• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay "Make Offer" question

65 posts in this topic

We should all just be okay with sometimes insulting people and sometimes being insulted. I also think sellers who complain about lowballers should stop. When you advertise OBO, anonymously to the entire planet, it can happen so just deal with it.
^^

Within reason. There was a time that I was offering a piece of art and someone made an offer of 1/10th of what I had it listed at. I politely declined and then all of a sudden the messages started coming in how I must have been an "Obama lover" and that he could easily buy it elsewhere for less and that he would unless I accepted his offer. I was just reminded about this by this thread. I saved him emails and messages in a folder in case he got nuttier. Ahh memories...

That was surreal

I even wrote about that experience on the boards.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=249617&Number=5471299#Post5471299

We should all just be okay with sometimes insulting people and sometimes being insulted. I also think sellers who complain about lowballers should stop. When you advertise OBO, anonymously to the entire planet, it can happen so just deal with it.
^^

Within reason. There was a time that I was offering a piece of art and someone made an offer of 1/10th of what I had it listed at. I politely declined and then all of a sudden the messages started coming in how I must have been an "Obama lover" and that he could easily buy it elsewhere for less and that he would unless I accepted his offer. I was just reminded about this by this thread. I saved him emails and messages in a folder in case he got nuttier. Ahh memories...

That was surreal

I even wrote about that experience on the boards.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=249617&Number=5471299#Post5471299

I sympathize with you having to deal with a crazy person. But that is quite apart from the initial offer. Most sellers' complaints about lowball offers are about the offer itself and nothing more.

Is "lowball" really synonymous with "insulting"?

I guess I never see an offer as insulting if its offered properly, and usually if an offer is insulting its the surrounding content thats insulting, not the offer itself.

but then again I dont read into an offer beyond the amount offered.

If I make an offer below the ask, I typically give the seller a reasonable out a'la "I understand if you have more in the book than that, or want to realize a higher price than my offer, no harm"

what about a low offer is insulting?

[really asking, I want to know!]

I'd have no trouble offering 50% of a buyers BIN. I wouldn't expect him to take it, but he is free to make a counter offer.

I made a well known dealer an offer of $350 for a book he was asking $700. I was prepared to go around $500. He counter-offered with $699. I offered $375, he came back with $698. I asked him if his plan was to go down a dollar each time I went up and he answered yes. I told him to ignore the next 195 offers but to accept my 196th. Never heard from him again.

I'd have no trouble offering 50% of a buyers BIN. I wouldn't expect him to take it, but he is free to make a counter offer.

I made a well known dealer an offer of $350 for a book he was asking $700. I was prepared to go around $500. He counter-offered with $699. I offered $375, he came back with $698. I asked him if his plan was to go down a dollar each time I went up and he answered yes. I told him to ignore the next 195 offers but to accept my 196th. Never heard from him again.

lol I had a similar experience to this!!!

Another time, I offered a seller like $10 less than his asking price on a lower priced modern. He declined w/o a counter. I then emailed him and offered to buy the book off of ebay for his asking price minus the 10% for ebay fees and he blocked me. And then he lowered the price 10% off on his auction! :screwy:

I must be "the lowballer from hell"

it don't matter to me what FMV is, or what GPA says it sold for 8 years ago or yesterday. the only matters involved is feedback(for ebay) and how much im willing to pay for the book.

Most of what I buy has never been listed on GPA anyway. Im holding out for a Harbinger 1 for 200 or less and it will get there, done dropped 500 bucks inside a year.

I think of how much trouble its gonna be for me to get a pristine copy of that book how much its gonna cost me raw, and get it graded a 9.8.

ive bid 20 percent of the asking price and been accepted, and also bid 95 percent on some and been rejected.

a book is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. not a penny more not a penny less.

I must be "the lowballer from hell"

it don't matter to me what FMV is, or what GPA says it sold for 8 years ago or yesterday. the only matters involved is feedback(for ebay) and how much im willing to pay for the book.

Most of what I buy has never been listed on GPA anyway. Im holding out for a Harbinger 1 for 200 or less and it will get there, done dropped 500 bucks inside a year.

I think of how much trouble its gonna be for me to get a pristine copy of that book how much its gonna cost me raw, and get it graded a 9.8.

ive bid 20 percent of the asking price and been accepted, and also bid 95 percent on some and been rejected.

a book is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. not a penny more not a penny less.

You know that I am taking that Harbinger #1 9.8 once it hits $250 right?

Received my Solar 1 9.8 today actually.