• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you still have this book? Let me lowball you an offer.

49 posts in this topic

Some person knew I still had a key book that I tried selling once but it never sold at that time and this person contacted me via the internet unexpectedly asking me if they could buy it from me. I told this person I could sell it to them for the right price. I asked what their price is and this person asks me what I am willing to sell it for. I told them a FMV price for this book in its grade. They told me it is too high for them and ask for the lowest I would go. I give them the lowest I could go without losing what I paid for it. This fraud comes back with a lowball price and wanted me to pay all the shipping costs too so they could flip my book at over 25% profit or more.

Why bother ask for the lowest price someone will go and then lowball it some more?

Heck, why waste a person’s time on something they are not selling just to make a crappy offer to buy it?

You should decline his purchase offer if it is lower than you are willing to accept.

2c

I did but they keep trying to tell me they are trying to help me by lowballing me. I just stopped answering their messages.

Until this part of the message, I disagreed with your stance. First, there's nothing wrong with anybody, dealer or otherwise, offering below market value. If you don't like the offer, you can just say no. Frankly, 20 or 25% is the margin most dealers buy on for slabs and many less because many books sit. For a big key, that's a low offer, but the guy isn't a "fraud" or anything else simply because they offered low.

Now, once you decline and they don't let it go, they shift into the wrong.

Agreed.

Although I was hoping more that it would shift into the OP asking the person to wear a shearling coat and meet him at IKEA, have him cuffed, then make a hologram from the photo scene.

@Balls, Met: I think the case with keldog it’s of an annoying person, insisting when he already gave his lowest price he’d be willing to sell. What you say is true, but as long as it‘s clear a person won’t sell below a certain amount is annoying to behave that way. :)

I was on the opposite end of this spectrum at a flea market this weekend. Guy selling his childhood collection of 8 or so boxes. The usual 90s stuff.

Two boxes were "6 for a dollar;" another two were $1 apiece. Then "ask marked."

I pull a group of books including New Mutants 98, 87, and Cap Annual 8.

But "as marked" was $133, $67, and $20, respectively.

We chat a bit, and I ended up walking away. Because at that level of delusion--at a flea market, no less, I'm not going to bother negotiating with you.

True, the New Mutants 98 (9.4-ish) has a 20-25% chance of selling at that price, but eBay FMV is more like $85-$90.

The Cap Annual 8's maybe a $10-12 book, and last I checked, raw New Mutants 87's haven't been worth $67 since they peaked in 1991 and now hover around $20.

The point--it's hard for me to even want to negotiate with you if you're pricing such that I've got to ask for a 50% discount to even begin to approach FMV. And then I'm probably not going to pay FMV at a flea market, where stuff's supposed to be discounted.

I just sold a #87 on here for $25; it was a strict 9.2. I bought it for $20 a few years back at Mega-Con. I was fine with the selling price.

They told me it is too high for them and ask for the lowest I would go. I give them the lowest I could go without losing what I paid for it.

The prospective "buyer" got you to negotiate against yourself. Never do this. 2c

Yeah--I could see New Mutants 87 selling for anywhere from $15-$30, depending on the venue.

But you understand that's different from somebody starting with an asking price of $67. If I have to ask for a 67% discount just to get down to a reasonable price (much less a "bargain"), I'm walking away and will just skip you next time.

I was on the opposite end of this spectrum at a flea market this weekend. Guy selling his childhood collection of 8 or so boxes. The usual 90s stuff.

Two boxes were "6 for a dollar;" another two were $1 apiece. Then "ask marked."

I pull a group of books including New Mutants 98, 87, and Cap Annual 8.

But "as marked" was $133, $67, and $20, respectively.

We chat a bit, and I ended up walking away. Because at that level of delusion--at a flea market, no less, I'm not going to bother negotiating with you.

True, the New Mutants 98 (9.4-ish) has a 20-25% chance of selling at that price, but eBay FMV is more like $85-$90.

The Cap Annual 8's maybe a $10-12 book, and last I checked, raw New Mutants 87's haven't been worth $67 since they peaked in 1991 and now hover around $20.

The point--it's hard for me to even want to negotiate with you if you're pricing such that I've got to ask for a 50% discount to even begin to approach FMV. And then I'm probably not going to pay FMV at a flea market, where stuff's supposed to be discounted.

You should have come back with a higher price "I cant buy that for anything less than $250 and I wont take no for an answer!"

then watched his head explode.

Some person knew I still had a key book that I tried selling once but it never sold at that time and this person contacted me via the internet unexpectedly asking me if they could buy it from me. I told this person I could sell it to them for the right price. I asked what their price is and this person asks me what I am willing to sell it for. I told them a FMV price for this book in its grade. They told me it is too high for them and ask for the lowest I would go. I give them the lowest I could go without losing what I paid for it. This fraud comes back with a lowball price and wanted me to pay all the shipping costs too so they could flip my book at over 25% profit or more.

Why bother ask for the lowest price someone will go and then lowball it some more?

Heck, why waste a person’s time on something they are not selling just to make a crappy offer to buy it?

You should decline his purchase offer if it is lower than you are willing to accept.

2c

I did but they keep trying to tell me they are trying to help me by lowballing me. I just stopped answering their messages.

Until this part of the message, I disagreed with your stance. First, there's nothing wrong with anybody, dealer or otherwise, offering below market value. If you don't like the offer, you can just say no. Frankly, 20 or 25% is the margin most dealers buy on for slabs and many less because many books sit. For a big key, that's a low offer, but the guy isn't a "fraud" or anything else simply because they offered low.

