• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TMNT 1 (1984 - first print): future pricing and speculation

134 posts in this topic

With Nickelodeon buying the rights to TMNT outright and their plans to escalate the franchise with new shows, toys, games, movies, etc.....we may just be seeing a new price tier emerge for all grades. It was bound to happen eventually and there are more folks getting turned onto the turtles as a consequence of that network's actions and direct marketing.

Some folks don't care or don't know about the qualified grades and their significance on pricing. Given the extraordinarily low print run for these first prints and their relative rarity, someone somewhere is going to pay big bucks for it regardless. That said I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole. Universal blue all the way baby (maybe a yellow)...but never a green!!!

As far as speculators smelling blood: hell yeah they do. They should because there's blood in the water on this title...has been for quite some time and there will be more blood as Nickelodeon gets their claws dug in deep. Heck there's a new Xbox Live game coming out with the Turtles in August....it looks killer and that's just one drop in the bucket between Legos and television shows and t-shirts and movies...etc....that they've got pumping to keep the Turtles rolling!

I got one word to say: COWABUNGA!!!!!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TEENAGE-MUTANT-NINJA-TURTLES-1-FIRST-PRINTING-VF-SIGNED-BY-EASTMAN-LAIRD-/130938529275?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item1e7c8b65fb anybody want to guess what this raw will go since the buyer should know CGC would give it a green label or a lower grade universal blue?

Some folks don't care or don't know about the qualified grades and their significance on pricing. Given the extraordinarily low print run for these first prints and their relative rarity, someone somewhere is going to pay big bucks for it regardless. That said I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole. Universal blue all the way baby (maybe a yellow)...but never a green!!!

Just to be clear. Those signatures are on the INSIDE of the book. If that book is submitted to CGC it will get a BLUE label. (thumbs u

You get a green label for unwitnessed signatures on the cover.

With Nickelodeon buying the rights to TMNT outright and their plans to escalate the franchise with new shows, toys, games, movies, etc.....we may just be seeing a new price tier emerge for all grades. It was bound to happen eventually and there are more folks getting turned onto the turtles as a consequence of that network's actions and direct marketing.

+1 on all points.

Plus, the rule of 25 is kicking in with all the original TMNT fans. (thumbs u

Seems like an awfully strong price for that grade, no?

Yep. I bought my blue label 7.5 for $1,000 two years ago. Glad I bought it when I did. (thumbs u

But TMNT #1 1st and 2nd prints have been rising in value for the past year and a half. Both books have seen a rise in demand.

Since the cover to the 2nd print is the same as the 1st print (except for the 1 dot) and CGC still puts "1st appearance of the Teenage......" on the label, a lot of fans are going for the 2nd print instead. Demand for both of these were strong before the movie announcement, and now speculators will be joining the hunt. 2c

For some reason I'm almost more intrigued by the prices on second prints. Raw copies tend to sell for A LOT cheaper than graded copies, which makes sense since I would be leery of buying raw copies of 1st or 2nd prints due to hidden color touch on the cover. Graded prices are all over the place, it seems. Depending on the day, one might score something in the 7.5 range for $250 or for $500. It's wackadoo.

14 CGC Signature Series

I'm surprised there are so few yellow labels, particularly with Eastman being so ubiquitous at conventions.

Universal blue all the way baby (maybe a yellow)...but never a green!!!

Key books that were signed before CGC existed are fantastic bargains in green labels.

First, you get CGC to verify that it's not a counterfeit.

Then, if it's a legit pre-CGC cover signature, it MUST get a green label.

Faking a signature only makes sense if you're going to get paid extra for the fake signature.

Green labels actually DROP the value of a book, so sellers are hurt by faking a signature.

The buyer, on the other hand, gets a slabbed legit book with a signature for LESS than the price of the legit book unsigned.

CGC doesn't say squat about whether the signature is legit...

And every legit signature before 2000 is going to get a green label.

No one is counterfeiting signatures on key issues to sell them for less.

Are you 100% sure that getting signed on the inside vs. the outside has any impact on the type of label you get? The reason a grade is 'qualified' is because it wasn't witnessed by the CGC. As far as being able to detect if it's not counterfeit: any capable artist could mimic a signature. You'd need to be a forensic expert with signatures to be able to determine beyond a shadow of a doubt that the signature is indeed real.

As far as I know anything signed (including on the inside) not in the presence of the CGC before or after it's formation garnishes a qualified grade.

There are a ton of modern comics that have been signed this way that always end up getting the green label. I haven't ever seen an exception.

Could someone demonstrate a "blue label" here in this thread that says "signed on the inside" by whomever? A yellow label that states "signed on the inside" would have to be witnessed by the CGC.

Cool, hadn't seen that. Disregard my earlier speculation as I've not seen that before. Apparently under some circumstances it's ok. :)

If that's the case however, how come they don't give it a yellow label?

I read thru that link. Eye opening on the subject, but there was concern about the signature on the interior counting as a "defect" towards the universal grade. Any commentary about that? Is that true, not true? What's the consensus. Obviously the books you've shown are a bit older and have other accumulated defects affecting the grade. How much does the internal signature figure into that grade or does it not at all?

I read thru that link. Eye opening on the subject, but there was concern about the signature on the interior counting as a "defect" towards the universal grade. Any commentary about that? Is that true, not true? What's the consensus. Obviously the books you've shown are a bit older and have other accumulated defects affecting the grade. How much does the internal signature figure into that grade or does it not at all?

I don't think it effects it at all. Unless of course the signature itself is too hard and damages the internal pages.

This came up in a previous discussion, and I saved the following image to illustrate my point.

This isn't my book, but it's a great example. Graders notes on the label say "1 name written on 2nd page & 2 names written on 3rd page in pen."

98BlueLabelSignatureExampleSigsinpenonsplashinpens_zps7b0f182b.jpg

If that's the case however, how come they don't give it a yellow label?

CGC only gives the yellow label to autographs a CGC-verified witness sees being signed. Doesn't matter if 1000 people watched Stan Lee sign the cover of a book and watched you walk it over to the CGC table at a con, it is going to get a green "Qualified" label.

-slym