• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Uh oh, Man of Steel plummets at box office

126 posts in this topic

'Man of Steel' Latest Box-Office Champ to Lose Altitude Under Tough Competition

That represents a heftier than usual drop of 65 percent from the superhero movie's $116 million opening at the domestic box office. A 50 percent drop is typically considered the benchmark for a strong hold. But this isn’t a typical summer; the precipitous tumble by “Man of Steel” says more about the market than the movie.

The No. 1 films have had a tough time hanging on all summer.

Universals micro-budgeted horror thriller “The Purge” plunged 75 percent from its opening haul. Even “Fast and Furious 6,” which was in the top spot for three weeks, and “Iron Man 3” couldn’t do it. Universal's cars-and-criminal saga dropped 63 percent in its second week, and the Marvel sequel dropped 58 percent. The only exception to the trend was Paramount’s “Star Trek Into Darkness,” which dropped just 46 percent in its week.

Like has already been said, 2013 is going to be a tough year for movies to compete. There is just too much cool content.

speaking of hubris, buy the movie poster artwork for a mere $140,000! :banana:

http://www.drewstruzan.com/illustrated/portfolio/?fa=medium&gid=745&mp&gallerystart=1&pagestart=1&type=mp&gs=1

Damn! Now I actually want this!!! :o

Lets put the director in charge whose last few major films have been flops, not for everyone, and mixed reviews to see what happens. That is what happened in this case visually Snyder's films are eye candy, stunning to look at, and worth one few just for that, but beyond that with the exception of Watchmen they are held together by very loose connection with hardly any story and very little plot. That is what we got with Man of Steel visually appealing, but very weak plot held together on a shoestring. I hate to say it, but we got a very similar plot in Superman Unbound and it was a lot better than Man of Steel. I guess we can say the something behind GL First Flight being better than Green Lantern. You want good DC superhero movies then let the guys behind the animated ones take over the live action films that is when DC can compete with Marvel films.

From Box Office Mojo.....

In third place, Man of Steel added an estimated $41.2 million. That's off 65 percent from last weekend—68 percent if you roll in grosses from the Thursday ahead of opening day. The 65 percent decline is worse than The Incredible Hulk (60 percent) and only slightly better than notoriously front-loaded comic book movie Green Lantern (66 percent), which is not a flattering comparison. Still, at $210 million it's already topped the final tally of Superman Returns ($200 million); if the bleeding slows down next weekend, the movie could still ultimately wind up with over $300 million.

-------------------------------------

Well, let's hope the "bleeding" slows down. :insane:

Man of Steel has already beaten these superheroes at the box office domestically.

Batman Begins Domestic: $206,852,432

Thor Domestic: $181,030,624

X-Men Origins:Wolverine Domestic: $179,883,157

Captain America:The First Avenger Domestic: $176,654,505

Fantastic Four Domestic: $154,696,080

The Incredible Hulk Domestic: $134,806,913

Ghost Rider Domestic: $115,802,596

Daredevil Domestic: $102,543,518

Punisher Domestic: $33,810,189

and this is the first Man of Steel.

Wait until the second Man of Steel! :cloud9:

'Man of Steel' Latest Box-Office Champ to Lose Altitude Under Tough Competition

That represents a heftier than usual drop of 65 percent from the superhero movie's $116 million opening at the domestic box office. A 50 percent drop is typically considered the benchmark for a strong hold. But this isn’t a typical summer; the precipitous tumble by “Man of Steel” says more about the market than the movie.

The No. 1 films have had a tough time hanging on all summer.

Universals micro-budgeted horror thriller “The Purge” plunged 75 percent from its opening haul. Even “Fast and Furious 6,” which was in the top spot for three weeks, and “Iron Man 3” couldn’t do it. Universal's cars-and-criminal saga dropped 63 percent in its second week, and the Marvel sequel dropped 58 percent. The only exception to the trend was Paramount’s “Star Trek Into Darkness,” which dropped just 46 percent in its week.

Like has already been said, 2013 is going to be a tough year for movies to compete. There is just too much cool content.

I would tend to say the critics here killed Man of Steel before it got released. Sure going up against a long awaited movie like World War Z and a Pixar film does not help matters any, but you can't help it when critics pan the film strongly giving it roughly a 6/10. I thought the film was better than Iron Man 3, Star Trek 2 (They need to get the job done without relying on Spock Prime for answers), and Avengers. Avengers mainly because it was a team film and took forever to get anything done in it. That being said the last two superhero movies made really worth seeing was Amazing Spider-Man and Dark Knight Rises. Those are two films in which you can watch really like it the first time and watch again and pick up more to like it even more that is what makes a great movie is it rewatchable and to what extent.

In third place, Man of Steel added an estimated $41.2 million. That's off 65 percent from last weekend—68 percent if you roll in grosses from the Thursday ahead of opening day. The 65 percent decline is worse than The Incredible Hulk (60 percent) and only slightly better than notoriously front-loaded comic book movie Green Lantern (66 percent), which is not a flattering comparison. Still, at $210 million it's already topped the final tally of Superman Returns ($200 million); if the bleeding slows down next weekend, the movie could still ultimately wind up with over $300 million.

Man of Steel has already beaten these superheroes at the box office domestically.

A film like Man of Steel needs to make 3 times its budget to profitable so around 675 million to be considered a financial success.

A film like Man of Steel needs to make 3 times its budget to profitable so around 675 million to be considered a financial success.

I have to agree. Though they published the movie budget number, it wasn't as clear how much was spent on marketing. That number is huge, and has to come from someone to recover the investment.

