• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sellers are now using projected grades?

289 posts in this topic

So, why would someone use both grading designations when selling raw books in a sales thread? I'm just curious what the mindset is.

I think I sort of answered this already. Didn't the 10 point scale come out before CGC? I can't remember. OSPG even uses it, and they published grading guides using it.

To me, they are interchangeable, and the numerical system isn't just about CGC items.

Actually used to be a 100 point scale back in the day. It was awful... :facepalm:

Is there a difference between a hundred point system and a 10 point one that uses decimals?

Is 85 out of 100 any different than 8.5 out of 10?

87 is different.

Here is the "real" truth to pricing

Price the books so that both collectors/dealers can make money over time.

Price the books so that only upgraders can buy the books.

Price the books so that only the collector can buy the book.

Guess who makes the most sales at the show in the long run.

I don't get it. :shrug:

Bob is a wise man indeed. (worship)

I understand he 'gets' Sucker Punch as well.

I understand he 'gets' Sucker Punch as well.

As long as he gets it away from me, we're good. :)

So, why would someone use both grading designations when selling raw books in a sales thread? I'm just curious what the mindset is.

I think I sort of answered this already. Didn't the 10 point scale come out before CGC? I can't remember. OSPG even uses it, and they published grading guides using it.

To me, they are interchangeable, and the numerical system isn't just about CGC items.

Actually used to be a 100 point scale back in the day. It was awful... :facepalm:

Is there a difference between a hundred point system and a 10 point one that uses decimals?

Is 85 out of 100 any different than 8.5 out of 10?

87 is different.

Until CGC posts exactly what an 8.5 is... then who knows if they are comparable or not (shrug)

Well, this thread certainly proves that grading comic books has turned philosophical. I am officially shutting my mind out of this and will meditate on the following musing:

If a 9.8 is left all alone in the forest, is it really a 9.8 if no one is around to see it?

Well, this thread certainly proves that grading comic books has turned philosophical. I am officially shutting my mind out of this and will meditate on the following musing:

If a 9.8 is left all alone in the forest, is it really a 9.8 if no one is around to see it?

You won't' have to worry about the asking price as well and we can close this thread. :banana:

This is up, but there's another thread about almost the same thing!!

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6808336&fpart=1

Ooh, that one is even better with a cleaver farming illustration!

Careful though, syntax will get you spammed in that thread! (tsk)

Cleaver? Who's got a cleaver?!? :ohnoez:

This is up, but there's another thread about almost the same thing!!

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6808336&fpart=1

Ooh, that one is even better with a cleaver farming illustration!

Careful though, syntax will get you spammed in that thread! (tsk)

Cleaver? Who's got a cleaver?!? :ohnoez:

Whoops!

:o

The dealers at shows who do the best are the ones who are selling to EVERYONE. Yes they leave some money on the table but guess who is running to the table the next show asking what is new. When everyone is walking away happy it is a win/win. I don't ask the guy to give it away, I just expect to be treated fairly. If they need something from me I work with them. What goes around comes around.

This.

Moondog follows that general outline. Every year dealers and collectors flock to his table at Chicago, every year he manages to find more for the next show. When I started setting up at cons five or six years ago, I did my best to emulate his model as I saw firsthand how successful it was. I haven't been dealing in earnest for all that long, but his method has worked really well so far.

The dealers at shows who do the best are the ones who are selling to EVERYONE. Yes they leave some money on the table but guess who is running to the table the next show asking what is new. When everyone is walking away happy it is a win/win. I don't ask the guy to give it away, I just expect to be treated fairly. If they need something from me I work with them. What goes around comes around.

This.

Moondog follows that general outline. Every year dealers and collectors flock to his table at Chicago, every year he manages to find more for the next show. When I started setting up at cons five or six years ago, I did my best to emulate his model as I saw firsthand how successful it was. I haven't been dealing in earnest for all that long, but his method has worked really well so far.

No doubt that if done properly it adds credibility and loyal customers to your business. I would love to connect with a few of these dealers and make multiple purchases from them. Everyone loves a deal!

However, it's not the few honest dealers out there, it's the 50 other dishonest ones at the same show that spoil the sport.

(shrug)

This.

No doubt that if done properly it adds credibility and loyal customers to your business. I would love to connect with a few of these dealers and make multiple purchases from them. Everyone loves a deal!

However, it's not the few honest dealers out there, it's the 50 other dishonest ones at the same show that spoil the sport.

(shrug)

Neither of those posters are talking about dishonesty.

I think anyone would want to buy regularly from people who leave money on the table.

Everyone prices books differently. As long as there is no dishonesty, there is no "right" way.

It's always going to depend on market factors, how much you are into the book for and who your target buyer is.

Charging more is not dishonest.

Beat me to it.