• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Uh oh, Man of Steel plummets at box office

126 posts in this topic

Here's an excerpt....

Warner Bros. Pictures' Man of Steel dropped to third place and lost about 64.7% in ticket sales from its first weekend, a larger percentage than was expected. The Superman movie brought in $41.2 million its second weekend and has earned $210 million after two weeks. Overseas, the Zack Snyder-directed film performed much better in first place with another $89 million for an international total of $188.3 million. Worldwide, the $225 million-budgeted Man of Steel has reached $398.3 million.

---------------------------------------

Clearly, audiences preferred Iron Man 3 and The Avengers over Superman. Only Marvel has "it".

Kudos to DC for finally putting out a decent film, though. (thumbs u

Doesn't worry me.

MoS has almost made it's money back in the U.S.

Plus,it's doing very well in the International markets.

Lets just say it's doing better than Green Lantern.

They are saying the bulk of the revenue is coming from the international market, though domestic still contributes in a large way.

And the Pixar/Disney movie was expected to take the lead as Monsters Inc. was very much a heavy hitter with families. So a sequel done right was going to succeed.

Give it a few weeks and let's see how Man of Steel is doing.

I saw Monsters U this weekend. Was basically Revenge of the Nerds without the panty raid.

Yeah, but Monster Inc. is such a hit (I've watched it so many times with my kids), it doesn't matter. If kids want you to go see the sequel, you are going whether you like it or not.

:ohnoez:

Here's an excerpt....

Warner Bros. Pictures' Man of Steel dropped to third place and lost about 64.7% in ticket sales from its first weekend, a larger percentage than was expected. The Superman movie brought in $41.2 million its second weekend and has earned $210 million after two weeks. Overseas, the Zack Snyder-directed film performed much better in first place with another $89 million for an international total of $188.3 million. Worldwide, the $225 million-budgeted Man of Steel has reached $398.3 million.

---------------------------------------

Clearly, audiences preferred Iron Man 3 and The Avengers over Superman. Only Marvel has "it".

Kudos to DC for finally putting out a decent film, though. (thumbs u

Finally? doh!

I haven't seen the new movie yet, but I am concerned. I had a friend that saw it, who is about 32, not a comic fan, but likes most stuff that I like, and he said it was really disappointing. Said the acting was bad, and the fight scenes were just "not good". He liked the Batman films, and Iron Man and Avengers.

Again, he doesn't have a Marvel vs DC bias, just didn't like the movie.

Doesn't worry me.

MoS has almost made it's money back in the U.S.

Plus,it's doing very well in the International markets.

Lets just say it's doing better than Green Lantern.

They are saying the bulk of the revenue is coming from the international market, though domestic still contributes in a large way.

And the Pixar/Disney movie was expected to take the lead as Monsters Inc. was very much a heavy hitter with families. So a sequel done right was going to succeed.

Give it a few weeks and let's see how Man of Steel is doing.

Between WWZ and Monsters U., and then Despicable Me 2 and The Lone Ranger coming up in about 10 days, MOS is going to drop like a rock at the box office.

I haven't seen the new movie yet, but I am concerned. I had a friend that saw it, who is about 32, not a comic fan, but likes most stuff that I like, and he said it was really disappointing. Said the acting was bad, and the fight scenes were just "not good". He liked the Batman films, and Iron Man and Avengers.

Again, he doesn't have a Marvel vs DC bias, just didn't like the movie.

The sky ain't falling yet.

"lost about 64.7% in ticket sales from its first weekend, a larger percentage than was expected."

Heaven forbid it do anything other than what was expected.

The sky is falling the sky is falling :ohnoez:

The kids all want to see Monsters U over Man of MOS.

If the Avengers, IM 1 and the Dark knight all opened this weekend along with the new Pixar film, they would have gone to see Monsters U.

Did I forget to say that they are in their 30's?

I'm not sure what this weeks BOx office numbers tell us?

During that year in time,2003, the INCREDIBLE HULK movie w/ Eric Bana and Jennifer Connally held the all-time record for a drop off at the box office, reported in Variety magazine, and that week-end drop off was 69.7%.

Here's the cut-n-paste figures:

$62,128,420 (USA) (22 June 2003) (3,660 Screens)

The following week box office figures:

$18,847,620 (USA) (29 June 2003) (3,674 Screens

The MOS was a bigger budgeted "tentpole" blockbuster, approximately 100 million MORE than the Ang Lee Directed HULK, but rest assured that both movies made their investors some coin. Methinks the profit participation for MOS will be double of the Ang Lee HULK. Just my 2c

CAL

During that year in time,2003, the INCREDIBLE HULK movie w/ Eric Bana and Jennifer Connally held the all-time record for a drop off at the box office, reported in Variety magazine, and that week-end drop off was 69.7%.

The MOS was a bigger budgeted "tentpole" blockbuster, approximately 100 million MORE than the Ang Lee Directed HULK, but rest assured that both movies made their investors some coin. Methinks the profit participation for MOS will be double of the Ang Lee HULK. Just my 2c

CAL

Prior to the era of the blockbusters, movies relied on word of mouth more than anything else. They started on fewer screens and worked their way across regions and into rural areas at the same pace as the predicted push. When they began the nationwide release, preceded by a marketing campaign, it really intensified the opening weekend phenomenon. It's clear that word of mouth still has a big place in our habits, though. You still hear comments similar to "I heard that's good" and "I heard that's not so good." I'm afraid a lot of people walked out of "Man of Steel" with "so-so" reactions.

CAL

Prior to the era of the blockbusters, movies relied on word of mouth more than anything else. They started on fewer screens and worked their way across regions and into rural areas at the same pace as the predicted push. When they began the nationwide release, preceded by a marketing campaign, it really intensified the opening weekend phenomenon. It's clear that word of mouth still has a big place in our habits, though. You still hear comments similar to "I heard that's good" and "I heard that's not so good." I'm afraid a lot of people walked out of "Man of Steel" with "so-so" reactions.

people here pooh pooh the critics but joe six pack obviously agreed, word of mouth was not good. 65% drop is pretty bad. will do $300mm US and $750mm WW. a big uptick from Superman Returns; we'll see another movie in a couple of years.