• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay "Make Offer" question

65 posts in this topic

Give him an offer of what you think it's worth. When I list an OBO I put auto decline on lowballs but I send them out from time to time. I think $250 on a $300 listing is a good offer. I've offered something crazy like $60 on something that was listed at around $450 before. But it was something that he must have thought was sold out, wasn't, was available for preorder at $60 (which I assume is what he paid), was opened, and was available brand new for $120. So I offered $60. His counter offer was like $380. Of course I didn't accept.

I must be "the lowballer from hell"

it don't matter to me what FMV is, or what GPA says it sold for 8 years ago or yesterday. the only matters involved is feedback(for ebay) and how much im willing to pay for the book.

Most of what I buy has never been listed on GPA anyway. Im holding out for a Harbinger 1 for 200 or less and it will get there, done dropped 500 bucks inside a year.

I think of how much trouble its gonna be for me to get a pristine copy of that book how much its gonna cost me raw, and get it graded a 9.8.

ive bid 20 percent of the asking price and been accepted, and also bid 95 percent on some and been rejected.

a book is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. not a penny more not a penny less.

You know that I am taking that Harbinger #1 9.8 once it hits $250 right?

Received my Solar 1 9.8 today actually.

I hope to get a Solar 10 & Harbinger 1 both in 9.8 white pretty soon. They aren't going for what they used too.

it don't matter to me what FMV is, or what GPA says it sold for 8 years ago or yesterday. the only matters involved is feedback(for ebay) and how much im willing to pay for the book.

Most of what I buy has never been listed on GPA anyway. Im holding out for a Harbinger 1 for 200 or less and it will get there, done dropped 500 bucks inside a year.

I think of how much trouble its gonna be for me to get a pristine copy of that book how much its gonna cost me raw, and get it graded a 9.8.

ive bid 20 percent of the asking price and been accepted, and also bid 95 percent on some and been rejected.

a book is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. not a penny more not a penny less.

I hope to get a Solar 10 & Harbinger 1 both in 9.8 white pretty soon. They aren't going for what they used too.

I was the underbidder on the Clink auction last month for the 9.8 Solar 10... There seems to be a list of people trying to get that book nowadays.

Last year I did not want to pay the price for the 9.8 and settled for the 9.6. However...

I do think though that there are about to be a lot more books that are graded and available with the new EW title coming out soon.

it don't matter to me what FMV is.

done dropped 500 bucks inside a year.

hillbilly19.jpg

Hey DB, that's a great picture, but you should have held the beer up so we could all have seen what you drink.

I was the underbidder on the Clink auction last month for the 9.8 Solar 10... There seems to be a list of people trying to get that book nowadays.

Last year I did not want to pay the price for the 9.8 and settled for the 9.6. However...

I do think though that there are about to be a lot more books that are graded and available with the new EW title coming out soon.

I think solar 10 is gonna be a tough one, way fewer of those will be gradin out at 9.8 than harbinger 1's.

one good thing though, with Turok not in the new valiant books, magnus 12 wont be to expensive.

I remember when I had a Banal Fantasy 2 DVD for sale . It is the French version of Final Fantasy 2. I had make an offer and a buy it now for $40. I was offered $5 and counter offered $25 stating that it was below what I paid. The buyer said he would consider it but had a few questions. He wanted to know if it had men in it and animals. Strange question I thought but perhaps there was a language barrier. I said yes, along elves, orcs etc...

He said that does not sound right but would accept my counter offer if the men were large and hairy with lots of leather and if I really got into it.

I said , what the hell Buzzetta - it is Banal Fantasy and it was not what he was looking for nor was I "into that." Disappointed, he told me he should have known better and should have to looked in the adult section.

I remember when I had a Banal Fantasy 2 DVD for sale . It is the French version of Final Fantasy 2. I had make an offer and a buy it now for $40. I was offered $5 and counter offered $25 stating that it was below what I paid. The buyer said he would consider it but had a few questions. He wanted to know if it had men in it and animals. Strange question I thought but perhaps there was a language barrier. I said yes, along elves, orcs etc...

