• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bigger SA Key: BB 28 or SC 22?

Bigger SA key: BB 28 or SC 22?  

258 members have voted

1. 1. Bigger SA key: BB 28 or SC 22?

132 posts in this topic

I bet the results of this would have been different 18 months ago.......

I prefer SC #22 for the 1st apperance TOS #39/JIM #83/Hulk #1/TTA #27 vs. first team-up Avengers argument.

However, since FF #1 is a B&B #28 knock off that makes it more significant than Avengers #1.

Who cares? They're both DC dreck. :boo:

Then go whack off to your Mary Jane pin-ups instead of posting in this thread (shrug)

Fine. SC 22 'cause its the 1st appearance of a major character, whereas B&B 28 isn't and is currently fueled by movie hype.

Then go whack off to your Mary Jane pin-ups instead of posting in this thread (shrug)

lol Easy there, fella. No need to get your panties in a bunch.

However, since FF #1 is a B&B #28 knock off that makes it more significant than Avengers #1.

I was under the impression that the FF was more of an evolution from the CHALLS (Kirby connection and all that)? (shrug)

Fine. SC 22 'cause its the 1st appearance of a major character, whereas B&B 28 isn't and is currently fueled by movie hype.

And SC 22 wasn't?!?!

I think concensus believes that BB 28 was undervalued for many many years wereas SC 22 wasn't...you cannot fault the market for correcting itself. Even if it is in a very narrow window.

And SC 22 wasn't?!?!

I think concensus believes that BB 28 was undervalued for many many years wereas SC 22 wasn't...you cannot fault the market for correcting itself. Even if it is in a very narrow window.

I agree that SC22 is more "key," but I don't agree that the only thing going for BB28 is movie hype. The book started gaining ground before the movie announcement and we are still years from seeing it in theaters.

Did Avengers 1 only grow in value when the movie was announced?

SC 22 has always outperformed BB28 again you have to look back to the significance.

Census numbers are almost identical, and given the potential for a JLA movie I would wager the B&B numbers will go up more than the SC 22.

Hal Jordan redefined Green Lantern.

JLA just brought together a bunch of kick super heroes.

What is the bigger key Showcase 4 or B&B28? Why?

SC22 might still out perform BB28. If the lantern has a huge role in the movie. He is revamped and everyone loves him. I think it's possible for it to be more expensive than BB28. As in the past it always has. Just wait till the trailer hits. Or who is going to play GL and what he looks like.

I was under the impression that the FF was more of an evolution from the CHALLS (Kirby connection and all that)? (shrug)

It was a couple of years ago and in another thread, but some other boardies mentioned that there was an interview with Lee where hs said that B&B #28 gave him the green light for a superhero team at Marvel. The rest is history.........

It was a couple of years ago and in another thread, but some other boardies mentioned that there was an interview with Lee where hs said that B&B #28 gave him the green light for a superhero team at Marvel. The rest is history.........

What I recall hearing Stan say in an interview is that his publisher, Martin Goodman, had learned that DC had very good sales with its recently-created JLA. Marvel's monster, western and romance lines were starting to stall, and Stan was on the verge of getting out of the comic biz. It was Goodman that asked Stan to come up with something that can respond to JLA. With that mandate, he created FF.

FF of course has purely original characters (although you could argue that Johnny Storm was the first SA appearance of the Human Torch). But BB28 gave life to the Marvel Age of Comics, and the JLA under any measure should be viewed as a greater key than Avengers #1.

What I recall hearing Stan say in an interview is that his publisher, Martin Goodman, had learned that DC had very good sales with its recently-created JLA. Marvel's monster, western and romance lines were starting to stall, and Stan was on the verge of getting out of the comic biz. It was Goodman that asked Stan to come up with something that can respond to JLA. With that mandate, he created FF.

FF of course has purely original characters (although you could argue that Johnny Storm was the first SA appearance of the Human Torch). But BB28 gave life to the Marvel Age of Comics, and the JLA under any measure should be viewed as a greater key than Avengers #1.

Wouldn't Mr. Fantastic = Plastic Man?

And The Thing = The Heap/Solomon Grundy, and Invisible Girl = Invisible Scarlet O'Neill.

There's nothing new under the sun.

The only thing to add to the story is that this is why the cover says "together for the first time in one mighty magazine" Much as Brave and the Bold #28 put together established characters in a team.

Listen, I understand nostalgia and all that. And I get "investing" in comics even though I have zero interest in such pursuits.

But are there really people who like silver age DC super-hero books for artistic reasons?

I mean, come on now, they are terrible.

You've got Infantino and Kane and that's about it.

The stories are just god awful. As much as I love those two artists, I can't read a single issue of their runs on the Flash and Green Lantern, respectively, without feeling ill.

On a different note, I'm also not sure why people equate characters who have similar powers. Mr. Fantastic and Plastic Man, for example, are completely unalike. Reed Richards is not defined by his ability to stretch--he's the smartest man in the world. Plas is a former criminal. And comparing the Thing to the Heap makes even less sense.

Listen, I understand nostalgia and all that. And I get "investing" in comics even though I have zero interest in such pursuits.

But are there really people who like silver age DC super-hero books for artistic reasons?

The stories are just god awful. As much as I love those two artists, I can't read a single issue of their runs on the Flash and Green Lantern, respectively, without feeling ill.

On a different note, I'm also not sure why people equate characters who have similar powers. Mr. Fantastic and Plastic Man, for example, are completely unalike. Reed Richards is not defined by his ability to stretch--he's the smartest man in the world. Plas is a former criminal. And comparing the Thing to the Heap makes even less sense.

I personally like Silver DC art - love the BB28 cover!

I also collect Silver because that is when the versions of the characters I love were created. Not all of my favorite stories are in SA, but my GL is Hal Jordan and my Flash is Barry Allen (and so on).

Where/how they started as heroes is important to me.

Curt Swan is one of my all-time favorite artists.