• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TMNT 1 (1984 - first print): future pricing and speculation

134 posts in this topic

Hey guys. I am thinking of buying a copy of TMNT 1, and I am not really sure what to pay. I have GPA, but I guess I just want some opinions on price trends going on right now. I am planning on picking up a CGC 7.5 for $2000, and would like to hear what you guys think.

The 24 month graph on that grade demonstrates an upward trend. That info. coupled with the imminent release of a new TMNT movie and the huge franchise deal Nickelodeon cut for merchandising means big exposure and an insurgence of new fans to the scene. Expect $2000 to look like a fairly extreme deal within a relatively short period of time. If you can grab one at that price point I'd do so without hesitation.

Awesome. Thanks!

I personally don't believe TMNT will go up RIGHT now. Often, the whispers and rumors of a movie/new TV series makes a book sell for more than the movie itself. I think TMNT is 5-10 years out. The people interested in buying will be the younger generation who as of now don't all have $2000++++ to blow on a comic, regardless of how awesome or significant it is. I think price for this book will go down as the demand goes down over the next couple years. By 2016, I think this comic can hit highs of $50,000. Heck, by 2016, it might be worth $1,000,000! (with inflation, that is)

I personally don't believe TMNT will go up RIGHT now. Often, the whispers and rumors of a movie/new TV series makes a book sell for more than the movie itself. I think TMNT is 5-10 years out. The people interested in buying will be the younger generation who as of now don't all have $2000++++ to blow on a comic, regardless of how awesome or significant it is. I think price for this book will go down as the demand goes down over the next couple years. By 2016, I think this comic can hit highs of $50,000. Heck, by 2016, it might be worth $1,000,000! (with inflation, that is)

Sure, the young kids getting into TMNT don't have $2,000 laying around. You know who might? The dads taking them to the movies or watching the show on the couch with them and reminiscing about how they grew up on the original. It'll be something fathers and sons can share. Similar to Spider-Man, Batman, Baseball or Football. My 2c

I think TMNT #1 is already starting to spike up. It's been about 25 years since the TMNT cartoon debuted, and prices are rising right now.

I think it's obvious it's going to continue to rise over the next few years too, since we're hitting the time the kids who watched the cartoon and movie are approaching the disposable income age + a new movie franchise.

I bought my TMNT #1 two years ago for $1000. It's GPA value has already doubled.

You'd be surprised at how some kids would be able to raise funds for something they're very interested in. I'm still a teenager, but I really like TMNT and I figured it's not a bad place to park my money.

I understand there are some teens with money, but most of the teenage comic collectors I know are more interested in trades and graphic novels. However, amount the coppers, that will probably go up the most along with Albedo 2. I can't bone 1 going up astronomically, just as much as the value of money. At the end of the day it is far better to have money in a comic, silver, or gold than to have cash in my opinion. A $2000 investment multiplying into $10,000 is better than $2000 worth of paper buying a soda in a decade/century/millenium. Just a thought...