He said that does not sound right but would accept my counter offer if the men were large and hairy with lots of leather and if I really got into it.

I said , what the hell Buzzetta - it is Banal Fantasy and it was not what he was looking for nor was I "into that." Disappointed, he told me he should have known better and should have to looked in the adult section.

:roflmao:

lol jerk

You know at the end of every summer I now sell my used flip flops on eBay. They cost me $10 at the beginning of the summer, then I usually get $40-45 shipped for them. There is someone out there for everything.

I don't think 20% is insulting. I am more annoyed when I send an offer (apparently high enough to bypass the auto reject) and waited a few days only to get a decline and not even a counter offer. I do not like sellers that handle business this way. If you are not willing to negotiate at all, why bother with Best Offer? just list the item as BIN and not waste anyone else time.

Just want to thank everyone for their comments, thoughts, insights, amusing anecdotes, etc.

The item in question was actually a fully restored Dual 1019 turntable and I came home this evening after a night out drinking some of the finest craft beers in the world, only to find that the seller either got is BIN or a better offer than mine.

And so it goes... :(

But, thanks again...Harry

Sometimes it's better not knowing. I hate being the second highest bidder. I really feel better when something I bid $150 on ends up selling for $300 after a group of people bid it up than I do when I lose something by a couple dollars just because I won't allow myself to get in a bidding war.

I don't take anything as an insult. They can offer me $5 on a $200 item and I'll simply reject it.

I usually put a limit in place to auto reject so I won't even have to look at it. I also use the auto accept for prices usually within 15% of my asking price.

I have a lot up now for $169 and that is approx the price of all the combined comics recent selling prices. A buyer keeps offering me $85 with notes like "I just bought all these comics in the past few weeks for about $80 so I won't pay your high price." Then he proceeds to list each comic out and what he paid. I laughed because he is leaving out the $70+ variant that my lot includes. He won't acknowledge that comic is included and refuses to come up a dime. That's eBay.

I don't take anything as an insult. They can offer me $5 on a $200 item and I'll simply reject it.

I usually put a limit in place to auto reject so I won't even have to look at it. I also use the auto accept for prices usually within 15% of my asking price.

I have a lot up now for $169 and that is approx the price of all the combined comics recent selling prices. A buyer keeps offering me $85 with notes like "I just bought all these comics in the past few weeks for about $80 so I won't pay your high price." Then he proceeds to list each comic out and what he paid. I laughed because he is leaving out the $70+ variant that my lot includes. He won't acknowledge that comic is included and refuses to come up a dime. That's eBay.

Yup, that is Ebay and the buyers you will find on there. I bet the jerk will flip it at a higher cost a week after winning it.

I had a fool do that to me a month after my listing was closed. If I wanted to sell it lower then I would relist it at a lower cost.

Maybe a little off topic...but my LCS is the worst when it comes to negotiating. Sometimes he will kick me out for 'low-balling' him. Or, worse yet, he will sell something I want to someone else right in front of me, for the price I offered, or lower!!!! He says he does this because my 'negotiating pisses him off' and also, 'it's a retail store and I shouldn't be looking for deals'. He claims that you can't negotiate prices at a retail outlet.

Haha! Thanks for letting me vent!

I feel if the seller has a best offer option he has inflated his original buy it now price to reflect this. My opening offer is usually 25% discount. I'll come up from there or consider a counter offer. If there is an automatic rejection reply, just keep coming up $5 at a time until it is considered. This will show the seller's floor, and what I would expect to buy it for, especially if I am buying multiple items, or have a history with him.

Maybe a little off topic...but my LCS is the worst when it comes to negotiating. Sometimes he will kick me out for 'low-balling' him. Or, worse yet, he will sell something I want to someone else right in front of me, for the price I offered, or lower!!!! He says he does this because my 'negotiating pisses him off' and also, 'it's a retail store and I shouldn't be looking for deals'. He claims that you can't negotiate prices at a retail outlet.

Haha! Thanks for letting me vent!

Find another shop.