• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Humidity at the CGC Offices

95 posts in this topic

I have seen this on a few books I get in, and have seen it on poorly pressed books. Since you did not have them pressed it may be a result of uneven pressure from the inner well. I would think a book subjected to high humidity would show waves evenly, not just on one end. I live in Central Florida and a book left out for a day or two swells and plumps evenly, not just one edge.

How close is the seal on the top edge of the inner well to the top edge of the comic? From the scans it looks pretty close. My experiences with this is the book will still lay flat once it is cut out of the inner well. I would try that with the worst book you have and see what happens. If it is still wavy then it is not the well and other avenues would need to be explored.

Additionally, I have been to CGC's Facilities and they are state of the art. Even the lobby is climate controlled and comfortable.

I've seen this before too. I don't think it's caused by humidity either. I kind of wonder if it could be a static issue within the well where part of the edge of the cover is clinging to the well itself causing that effect. (shrug)

I have seen this on a few books I get in, and have seen it on poorly pressed books. Since you did not have them pressed it may be a result of uneven pressure from the inner well. I would think a book subjected to high humidity would show waves evenly, not just on one end. I live in Central Florida and a book left out for a day or two swells and plumps evenly, not just one edge.

How close is the seal on the top edge of the inner well to the top edge of the comic? From the scans it looks pretty close. My experiences with this is the book will still lay flat once it is cut out of the inner well. I would try that with the worst book you have and see what happens. If it is still wavy then it is not the well and other avenues would need to be explored.

Additionally, I have been to CGC's Facilities and they are state of the art. Even the lobby is climate controlled and comfortable.

I've seen this before too. I don't think it's caused by humidity either. I kind of wonder if it could be a static issue within the well where part of the edge of the cover is clinging to the well itself causing that effect. (shrug)

+1

I live in South Florida and have had raws for 20 years laying perfectly flat but a few that we're slabbed came back with this effect. I always just assumed it was some sort if static inside the well pulling up the cover slightly

Move CGC HQ to Canada where it's cold most of the time and the problem will be solved :acclaim:

But then may appear the freezing problem.. hm

Colorado would be the better choice.

6,500-14,200 feet above sea level, so little humidity.

Move CGC HQ to Canada where it's cold most of the time and the problem will be solved :acclaim:

Why not Alaska then ?

Talkeetna near Denali would be an excellent location :whee:

Why not Alaska then ?

I was stationed at Fairbanks, Alaska for a year.

Stick to Colorado.

:whee:

Just wanted to point out a few things:

- All the books pictured are (appear to me to be) in old-style inner wells. Here the book is not squished, the wells have depth and it may not exactly conform to the book. They use the "holddown" inserts to make sure the book does not slide around in some cases.

- Sarasota, and the entire central west coast of Florida, is known for not being overly humid. I have family living in this area and it is generally not very humid relative to the east coast of Florida. Relative to Arizona it's quite humid. I can't vouch for the area the books travel though.

- I cannot explain the effect you are seeing, but I do not think it is humidity. If you are concerned I'm sure CGC will take them back, crack them out and have a look for you.

Why not Alaska then ?

Stick to Colorado.

You never tried to climb Denali, isn't it? :baiting:

From Wikipedia: "The mountain is characterized by extremely cold weather. Temperatures as low as −75.5 °F (−59.7 °C) and windchills as low as −118.1 °F (−83.4 °C) have been recorded by an automated weather station located at 18,733 feet (5,700 m)."

Why not Alaska then ?

Stick to Colorado.

Colorado would actually be ideal climate wise. Anyone hear of the Mile High Collection??

Mystie, that was when Chuck Rozanski got so high he stumbled on a collection of old comics, got the owner high via contact-buzz, and bought them all for a song. A Grateful Dead song, no less.

:grin:

-slym

Mystie, that was when Chuck Rozanski got so high he stumbled on a collection of old comics, got the owner high via contact-buzz, and bought them all for a song. A Grateful Dead song, no less.

:grin: Oh yeah, I remember now.

-slym

:grin:

-slym

Dontcha let that deal go down...