• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you still have this book? Let me lowball you an offer.

49 posts in this topic

Some person knew I still had a key book that I tried selling once but it never sold at that time and this person contacted me via the internet unexpectedly asking me if they could buy it from me. I told this person I could sell it to them for the right price. I asked what their price is and this person asks me what I am willing to sell it for. I told them a FMV price for this book in its grade. They told me it is too high for them and ask for the lowest I would go. I give them the lowest I could go without losing what I paid for it. This fraud comes back with a lowball price and wanted me to pay all the shipping costs too so they could flip my book at over 25% profit or more.

Why bother ask for the lowest price someone will go and then lowball it some more?

Heck, why waste a person’s time on something they are not selling just to make a crappy offer to buy it?

Some person knew I still had a key book that I tried selling once but it never sold at that time and this person contacted me via the internet unexpectedly asking me if they could buy it from me. I told this person I could sell it to them for the right price. I asked what their price is and this person asks me what I am willing to sell it for. I told them a FMV price for this book in its grade. They told me it is too high for them and ask for the lowest I would go. I give them the lowest I could go without losing what I paid for it. This fraud comes back with a lowball price and wanted me to pay all the shipping costs too so they could flip my book at over 25% profit or more.

Why bother ask for the lowest price someone will go and then lowball it some more?

Heck, why waste a person’s time on something they are not selling just to make a crappy offer to buy it?

You should decline his purchase offer if it is lower than you are willing to accept.

2c

How do you know they flipped the book?
I don't really but when you have someone try and act like a dealer on one of these Pawn or Comic Book Men tv shows with prices on buying something you own then it is not that hard to see what they are doing.

You should decline his purchase offer if it is lower than you are willing to accept.

2c

I did but they keep trying to tell me they are trying to help me by lowballing me. I just stopped answering their messages.

I get this almost everytime I sell a higher $ book on ebay.
I have gotten that too but months after the listing is over seem just not the proper thing to do.

2c

I did but they keep trying to tell me they are trying to help me by lowballing me. I just stopped answering their messages.

Post the book with scans, I would consider offering you $50 less than they are offering you just to help you with this problem.

I can take that off your hands AND get rid this guy off your back.

:baiting:

2c

Post the book with scans, I would consider offering you $50 less than they are offering you just to help you with this problem.

I can take that off your hands AND get rid this guy off your back.

:baiting:

lol

2c

Until this part of the message, I disagreed with your stance. First, there's nothing wrong with anybody, dealer or otherwise, offering below market value. If you don't like the offer, you can just say no. Frankly, 20 or 25% is the margin most dealers buy on for slabs and many less because many books sit. For a big key, that's a low offer, but the guy isn't a "fraud" or anything else simply because they offered low.

Now, once you decline and they don't let it go, they shift into the wrong.

Everyone wants to buy books for as little as possible.

Everyone wants to sell books for as much as possible.

Its not personal.

Everyone has finite resources and wants to get as many books as possible with those finite resources.

Now if he's badgering you, he's the douchenozzler mcgurkin, not you, but there's nothing wrong with a low ball offer, its the start of a conversation. Plenty of deals are made as a result of a conversation. No deals are made without one.

Now you tell me. I been doing this backwards. I thought it was the inverse.

Its not personal.

Everyone has finite resources and wants to get as many books as possible with those finite resources.

Now if he's badgering you, he's the douchenozzler mcgurkin, not you, but there's nothing wrong with a low ball offer, its the start of a conversation. Plenty of deals are made as a result of a conversation. No deals are made without one.

+1

I like to think that when I do throw a lowball out there, the seller doesn't take it personal. I don't lowball everything, and I try not to be a douchenozzle-ey about it when I do.

I was on the opposite end of this spectrum at a flea market this weekend. Guy selling his childhood collection of 8 or so boxes. The usual 90s stuff.

Two boxes were "6 for a dollar;" another two were $1 apiece. Then "ask marked."

I pull a group of books including New Mutants 98, 87, and Cap Annual 8.

But "as marked" was $133, $67, and $20, respectively.

We chat a bit, and I ended up walking away. Because at that level of delusion--at a flea market, no less, I'm not going to bother negotiating with you.

True, the New Mutants 98 (9.4-ish) has a 20-25% chance of selling at that price, but eBay FMV is more like $85-$90.

The Cap Annual 8's maybe a $10-12 book, and last I checked, raw New Mutants 87's haven't been worth $67 since they peaked in 1991 and now hover around $20.

The point--it's hard for me to even want to negotiate with you if you're pricing such that I've got to ask for a 50% discount to even begin to approach FMV. And then I'm probably not going to pay FMV at a flea market, where stuff's supposed to be discounted.