• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MAN OF STEEL does over 500 million box office!

61 posts in this topic

Not bad. Hopefully they can develop the characters more in the MOS sequel, get a good Wonder Woman movie out, and then launch JLA to bring to the big three (with GL and Flash/Cyborg) together.

I think $50 million to $80 millions from Brazil and Japan are to come in the next few weeks as both markets have yet to launch the movie so $700 million might be the final tally in 2 months.

p.s. before anyone jumped in with the "...not make money...because marketing cost...."

the bottom line is the marketing is not anywhere near what most people think it is because the large chunk is paid my product placements and sponsors. It is common for many big movies to negotiate large deals with consumer goods in return for adverstisement funding. For examples, Heineken would pay big $$$$$$$ to have James Bond hold a beer in a 10 seconds scene. I read that something crazy like $70 million of the Skyfall marketing budget was paid NOT BY THE STUDIO. Walmart paid a big chunk for the marketing in the first week of marketing of MOS.

Paperheart was right in predicting it would do over 500 million!

586 million and counting!

:acclaim: but that was a real lowball, my true estimate was $750mm which it doesn't look like it will reach.

That's not completely accurate. The reassessment the previous week was the box office target is $600 MM to $750 MM, but they were assuming the lower number. WB seems to be betting lower on this movie to be safe, which why they went with a lower opening domestic weekend number initially ($70 MM) before sales started rolling in.

Add to this the $170 MM promotion revenue, and MOS seems to be cooking quite nicely in a sweet renenue stew.

Let me know when it hits a billion.

Most well known superhero worldwide needs to make close to a billion. If Marvel can take a unknown like Iron Man and make the character a worldwide billion dollar franchise, a billion for the most well known hero ever should be simple, right...

I don't think it will hit $750 million. $650 million is realistic. Bottom line is that it's a successful reboot, and WB will make improvements for the sequel.

most successful reboot ever apparently, don't know if that's just superhero movie or not...i'd guess not

Of the thousands of movies ever released, there are 16 that have grossed a billion $ in tickets worldwide. Maybe you can double that number with inflation.

The only other superhero flicks you can add in other than the ones you mentioned were batman flicks. Some of the spiderman flicks come in with inflation.

Most well known superhero worldwide needs to make close to a billion. If Marvel can take a unknown like Iron Man and make the character a worldwide billion dollar franchise, a billion for the most well known hero ever should be simple, right...

and DKR will do $400mm, right? you're knowledge on this topic is non-existent

Iron Man only surpassed that after Avengers, Man of Steel doesn't need a billion to be successful

Some parts of the world see Superman as a symbol of America and American Imperialism. [citation needed]

Of the thousands of movies ever released, there are 16 that have grossed a billion $ in tickets worldwide. Maybe you can double that number with inflation.

The only other superhero flicks you can add in other than the ones you mentioned were batman flicks. Some of the spiderman flicks come in with inflation.

Which is why it would have been nice all those years ago if someone kept up with "tickets sold." It doesn't sound as impressive as the years go by, but it would have made a fair comparison in the long run. I know, life isn't fair and certainly neither is Hollywood.

there is a website out there which I can't remember or find at the moment that kept data on how many tickets were sold for just about every movies so that is a better comparison in many ways...If i can find it, I will post the link here.

I am aware of boxofficemojo but it deals more with actual revenues and then use inflation adjustments to compare...not bad but not the same as actually tickets sold at the gate....unless I am way off on what boxofficemojo tabulates.

I am aware of boxofficemojo but it deals more with actual revenues and then use inflation adjustments to compare...not bad but not the same as actually tickets sold at the gate....unless I am way off on what boxofficemojo tabulates.

did you click the link? it has estimated ticket sales

estimated ticket sales are good to know but the numbers of ticket are more important in my opinion.

there is a huge difference. Gross ticket revenue is inflated these days with 3D, Imax, and of course the crazy $10 or higher ticket price in many big markets.

The actual number of tickets sold regardless of the prices are more indicative of how many people went to see a movie.

found the site.

http://www.the-numbers.com/market/2013/summary

p.s. I didn't realize boxofficejomo had the estimated tickets numbers either...so now it will be interesting to compare the data on both sites.

estimated ticket sales are good to know but the numbers of ticket are more important in my opinion.

there is a huge difference. Gross ticket revenue is inflated these days with 3D, Imax, and of course the crazy $10 or higher ticket price in many big markets.

The actual number of tickets sold regardless of the prices are more indicative of how many people went to see a movie.

found the site.

http://www.the-numbers.com/market/2013/summary

p.s. I didn't realize boxofficejomo had the estimated tickets numbers either...so now it will be interesting to compare the data on both sites.

i dont think they have the data from films from the 40's and such