• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TMNT 1 (1984 - first print): future pricing and speculation

134 posts in this topic

Just a friendly discussion of this huge Copper key: TMNT #1 (1984 - First Print)...

With a new movie on the way and recent values steadily increasing, where do we think they will go?

CGC Census Data

388 CGC Universal

14 CGC Signature Series

29 CGC Restored

8 Qualified

Is this book on track to increase like Hulk 181 or New Mutants 98? (both of which are not rare in the slightest and have more books graded in the CGC census than TMNT 1 had in its ENTIRE first print run...)

:rulez:

FYI - no thread crapping please. All supported opinions are welcome. However; if you are ambivalent or only have a negative opinion based on no facts, please keep it to yourself. We don't care that you are an insufficiently_thoughtful_person.

GPA record high for 9.8 = $22,752 (Aug 2011)

Values increasing in grades across the boards.

Given the movie news, continual presence of a cartoon and consistent merchandising: my bet is that this book will continue to grow over time.

2013 prediction = +25% average value increase across all grades versus 2012 :banana:

I expect it will be the action 1 of that era for kids that grew up on turtles. As long as there are comic collectors from that era the price will continue to increase.

I expect it will be the action 1 of that era for kids that grew up on turtles. As long as there are comic collectors from that era the price will continue to increase.

I agree, it is a unique book. It is a solid combination of a low first print run and extremely popular title characters. Very few books printed after the 1970's (if any) offer the same investment opportunity.

13 graded copies on eBay right now and none under $1,999.00 (one un-graded copy is at $865 on auction with 8 days to go).

If you can get a 9.0 or better in this book I say buy it!

This is one of the few comic books to really invest in

short or long-term.

It`s still undervalued compared to most of the silver age keys.

TMNT is iconic now like Superman,Batman,Spider-man,Star Wars,Transformers and Iron Man.

You really can`t go wrong investing in this.

The skys the limit.

:cloud9:

I think the second print is a few years away from exploding. I'd say that in the not so far future, nice 1st prints will be impossible to get under $3,000 and those 2nd prints will get a lot more play.

Can't go wrong buying either.

2013 prediction = +25% average value increase across all grades versus 2012 :banana:

Last sale of 9.8 was $13,088

That one might be up 100% ($26K) in a short amount of time.

Last sale of 9.8 was $13,088

That one might be up 100% ($26K) in a short amount of time.

Yep, if memory serves the $22K book was even a falsely labeled 2nd print... I can't substantiate that, I read it somewhere on this forum. I do know there was a small scandal on this book for a time, particularly with PGX.

That being said, I am confident that CGC has any and all kinks worked out and regularly grades counterfeit books as such.

In any case, I can see the 9.8s going for closer to $50K in three years or less.

I just can't imagine ever paying $50K for a Copper Age book, even if it's a key like TMNT 1. I mean I can't imagine paying $50K for anything short of a Golden Age key.

Sure and I am positive people said the same thing about the $1 million mark on the Action 1 at some point.

Same thing can be said about bottles of coca-cola and penny candy. Maybe the three year mark is aggressive, but this comic represents the most popular new characters world-wide in +30 years.

Fortunately, your imagination is not required for it to happen. :idea:

FYI - many other books outside of the Golden Age keys, regularly sell for well over $50K...

I meant that I *personally* wouldn't spend that much. I'm not saying there aren't collectors out there who wouldn't; I'm sure there are. But I do think the $50000 projection within 3 years is a little unrealistic. The people who grew up with TMNT are in their 30s now and most don't have that kind of cash to drop on a 9.8. A few thousand on a lower grade? Sure thing.

I do love me some TMNT though. The action figures and cartoon from the 80s were the best. :cloud9: