• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just wanted to say that I got my third favorite artist, now I can ..

27 posts in this topic

.. start collecting favorite writers.

First I fell in love with Alex Maleev´s art ( www.jenseickhoff.com/maleev ), then I saw the art of John Van Fleet (who even responded very nicely to my two emails - www.johnvanfleet.com) and now I found another artist who does absolutely awesome work in my opinion, namely Phil Noto.

( www.notoart.com )

Jens, Have you ever seen Bill Sienkewicz's artwork????

Hammer, you beat me to the punch...all of Jens' faves seem to be heavily influenced by Sienkiewicz's style.

Just bought a nice Sienkiewicz splash page myself (shown below, from Ultimate Marvel Team-Up #6)...hey Jens, Maleev, et. al. may be nice, but Sienkiewicz is still the master!

99839-Sienkiewicz%20Ult%20MTU.jpg

Gene, there was a piece of artwork by Sienkewicz that I saw on a web site a few years ago. May even have been Ebay. It was Superman artwork. It was from a compilation put out by DC featuring a tribute, 20 or so different pages of art work by various artisits, depicting Superman. Sienkewicz was one of the contributors. His was a rendition of what an observor might "see" if the observor were hanging onto Superman's ankle as Superman is flying, probably at close to light speed, through space. It was an INCREDIBLE art piece. Extremely cinematic/photographic in it's approach and entirely unique in it's interpretation. A true masterpiece. Have you ever seen it?

Extremely cinematic/photographic in it's approach and entirely unique in it's interpretation. A true masterpiece. Have you ever seen it?

Unfortunately, I have never seen it. Anyone reading this happen to have a scan of or link to it?

Gene

Congrats on the Sienkewicz splash, it's a beauty! I had actually been eyeing that page for the last few months on his reps site but couldn't quite pull the trigger on it. Kept hoping he would have a really big sale on the site.

Thanks...I hope we see that really big sale too! His rep has several pieces that I would love to own at about 20-25% lower prices (not that I think the prices aren't fair, just that a sale would spur me into buying more!)

Gene

Thank you hammer and delekkerste. Real nice of you that you give me some hints. Ill surely check out Sienkewicz!

Is he an old guy? In his 60´s or so? Maybe it is because I am just 25 that every generation chooses its own heroes. So maybe Maleev is my hero while Sienkewicz was yours.

The piece of art is wonderful, delekkerste. The link I knew about, it is even on my small fansite.

Will go learn about Sienkewicz now...

Maybe Phil Noto´s style is a bit different than the noire style of Sienkewicz, Maleev and van Fleet.

This pic from Phil Noto I love (I also like Kaare Andrews, he doesn´t fit with the other 3 as well I think):

elektra.jpg

Yep, Bill Sienkiewicz. Always been one of my faves. Check out his run on the New Mutants and The Elektra: Assassin series. Still unreal to look at even today.

Gene, that's an amazing piece of art - where did you get it?

I got it from Mitch Itkowitz at Graphic Collectibles - I believe he is Sienkiewicz's rep. He runs a small ad in every CBG, which is where I found out about him.

Gene

Is he an old guy? In his 60´s or so? Maybe it is because I am just 25 that every generation chooses its own heroes. So maybe Maleev is my hero while Sienkewicz was yours.

Not sure how old he is...he's been around since at least the late 1970s, though. He is perhaps best known for his work on Moon Knight (there have been some decent interior pages of his on eBay recently), Elektra: Assassin, and the New Mutants (starting with #18)...more recently, he did some of the best work I've ever seen from him (or any artist, for that matter) in Ultimate Marvel Team-Up #6-8. Anybody who doesn't have these issues needs to buy them immediately - I bet you can get them for close to cover price...you won't be disappointed.

Gene

www.mothcomix.com

where i bought this:

TheAnkh-02p43-B.jpg

also has some Sienkiewicz pieces, buuuut I gotta say that I like Maleev better because he is tight and gritty while Sienkiewicz is "loose" and gritty (he has better pieces and worse of course).I will try and get those team-ups though. Looks like many artists have their up- and their downtimes...and things that might have been in fashion in the seventies might not be as "cool" today, while things of today will be uncool tomorrow...