But with hitting close to $400MM in the first week, I won't be surprised if it passes this number.

Those are gross numbers. MoS will not be earning much of a profit when all is said and done. This is DC's flagship character, the most recognized superhero in the world. I wouldn't be surprised if DC execs are getting a little nervous right about now. I wonder if they are already contemplating changes to MoS 2 production. Many part 2 movies do worse than part 1.

speaking of hubris, buy the movie poster artwork for a mere $140,000! :banana:

http://www.drewstruzan.com/illustrated/portfolio/?fa=medium&gid=745&mp&gallerystart=1&pagestart=1&type=mp&gs=1

Damn! Now I actually want this!!! :o

Lets put the director in charge whose last few major films have been flops, not for everyone, and mixed reviews to see what happens. That is what happened in this case visually Snyder's films are eye candy, stunning to look at, and worth one few just for that, but beyond that with the exception of Watchmen they are held together by very loose connection with hardly any story and very little plot. That is what we got with Man of Steel visually appealing, but very weak plot held together on a shoestring. I hate to say it, but we got a very similar plot in Superman Unbound and it was a lot better than Man of Steel. I guess we can say the something behind GL First Flight being better than Green Lantern. You want good DC superhero movies then let the guys behind the animated ones take over the live action films that is when DC can compete with Marvel films.

this.

Superman had made millions in promotions.

In fact the most by any movie this summer.

Superman-reboot-man-steel-snares-160million-promotions

I haven't seen the new movie yet, but I am concerned. I had a friend that saw it, who is about 32, not a comic fan, but likes most stuff that I like, and he said it was really disappointing. Said the acting was bad, and the fight scenes were just "not good". He liked the Batman films, and Iron Man and Avengers.

Again, he doesn't have a Marvel vs DC bias, just didn't like the movie.

I'll tell you what I told my coworkers watch the movie and be the judge of If is good or not. They all came back me today at work said the movie was awesome and they like it better than IM3.

(thumbs u

i differ from the critical consensus and the ww moviegoer preference, and see the 2 movies about on an equal plane.

Those are gross numbers. MoS will not be earning much of a profit when all is said and done. This is DC's flagship character, the most recognized superhero in the world. I wouldn't be surprised if DC execs are getting a little nervous right about now. I wonder if they are already contemplating changes to MoS 2 production. Many part 2 movies do worse than part 1.

I definitely disagree,as The Batman is by far DC's flagship character.

Yes, right now, because the Batman movies are better. Supes is still the most recognized superhero in the world. Batman/WW/Supes are supposed to be DC's Big 3, but only Bats gets decent writers.

How much was spent in promotions the Superbowl commercial, the NBA playoffs, and NBA Finals commercials featuring NBA superstars combined with Man of Steel scenes? Alot was spent on advertising more so than any other film I have seen in recent history.

Yes, right now, because the Batman movies are better. Supes is still the most recognized superhero in the world. Batman/WW/Supes are supposed to be DC's Big 3, but only Bats gets decent writers.

I'm not sure if he is the most recognized superhero in the world anymore. I think if they did a new study Batman would be. Sure people would know supes just by his symbol on his chest, but the same can be said for Batman. Since Detective 27 held the top spot for most expensive comic for a bit I would say Bats is more popular now. Yeah Batman gets better writers because he is a character everyone can relate with. Superman must be boring to write for I'm the most powerful character in the Universe nothing can beat me there is no challenge for him. The other thing to keep in min is that Batman more so than Superman has been on our screens and the worlds screens nonstop in some form for almost 30 years the same can't be said for Supes. I could come home from school watch Batman 66, see Batman in the theaters, watch the animated series, and more. Only the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Spider-Man can come close to competing with that exposure.

I'm not sure if he is the most recognized superhero in the world anymore. I think if they did a new study Batman would be. Sure people would know supes just by his symbol on his chest, but the same can be said for Batman. Since Detective 27 held the top spot for most expensive comic for a bit I would say Bats is more popular now. Yeah Batman gets better writers because he is a character everyone can relate with. Superman must be boring to write for I'm the most powerful character in the Universe nothing can beat me there is no challenge for him. The other thing to keep in min is that Batman more so than Superman has been on our screens and the worlds screens nonstop in some form for almost 30 years the same can't be said for Supes. I could come home from school watch Batman 66, see Batman in the theaters, watch the animated series, and more. Only the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Spider-Man can come close to competing with that exposure.

+1

You want good DC superhero movies then let the guys behind the animated ones take over the live action films that is when DC can compete with Marvel films.
this.
Timm knew how to pack 20 minutes with character, wit, charm, story and sense of wonder. (thumbs u Superman: Knight Time :cloud9:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xs5g74_superman-the-animated-series-knight-time-season-3-episode-43_shortfilms' target="_blank">

I would have to agree that presently Batman seems to be the Flagship character.

How much was spent in promotions the Superbowl commercial, the NBA playoffs, and NBA Finals commercials featuring NBA superstars combined with Man of Steel scenes? Alot was spent on advertising more so than any other film I have seen in recent history.

I don't think their were any MOS superbowl commercials, plus I don't Think NBA playoffs/finals commercials are any were near has expensive like the SuperBowl

I have to agree. Though they published the movie budget number, it wasn't as clear how much was spent on marketing. That number is huge, and has to come from someone to recover the investment.

But with hitting close to $400MM in the first week, I won't be surprised if it passes this number.

"Man of Steel," which cost about $225 million to produce and another $150 million or more to market and release

So it looks like they need to recover around $375 MM to $400 MM to break even, after the theaters get their cut of the profits.