe there's NOT a 9.9 or 10.0 of..

20 posts in this topic

Other sections have "there will never be a 9.8 of whatever book", and since there probably is no such copper book with this distinction, sans Vampirella 113, I figure that it's a surprise when there's NOT a 9.9 or 10.0 graded of any particular Marvel/DC book from the era.

I'll start. Omega Men 3. How can there not be at least a 9.9? The book always seems to be in the 9.8 realm. It's virtually indestructible, and there are none above 9.8.

Other sections have "there will never be a 9.8 of whatever book", and since there probably is no such copper book with this distinction, sans Vampirella 113, I figure that it's a surprise when there's NOT a 9.9 or 10.0 graded of any particular Marvel/DC book from the era.

CGC 9.9s of copper books that aren't squarebounds are super rare - are you sure you're not thinking about moderns? ???

any Uncanny X-Men book that can even sniff 'key' status from 150 to the mid-300s. Good majority of that portion of the run's in Copper, so it should count

Nope. Copper. I suppose only popular books will get mentioned, because nobody is going to have a Secret Defenders 4 graded at all, let alone a 9.9.

The vast majority of copper books do not and will never have a CGC 9.9 or CGC 10.0 copy in the census.

Check Greg's excellent census analysis: there are around 300,000 blue label books from the 1980-1989 era - out of those less than 1,200 are 9.9s or better, and most of those are random ASMs, UXMs, Wolverines and squarebounds like Batman: The Killing Joke, Batman: The Cult, Black Orchid v1, etc

It's not a surprise when a CA book doesn't have a 9.9 - it's a surprise when it does.

I suppose if everyone decided to get every copper book graded in massive quantities, (for obvious reasons that will not happen) there would be a lot of 9.9's. There's just so many of them printed.

Nope. Copper. I suppose only popular books will get mentioned, because nobody is going to have a Secret Defenders 4 graded at all, let alone a 9.9.

The vast majority of copper books do not and will never have a CGC 9.9 or CGC 10.0 copy in the census.

Check Greg's excellent census analysis: there are around 300,000 blue label books from the 1980-1989 era - out of those less than 1,200 are 9.9s or better, and most of those are random ASMs, UXMs, Wolverines and squarebounds like Batman: The Killing Joke, Batman: The Cult, Black Orchid v1, etc

It's not a surprise when a CA book doesn't have a 9.9 - it's a surprise when it does.

that's 1:250 for all graded books from that era, which puts the 0:2000+ number for DD 168 in perspective, though, when it comes to key books which still have value in sub NM grades, there will be a lot more submissions of less than NM copies than with other copper books. Still, with 108 9.8s, I'd be willing to bet that if they were all resubbed, there would be at least one 9.9.

Many of these books had print runs well over 100K, with fairly high percentages bagged and even boarded right after sale, then stored without reading more than once, if that. I doubt CGC has slabbed even 10% of the potential 9.9 & 10 candidates out there for copper age books.

I doubt CGC has slabbed even 10% of the potential 9.9 & 10 candidates out there for copper age books.

Why would someone risk slabbing a potential 9.9/10 for any non-key?

They risk the cost of slabbing, their reward is likely a 9.8 which will probably not be worth the cost of slabbing, or it might even get a 9.6 which is worth less than a raw copy to much of the market.

All for the one in a million chance of getting a 9.9 or a 10.

Its a losing bet, so why take it?

Now on keys, where 9.6s and 9.8s have value it makes sense.

But look at how long it took for a NM98 to show up in 10.0, and look at how many of those have gotten slabbed. Using that model, I am in no way surprised at the the # of 9.9s and 10s on census.

I doubt CGC has slabbed even 10% of the potential 9.9 & 10 candidates out there for copper age books.

Why would someone risk slabbing a potential 9.9/10 for any non-key?

They risk the cost of slabbing, their reward is likely a 9.8 which will probably not be worth the cost of slabbing, or it might even get a 9.6 which is worth less than a raw copy to much of the market.

All for the one in a million chance of getting a 9.9 or a 10.

Its a losing bet, so why take it?

Now on keys, where 9.6s and 9.8s have value it makes sense.

But look at how long it took for a NM98 to show up in 10.0, and look at how many of those have gotten slabbed. Using that model, I am in no way surprised at the the # of 9.9s and 10s on census.

:applause:

It was really meant for the key copper issues. Nobody except for a rare few are going to have their Hercules mini series books slabbed , in hopes of finding a 9.9 or 10. Same for the bulk of the age.