• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best Avengers Arcs

52 posts in this topic

Lots of great choices mentioned. Let's not forget Bride Of Ultron collected as issues #157-166. This way you get Ultron AND Nefaria. And then leading right into KV Saga!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (worship)(worship)(worship) Avengers #140 -200 is unassailable in greatness.

Great run, but far too many missed deadlines/ reprints in the middle of it. for awhile, every other issue seemed to be a reprint or fill in story. Couldn't even get the 150th issue into issue 150.

Squadron Supreme, Return of Wonderman. Should have been an epic era, but far too many blown deadlines.

not moderns but I absolutely love the Avengers issues from 153-200ish

Great Perez art, followed by John Byrne and has the Atlantean war, Graviton battle, Count Nefaria, Korvac Saga, Absorbing man, Taskmaster...all great stuff!

Absolutely +1!!! My favorite run :headbang: The Count Nefaria battle ROCKED! After the last page of part 2, I immediately went into DT's knowing I had to wait for another month! :ohnoez:

Wonderman vs The Vision!! *

The Collector!!

GREAT stuff!

* Timmy vs Jimmy (South Park- I won't say the actual episode title (tsk) ) made me think of this fight, the way the

adult waited until the two kids practically killed each other before saying, "Alright you two, break it up." lol lol lol

Korvac Saga 167-175

:cloud9:

My introduction to The Avengers as a kid.

The John Byrne run. Can't remember the issue numbers. :preach:

But still my favorite ( #164–166, 181–191). Especially the Wundagore issues with Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch.

17559-2128-19635-1-avengers-the.jpg

17618-2128-19699-1-avengers-the.jpg

17689-2128-19774-1-avengers-the.jpg

not moderns but I absolutely love the Avengers issues from 153-200ish

Great Perez art, followed by John Byrne and has the Atlantean war, Graviton battle, Count Nefaria, Korvac Saga, Absorbing man, Taskmaster...all great stuff!

Absolutely +1!!! My favorite run :headbang: The Count Nefaria battle ROCKED! After the last page of part 2, I immediately went into DT's knowing I had to wait for another month! :ohnoez:

Wonderman vs The Vision!! *

The Collector!!

GREAT stuff!

Yeah, that period was the best in Avengers history IMHO and is the time that I always remember as THE Avengers. Probably my favourite comics ever produced. :cloud9:

I have a soft spot for the Avengers-Defenders crossover in the early 100's I need to reread those one of these days.

+1 three issues in Defenders, three issues in Avengers. Loki too. Avengers Defenders war or something like that.

I have a soft spot for the Avengers-Defenders crossover in the early 100's I need to reread those one of these days.

+1 three issues in Defenders, three issues in Avengers. Loki too. Avengers Defenders war or something like that.

+2

I loved them as a kid and have recently recollected them all. Dread Dormmamu and Loki team up and are looking for an artifact called the Evil Eye. The Defenders need it to restore the Black Knight who was turned to stone by the Enchantress. Some great battles in each issue of the crossover:

Defenders 8

Avengers 116 ( Surfer vs. Vision )

Defenders 9

Avengers 117

Defenders 10 ( legendary Hulk vs. Thor battle )

Avengers 118

I always liked

Avengers (Vol. 1) 314 to 318

Spiderman teams with Avengers and we get to see what Spiderman is capable of on a cosmic scale

"Those aren't the Byrne issues you're looking for..."

I did like that run, though. Things got pretty lame with the "Acts of Vengeance" crossovers right after that.

I always liked

Avengers (Vol. 1) 314 to 318

Spiderman teams with Avengers and we get to see what Spiderman is capable of on a cosmic scale

"Those aren't the Byrne issues you're looking for..."

I did like that run, though. Things got pretty lame with the "Acts of Vengeance" crossovers right after that.

Was it collected in a trade?

Obviously not an arc, but Avengers Annual 10 stands out as one of the greatest standalone issues ever. One of the best Avengers lineups, epic battle, killer Mike Golden art, 1st app Rogue, Ms Marvel drained of her powers, Spider-Woman appearance.

So much going on in this issue. It absolutely screams late Bronze goodness.

I entirely agree with Bosco and gaz.

if you have never read them, you should definitely pick up:

– Avengers #89-97 (the "Kree-Skrull war", should have a TPB)

– Avenger #181–191 (especially the Yesterday’s Quest);

But what is quintessentially awesome, and should always put together old and new Avengers fans forever:

– Avengers #270–277 ("Under Siege", has a TPB).

And I am not an Avengers big fan, but those are awesome.

I entirely agree with Bosco and gaz.

if you have never read them, you should definitely pick up:

– Avengers #89-97 (the "Kree-Skrull war", should have a TPB)

– Avenger #181–191 (especially the Yesterday’s Quest);

But what is quintessentially awesome, and should always put together old and new Avengers fans forever:

– Avengers #270–277 ("Under Siege", has a TPB).

And I am not an Avengers big fan, but those are awesome.

All that stuff is awesome, as well as the Perez issues.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned any of the Thomas / Buscema / Palmer run. For my money those are some of the best super hero comics ever done. 2c

I'm surprised no one has mentioned any of the Thomas / Buscema / Palmer run. For my money those are some of the best super hero comics ever done. 2c

I just didn’t because tech told he preferred more recent stories (not sure to which he was referencing to), but of course the initial Roy Thomas run is not merely top quality, it lays foundations. :)

I just didn’t because tech told he preferred more recent stories (not sure to which he was referencing to), but of course the initial Roy Thomas run is not merely top quality, it lays foundations. :)

Within Thomas' run, there are so many stories that deserve to be listed individually.