Now, once you decline and they don't let it go, they shift into the wrong.

^^

The respectable thing is to apologize when you are lowballing a seller.

Something along the lines:

"I know some people think this book is worth $500, but sorry... it's only worth $25 to me. If you want quick cash... it can be yours."

Either that or have two or three of your friends lowball the seller really bad. Then you magically appear like the knight in shining armor who is willing to offer a whopping $10 more.

DG

"I know some people think this book is worth $500, but sorry... it's only worth $25 to me. If you want quick cash... it can be yours."

Either that or have two or three of your friends lowball the seller really bad. Then you magically appear like the knight in shining armor who is willing to offer a whopping $10 more.

DG

Why does one have to apologize for low balling? Should someone be sorry for only wanting to pay a certain price? They have no more reason to apologize than the seller for rejecting the low ball offer.

The respectable thing to do if you are low balling is be honest with the price you are willing to pay, then walk away if the deal doesn't pan out.

I have been on both ends. No regrets.

Its not personal.

This.

Some people just can't help themselves, they think everything is a negotiation. Any price listed, no matter how low or already below percieved value it may be, is just a "starting place" and automatically a place to go down from.

In my selling thread I’m constantly “offered” lower amounts than my asking prices, which are already below accepted market value for their condition and include all shipping expenses. Absolutely nowhere do I invite offers but it still happens. It used to anger me until I realized that everyone doing so would be doing it to anybody, not just me (and the best revenge is when someone comes along and stakes the :takeit: on the item in question before I can even respond to the lowball offer :cloud9: ). Don’t worry about it so much and don’t try to justify or rationalize others behavior, it’ll make you crazy.

Why are you offering things for reasonable prices on eBay anyway? (shrug)

Just do like most everyone else there does, ask for 2-3 times the real value of something in your BIN price and when someone offers you half you’ll actually get what it’s worth. (thumbs u

Its not personal.

This.

Some people just can't help themselves, they think everything is a negotiation. Any price listed, no matter how low or already below percieved value it may be, is just a "starting place" and automatically a place to go down from.

Maybe they think you're playing hardball when actually that is the lowest price you can offer? In 2011 at C2E2 I walked up to a well known book dealers booth, and another customer was negotiating with him for a Spidey 50 9.2. The customer asked for the best price the book could be sold for, and was given the lowest price the dealer could take as it was on consignment. Three times he asked the dealer to meet a lower figure and three times the dealer said "sorry, no". Now, the figures were not far off, maybe $150 to $250, but it's still the fact that the customer persisted even when told flat out the lowest price the book could sell for.

DG

Why does one have to apologize for low balling? Should someone be sorry for only wanting to pay a certain price? They have no more reason to apologize than the seller for rejecting the low ball offer.

The respectable thing to do if you are low balling is be honest with the price you are willing to pay, then walk away if the deal doesn't pan out.

I have been on both ends. No regrets.

I was joking. You will find that many people are more willing to negotiate if you are compassionate to their loss.

DG

Why does one have to apologize for low balling? Should someone be sorry for only wanting to pay a certain price? They have no more reason to apologize than the seller for rejecting the low ball offer

There's lowballers, and there's looooowballers. I remember when I was selling an X-Men #94 CGC 9.0 on here, and one guy offered me $125 for it. Then he offered me $130. He kept up with the PM'ing, until Nik (RIP, brother) came along and offered me just below FMV, with a raw mid-grade copy signed under the indicia by John Byrne thrown in. Nik was good like that, and I still have that book.

What's funny was that when I told him about the lowballer, he knew who it was in one guess. I was still kind of new to the boards at the time, but he treated me like a friend & colleague. That particular transaction with the lowballing almost soured me on these boards before I even really got started. If it weren't for Nik, I probably wouldn't still be here.

Why does one have to apologize for low balling? Should someone be sorry for only wanting to pay a certain price? They have no more reason to apologize than the seller for rejecting the low ball offer

There's lowballers, and there's looooowballers. I remember when I was selling an X-Men #94 CGC 9.0 on here, and one guy offered me $125 for it. Then he offered me $130. He kept up with the PM'ing, until Nik (RIP, brother) came along and offered me just below FMV, with a raw mid-grade copy signed under the indicia by John Byrne thrown in. Nik was good like that, and I still have that book.

What's funny was that when I told him about the lowballer, he knew who it was in one guess. I was still kind of new to the boards at the time, but he treated me like a friend & colleague. That particular transaction with the lowballing almost soured me on these boards before I even really got started. If it weren't for Nik, I probably wouldn't still be here.

gman?

One of my retailer friends got very annoyed with a customer once. The guy kept asking if he could have an item half off. My friend tore the item in half and said "Which half do you want?"

DG

Boy I bet that really showed the customer. :screwy:

gman?

I'll give you one hint...his username has one cent in his name-brand sport shoes. :D

One of my retailer friends got very annoyed with a customer once. The guy kept asking if he could have an item half off. My friend tore the item in half and said "Which half do you want?"

DG

Boy I bet that really showed the customer. :screwy:

At some point it becomes disrespectful to keep asking after you've already gotten your answer. The customer got the hint that his offer was an insult. At no point was he desperate for the sale or the guy's money. He made that very clear. I admire the point he made. I think he was also helping other customers and the guy kept interrupting.

DG