• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Entertainment Weekly Top 100 Movies

30 posts in this topic

Any one want to guess the only super-hero movie to make the cut?

Here are the ones that might interest boardies:

11) King Kong

14 Bambi

17) Seven Samarai

18) Jaws

22) Toy Story

25) 2001: A Space Odyssey

28) Wizard Of Oz

41) The Road Warrior

43) LOTR: Return Of The King

53) Star Wars Ep V: Empire

55) Frankenstein

78) Raiders Of The Lost Ark

79) Night Of The Living Dead

81) Blade Runner

88) The Dark Knight

No Snow White? Monumental film the field of animation and the one that Walt rested his entire business on. I appreciate the inclusion of Bambi as that was as monumental in the field of advancing animated films as Beauty and the Beast and Toy Story was.

Other notables that I would venture to guess were under consideration from the House of Mouse would have been Toy Story II, The Lion King and Fantasia... maybe Mary Poppins?

The Bride of Frankenstein is better than the original Frankenstein, and has editing(in the creation sequence) that rivals Eisenstein. City Lights, Sunset Boulevard and The Third Man belong on the list. Not one Powell and Pressburger film. No Godfather II.On the other hand, cool to see the original King Kong at #11. Titanic, while a good film, doesn't belong. A very mixed bag.

Of the movies I've seen on that list I'd say I only disliked one or two, several were at one time or another my favorites. I agree Godfather 2 was a great movie, but I figure they only wanted to give the Godfather series one slot, same with Star Wars. When it comes to Star Wars I think they picked the right one. Godfather I can go either way. Goldfinger isn't my favorite 007 movie, but I might be a product of the younger generation. I still think it was cool, but I'm a Daniel Craig fanboy I suppose. Some movies were a product of their time and I guess you'd have to be there to experience the impact on film, and even society and culture, they may have had. Jaws for example. I remember it being a big deal when I was little, but it just doesn't impress me much. Others stand the test of time. I think even by today's standards Lawrence Of Arabia and The Maltese Falcon are good stories. The only real fault I have on them is the sound quality but every movie from back then had an odd sound reproduction that made everyone's voice seem unnatural. A great movie can't be faulted by the era's technology. I liked how the list seemed to span all eras, even having something very contemporary like There Will Be Blood on the list, but seemingly not playing favorites to any era. It doesn't make for a list that I'm going to love every single choice (my list would be mostly 1980-current movies), but it seems to make a list that aught to have a little something for everybody.

But no Big Lebowski? No Lock Stock And Two Smoking Barrels? :taptaptap:

By the way, I've seen 31 movies on the list.

The Bride of Frankenstein is better than the original Frankenstein, and has editing(in the creation sequence) that rivals Eisenstein. City Lights, Sunset Boulevard and The Third Man belong on the list. Not one Powell and Pressburger film. No Godfather II.On the other hand, cool to see the original King Kong at #11. Titanic, while a good film, doesn't belong. A very mixed bag.

I can't even begin to describe how much I agree with this post! :applause:

Especially the bold part. Either Black Narcissus or The Red Shoes should definitely be on such a list! :sumo:

One other "fault" of this list is that it doesn't have a wide enough representation of foreign (as in "non-english speaking) films.

In general, it is, at best, a pretty average list, that no true cinephile would give any serious consideration to. But as Speedy said, Entertainment Weekly is not the place to look for cultural cues.

That said, EW's 1999 list, while also lacking in certain regards, was definitely better than this one.