• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TTA 35 vs TTA 27

295 posts in this topic

Explain the difference....I sure as heck don't know what "retcon" means...

This one first since it's easy. A retcon (short for retroactive continuity) is when you change the past in a continuity to make it work with the present. For instance someone could take a character who is say... A mad scientist who is not at all heroic and decide to make him heroic and give him a costume to make him a superhero.

This thread is somewhat the same debate I saw in another one about Strange Adventures#180 (1st Animal Man, but not in costume, therefore, 1st Buddy Baker ?!?) versus Strange Adventures#190 (1st Animal Man in costume). The cover to #180 reads "The Man with Animal Powers". IMHO, the intent and context of the issue is the introduction of the Animal Man character, regardless if he's in a costume or not. Buddy Baker already has powers, so it doesn't take him until issue #190 to be The Animal Man.

Established key difference is that Hank went on to be multiple characters, Bernhard didn't thus he is more conclusive as one and the same. Only if Hank was just Ant-Man could that be used as a fair example.

How many of Pym's alter egos shrink and hang around with ants?

Also, who the hell is Bernhard?

As for the rest of you, a few people need to learn the difference between a retcon and evolution of a character.

And this is where I disagree. Are you implying that "The man in the anthill" was planned as a superhero story? If not then what you are looking at here is a classic example of a retcon.

Retroactive continuity implies there is already an existing continuity to be altered.

The publication of TTA 35 was THE continuity for Hank Pym/Ant-Man, and as far as the Marvel Superhero Universe was concerned at the time, it was barely formed, with no interaction yet between the existing series other than Johnny Storm reading a Hulk comic in FF #5. I'm not certain the Hulk was initially thought of as a "superhero" comic, as it certainly had more in common with the "monster comics" of the day.

For sure, "The Man in the Anthill" wasn't initially conceived as a continuing series, let alone a superhero one, and while that makes the genesis of the character unusual, it's not as if Stan Lee retroactively decided that the Hank Pym of TTA 27 was a superhero, he expanded his story to become one in TTA35.

"The Man in the Anthill" is not a superhero story, but it is the origin of Ant-Man.

No, I'm saying that the character evolved, much like most characters do in their first handful of appearances as the creators struggle to define the character. The most significant change in a short amount of time that most characters go through happens early.

I'll admit I haven't read either TTA Ant Man story, but exactly how much character development happens in those few pages? I'm not saying Pym was created specifically to be a superhero, but that it was an easy evolution. Scientist becomes superhero is what Marvel is all about!

So did someone here buy the TTA 35 Fine- restored from Jim Payette? I was eyeing that book for the last week and I waited too long to pull the trigger.

This is becoming my favorite thread. Torts, hockey and TTA. I love it. :)

Let's keep it rolling..... If TTA 27 is the origin of AntMan, then that means it is also his first appearance.

That might explain why it still sells for about 6X what 35 does, even with all the detractors here.

This thread needs to be re-titled and called:

"Beating a dead horse"

35 is the major key followed by the second key, 36.

agreed :D

:baiting:

yeah the FORTY-THREE years of overstreet misinformation and resulting sales histories has nothing to do with it meh

I will agree that Overstreet descriptions have greatly influenced prices and perceptions over the years, and the descriptions are inconsistent in many ways (although they have fixed a few over time).

But this is one of the ones they got right. :baiting:

yeah the FORTY-THREE years of overstreet misinformation and resulting sales histories has nothing to do with it meh

I will agree that Overstreet descriptions have greatly influenced prices and perceptions over the years, and the descriptions are inconsistent in many ways (although they have fixed a few over time).

But this is one of the ones they got right. :baiting:

...for now.... :baiting: