• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batman/Superman New 52 Official Thread

15 posts in this topic

I have to say, I think this is maybe the worst art I've seen on a book in a long time - not sure if it's the pencils or just the colors, but the characters seem to change in age and ethnicity from panel to panel. I don't know much of Jae Lee's other work, but I'm extremely disappointed so far - it's really pulling away from the story telling for me - and I was looking forward to this book for a LONG time

That's a bummer. Jae Lee is the guy that pops in my head when I'm asked about my favorite artist but I agree that his style just doesn't fit Superman. I loved his work on the Inhumans maxi series, The Sentry, Wolverine, Our Worlds at War, and too many more to mention. I always thought he would be great on a Daredevil run because his heavy use of blacks would fit the tone of Daredevil's night scenes.

So - taking this thread from the ashes - I decided to go back and pick this series up when it switched artists earlier this year.

I started at issue 16 (Ardian Syaf - from start of New 52 Batgirl is the artist). I am really enjoying these first couple issues (16 &17) since the switch.

Anyone else pick these up? The concept of "Superman's Joker" is very interesting, and the art is 1,000% better than the Jae Lee run

I haven't read the new stuff. I'd have to say Jae Lee is one of if not my favorite modern artist but he absolutely couldn't make the art work on this series. It was more distracting than helpful. I may try a trade of this because I love Batman/Superman stuff dating back to the old World's Finest comics.

I haven't read the new stuff. I'd have to say Jae Lee is one of if not my favorite modern artist but he absolutely couldn't make the art work on this series. It was more distracting than helpful. I may try a trade of this because I love Batman/Superman stuff dating back to the old World's Finest comics.

Yeah, I have respect for his style - but I agree completely that it didn't work. I really liked Syaf's work on the early Batgirl stuff and am a big Sup/Bat fan which is why I went back. So far, I've been really pleasantly surprised for the most part