• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sellers are now using projected grades?

289 posts in this topic

Yes, I don't sell "HYPE - Hope you paid enough". I sell reality. It is what it is right now and should be priced as such.

But hey, if people want to "tip the seller" on what the book could be I will put out a jar for the next show. I think I know what will be in it at the end of the show which is exactly what you should be paying for "potential", nothing.

I guaranty that if you put out that jar in Chicago, there will be at least $1 in it at the end. Maybe more if I can get the collector's price on books I want to flip. :baiting:

WWSFD? hm

Whatever it is, it involves Greek yogurt and righteous anger.

So, he is feeling all victimey? Is it funny that I first read that as what would SuFunk do?

WWSFD? hm

So, he is feeling all victimey? Is it funny that I first read that as what would SuFunk do?

I don't think he's feeling victimey. I've always read righteous anger into his actions.

WWSFD? hm

I don't think he's feeling victimey. I've always read righteous anger into his actions.

His cause is righteous. His anger is justified. But that doesn't mean arch wont label him all victimey.

I always read his posts with a Midwestern twang that echoes Gomer Pyle.

If the seller does not want to leave that much money on the table then he or she should go through the money and time investment of getting the book pressed and graded.

This.

+1

And if this is your feeling about it, that makes sense and its perfectly natural. A person can just move past the sale or try to negotiate lower prices. Doesn't sound like something that needs regulating. If the market doesn't like this type of behavior, it will self regulate over time.

But what if a dealer you you trust had two copies,, same grade. He'll cut you a deal on anything you buy anyways. He's got one which he tells you will probably press to a higher grade. Some of of you are basically saying he shouldn't tell you and shouldn't charge you more for it. And that's fine, but certainly you understand that SOME people would want to know and would pay more for the pressable copy.

But if one seller has a right to sell that way, shouldn't each seller have the same right? It's actually more a matter of trusting a seller than anything else. All these other questions stem from there. Every one has different risk aversion, some people thrive in the gamble.

I personally don't think it's ideal to sell based on post press grades, but feels like more of a buyer beware situation vs a lets regulate situation

I was scammed by this with the sellers "guaranteed" grade or money back. A cracked and pressed 8.5 that was guaranteed to come back as a 9.2, came back an 8.0. He took the book back, but I learned a lesson in paying too much for a raw book and ate grading fees on top of it.

If it's in a slab, the grade is the grade. Sellers say "9.2 looks like a 9.4 candidate" etc etc. All bull. It's a 9.2! Someone said it should be a 9.3. I've seen all types of fantasy pitches on EBay.

Well scammed is a little much. You did get your money back. I don't agree with the sellers tactics, but he was truthful about his word on refunding you the money if the book did not upgrade.

I was scammed by this with the sellers "guaranteed" grade or money back. A cracked and pressed 8.5 that was guaranteed to come back as a 9.2, came back an 8.0. He took the book back, but I learned a lesson in paying too much for a raw book and ate grading fees on top of it.

If it's in a slab, the grade is the grade. Sellers say "9.2 looks like a 9.4 candidate" etc etc. All bull. It's a 9.2! Someone said it should be a 9.3. I've seen all types of fantasy pitches on EBay.

Well scammed is a little much. You did get your money back. I don't agree with the sellers tactics, but he was truthful about his word on refunding you the money if the book did not upgrade.

You sold me a book once and I asked you if you felt it was pressable to 9.8 and you said you believed it would. It did...I don't know if I ever thanked you, so I'm doing it now. Thanks :)

You sold me a book once and I asked you if you felt it was pressable to 9.8 and you said you believed it would. It did...I don't know if I ever thanked you, so I'm doing it now. Thanks :)

Get a room.

Get a room.

You were so nice in person :(

(thumbs u

Get a room.

You were so nice in person :(

He has multiple personalities. hm

It's not only a little much, it's completely inaccurate. "Guaranteed or money back" means if you don't get the grade, you get your money back. Which is what happened.

If you want a guaranteed CGC 9.2, buy a CGC 9.2.

:facepalm:

Yes, I don't sell "HYPE - Hope you paid enough". I sell reality. It is what it is right now and should be priced as such.

But hey, if people want to "tip the seller" on what the book could be I will put out a jar for the next show. I think I know what will be in it at the end of the show which is exactly what you should be paying for "potential", nothing.

Sorry about that, I thought it was a spittoon. doh!

Sure, but you've described a situation where there really is no upgrade potential, and someone who was trying to charge the full final price as well.

It makes more sense when there is obviously some true upgrade potential, and the seller's price leaves some room for the buyer to come out ahead.

I don't know any pressers who can bat 100 on pressing candidates, much less know with 100% certainty what the grade outcome will be. Go back to the listing and see not one but seven raw/uncertified books listed with "projected" grades and GPA's on the grades.

Joey or Matt are the only ones I can recall being members here whose expertise I would defer to qualify/confirm the above bolded statement.

I don't see any difference whatsoever between the example I provided and what the seller here was attempting, except the obvious difference that in the example I provided the seller was trying to pass off one certified item and the listing here had seven raw comics.

Here is another way to put a spin on this type of sale.

I prefer to think of it as a passive/aggressive selling method.

Upgraders always want the fastest and easiest purchase. They jokingly want the red button behind my booth that pops up the upgrade books.

Some of them just seek the home run.

The seller has identified that book for them and to annoy them asks the "potential" price.

Here is another way to put a spin on this type of sale.

I prefer to think of it as a passive/aggressive selling method.

Upgraders always want the fastest and easiest purchase. They jokingly want the red button behind my booth that pops up the upgrade books.

Some of them just seek the home run.

The seller has identified that book for them and to annoy them asks the "potential" price.

Seems like a ton of time and effort just to annoy them or prod them, don't you think?

To me it feels more like someone seeking to take all the aspects of selling threads that annoy forum members and roll them all into one big ball.

As someone said to me, if the seller could just be adamant about shipping the books in an envelope instead of a box, and mentioned they were deslabbed PGX books, the circle would have been complete.

If the seller does not want to leave that much money on the table then he or she should go through the money and time investment of getting the book pressed and graded.

This.

+1

And if this is your feeling about it, that makes sense and its perfectly natural. A person can just move past the sale or try to negotiate lower prices. Doesn't sound like something that needs regulating. If the market doesn't like this type of behavior, it will self regulate over time.

But what if a dealer you you trust had two copies,, same grade. He'll cut you a deal on anything you buy anyways. He's got one which he tells you will probably press to a higher grade. Some of of you are basically saying he shouldn't tell you and shouldn't charge you more for it. And that's fine, but certainly you understand that SOME people would want to know and would pay more for the pressable copy.

But if one seller has a right to sell that way, shouldn't each seller have the same right? It's actually more a matter of trusting a seller than anything else. All these other questions stem from there. Every one has different risk aversion, some people thrive in the gamble.

I personally don't think it's ideal to sell based on post press grades, but feels like more of a buyer beware situation vs a lets regulate situation

If it is a situation where the buyer may choose to offer more because of the potential that is one thing, but it is something different for the seller to expect a significant premium because of their opinion that it would press higher.

To me this selling tactic always seems like the seller has no confidence in their prediction. If they did, it would make sense for them to spend the $50 to press/grade and capitalize on that potential by getting the grade themselves. By passing the risk on to the buyer that raises a red flag to me on how they think that gamble will pay off.

Just a shame that he made extremely grandiose claims about books that are clearly far from exceptional-looking and set himself up for a critical mauling and correction from many very knowledgable collectors and dealers.