• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sellers are now using projected grades?

289 posts in this topic

Here is my take on it.

If the book is currently a raw 9.0 but has defects that would press out and POSSIBLY get a bump I could see the seller put a premium on the value of a raw 9.0 book. If it is $400 as a raw book or $800.00 in GPA as a 9.2 then a fair price might be $400 plus a small premium. Would I expect to pay $800.00? Anyone who knows me would say no. I would go out a just buy a 9.2 copy that is already graded that might have potential instead of me accepting all the risk.

If the seller does not want to leave that much money on the table then he or she should go through the money and time investment of getting the book pressed and graded.

What I read into a sales thread like the one in question is: "I am not willing to take the risk, but I have no problem charging full GPA prices and happily pass on all that risk to you".

I try to take this approach when selling at Chicago. As October said, the dealers are happy to have first shot at the books and will pay a decent price. But since they're dealers - they need to make a profit.

Just a shame that he made extremely grandiose claims about books that are clearly far from exceptional-looking and set himself up for a critical mauling and correction from many very knowledgable collectors and dealers.

I'll genericize this to cover the other posted links and 'dealers'...., Isn't it great that they are so transparent? It gives that extra "watch out!" to those that are paying attention. :think:

Here is my take on it.

If the book is currently a raw 9.0 but has defects that would press out and POSSIBLY get a bump I could see the seller put a premium on the value of a raw 9.0 book. If it is $400 as a raw book or $800.00 in GPA as a 9.2 then a fair price might be $400 plus a small premium. Would I expect to pay $800.00? Anyone who knows me would say no. I would go out a just buy a 9.2 copy that is already graded that might have potential instead of me accepting all the risk.

If the seller does not want to leave that much money on the table then he or she should go through the money and time investment of getting the book pressed and graded.

What I read into a sales thread like the one in question is: "I am not willing to take the risk, but I have no problem charging full GPA prices and happily pass on all that risk to you".

I try to take this approach when selling at Chicago. As October said, the dealers are happy to have first shot at the books and will pay a decent price. But since they're dealers - they need to make a profit.

Hate to say it Moondog... but since the invention of the internet, we ALL are basically dealers in this hobby now. 2c

Just a shame that he made extremely grandiose claims about books that are clearly far from exceptional-looking and set himself up for a critical mauling and correction from many very knowledgable collectors and dealers.

I'll genericize this to cover the other posted links and 'dealers'...., Isn't it great that they are so transparent? It gives that extra "watch out!" to those that are paying attention. :think:

Mike knows ! ;)

Mike knows ! ;)

;)

Here is my take on it.

Hate to say it Moondog... but since the invention of the internet, we ALL are basically dealers in this hobby now. 2c

Of course, there's a difference between being primarily a dealer and primarily a collector. I'll still pay 'collector' prices for books I want (let's say 'collectorish' since I'm a cheap bastid). If I have extra money lying around, I may buy books I know I can flip for a profit. I've mostly abandoned this strategy, however, as I've found I'm not very good at it and can make much, much more money at my day job.

On the other hand, there is always the inevitable upgrade or focus change that can thrust the 'dealer' hat on a collector. What a colossal pita that is.

I'm not arguing and no I'm not asking for "regulations" regarding this type of selling.

I just think it is a lousy way to sell books and is very short sighted financially.

+1 :applause:

Here is my take on it.

I think he was talking about people who actually set up at comic shows, who have many more expenses to cover?

I don't see how I am cultivating a good buying relationship, in fact I think I'm losing more buyers than the profit margin I've made short term. Again, I'll state it again. The person that does the best is the seller that can sell to EVERYBODY.

I'm not arguing and no I'm not asking for "regulations" regarding this type of selling.

I just think it is a lousy way to sell books and is very short sighted financially.

Nobody (including Revat and myself) are disagreeing with you. (shrug)

The point of the conversation that I thought people were making from the start of this thread was that it was "wrong" to do this sort of thing.

I personally don't see it as "wrong". It's just not as appealing to the buyer as the ways you mention to price/sell a book because there is more risk to factor into the purchase. Everyone has a different level of risk tolerance. A person with one level of risk tolerance is not more right than the other person with a different level of risk tolerance.

People price various things into books using multiple factors including previous sales trends, what it costs to replace the book, what you are currently into the book for, page quality, centring, etc. I've said it before - pressable defects are just another quality in a comic book that some people may want to pay a premium for. People who like to press books will pay for that premium for obvious, financial reasons and people who don't like pressed books may pay a premium because they don't like pressing.

In the end people can either choose to support with their dollars or walk away.

To me, that's the answer to this entire thread.