• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TTA 35 vs TTA 27

295 posts in this topic

Okay, well, here's a mental exercise for you then. Explain to me who Ant-Man is without referencing Hank Pym, his origin or his powers.

Here's a better exercise....go ask 10,000 people at the mall this weekend who this is. Only the ones in the black t-shirts and pony tails will tell you "Tony Stark".

iron-man-600x337.jpg

Ant man is a costumed superhero who is able to shrink down up to a subatomic size and can communicate with ants using a cybernetic helmet and is a founding member of the avengers. THAT is ant man as for Pym....

Henry "Hank" Pym is a scientist who over the years has adopted many costumed personas including ant man, yellow jacket, Goliath.

There, I explained the TWO characters separately

This argument reminds me of that Star Trek episode where Kirk is split into two opposite Kirks by a transporter malfunction. We've split Ant Man from Hank Pym- they are 2 separate beings. My hat's off for the attempts to make 35 a more marketable book when the movie comes out.

Except for the shrinking powers and the part about the ants, sure.

Look man, no matter how many times you try to claim that Hank Pym in TTA #27 and Ant-Man in TTA #35 are two different characters, it still isn't true by the simple fact that it ISN"T TRUE.

picard.jpg

This argument reminds me of that Star Trek episode where Kirk is split into two opposite Kirks by a transporter malfunction. We've split Ant Man from Hank Pym- they are 2 separate beings. My hat's off for the attempts to make 35 a more marketable book when the movie comes out.

Why is Action 1 notable and valuable ? Because its the first appearance of Clark Kent? meh

Look man, no matter how many times you try to claim that Hank Pym in TTA #27 and Ant-Man in TTA #35 are two different characters, it still isn't true by the simple fact that it ISN"T TRUE.

Nope, they're two different people...just with the same name. How many John Smith's are there out there. Yep, just as many Henry Pyms... :baiting:

Why is Action 1 worth a lot of money? Because its the first appearance of Clark Kent? meh

lol yep. They like his horn-rimmed glasses and briefcase...

^ Its actually getting to be kind of fun to wind him up ;)

As BB gun said, Pym as a hero was an afterthought. Or, as I stated it, a retcon.

As others have said, first pym = 27, first antman = 35. Not sure why we have to keep going around in circles but I guess I'm as guilty as anybody.

Does the name and costume make the man?

ST114_Cap.JPG

I don't know why the 27ers keep trying to make this about the laundry when there is so much more than that to it, as has been discussed at length.

The laundry is not important in this case. Laundry or no laundry he is not a hero is 27.

That being said, laundry matters more than you think. I like hockey, I cheer for the Canucks. I'm sure you have a favorite team. I know everything about the players on the hometown team. Before they come here, or after they leave, I know very little about them (in some cases - I'm talking about the lower end players especially).

The billions of dollars that professional sports generate every year are completely based on fans blindly cheering for laundry. So don't kid yourself - it does matter. Lebron's on your team? Love him. On another team? Hate him. Fans often switch loyalties on a dime just due to the laundry the player wears.

It just doesn't matter in this case however because laundry or no laundry he doesn't become a superhero til 35.

ding ding ding.

The 27ers are a angry bunch, wot?

I'm not angry, exactly. It's just that, after being on these forums for over a year and passing the 1000 post mark, I decided it was finally time to embrace the spirit of these forums by getting involved in an obtuse, protracted argument about something so incredibly stupid that any rational person would view all the participants as complete nutjobs. And based on how this thread has progressed, I think I made a pretty wise choice.

While I understand the point you are making about the character's development, I don't agree with it. I think that gets extremely subjective. I mean, I could argue that Wolverine wasn't really a hero until he developed a defined moral code in Wolverine LS #1, and prior to that he was just a costumed thug killing people. That doesn't mean Hulk #180 and #181 aren't his first appearance.

Or to use your hockey metaphor, yes, I do have a favorite team I root for.

chara-stanley-cup.jpg

But while Chara's free agent contract in 2006 is his first appearance as a Bruin, that doesn't mean he wasn't a hockey player before that. It just means I don't care about Ottawa.

It's the same with TTA #27 and #35. Nobody has to care that Hank Pym first appeared in #27 and that the character, his powers and his origin are all in that issue and pre-date #35. But to pretend that just because you don't care about it means it didn't actually happen seems a bit crazy to me.

I used hero to refer to ant man but anti hero, vigilante and villain situations would also apply to other characters such as wolvie.

Anyways lets just agree to disagree.

As far as chara and ant mans origin, sure he was a hockey player before Boston. But he didn't have a rookie year until after he became a hockey player.

Why is Action 1 notable and valuable ? Because its the first appearance of Clark Kent? meh

The Spectre doesn't appear in costume until More Fun 53.

Neat fact, I didn't know that, but its a two part story and he's the same guy in 52 as 53 no?

Also, didn't he technically appear in one panel in costume in #51?