• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

No More Mr. Matheson

38 posts in this topic

I especially liked the movies he made with Roger Corman, Vincent Price and Boris Karloff in the early sixties. May he rest in peace. :sorry:

Dude, I honestly just got finished reading that book (collected with some other stories) yesterday!

Wow, RIP, master writer.

-slym

It's good, right? I think I read the same collection as you, a few years ago.

All us fans of zombie movies will miss Mr. Matheson who was the true creator of the undead zombie horror genre. Dont get me wrong, Im a huge fan of George Romero but the reality is it was Richard Matheson that created this genre.

"Stir Of Echoes" based on Matheson's book is still a scary movie to this day.

Even "Real Steel" starring Hugh Jackman came from a Matheson short story called "Steel". The guy covered so many topics.

rip.gif

"Stir Of Echoes" based on Matheson's book is still a scary movie to this day.

Even "Real Steel" starring Hugh Jackman came from a Matheson short story called "Steel". The guy covered so many topics.

rip.gif

And there's a sweet Lee Marvin Twilight Zone episode based on Steel as well.

lee-marvin-twilight-zone.jpg

He was a great writer, I love his short stories.

He also wrote Duel.

duel-1971-dennis-weaver-pic-2.jpg

Duel was so brilliant. Both as a story and then as Spielberg's debut feature film. The periods of quiet were so unsettling against the barren desert; it was a master class in how *not* using a score all the time could add to a movie's impact.

Another great Matheson piece was his short "Button, Button", which was butchered in its stretched-out film adaptation as The Box, but freaked me out as a kid when I saw it closer to its true form in an episode of "The Twilight Zone."

Check it out - a spooky quick diversion:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1ZOX04z-Fo

Thanks for all the great work, Mr. Matheson.

87 years old.

Good life! :headbang:

Once you reach 80 your in bonus time anyway.

I hope we all are that lucky!