• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Entertainment Weekly Top 100 Movies

30 posts in this topic

The Bride of Frankenstein is better than the original Frankenstein, and has editing(in the creation sequence) that rivals Eisenstein. City Lights, Sunset Boulevard and The Third Man belong on the list. Not one Powell and Pressburger film. No Godfather II.On the other hand, cool to see the original King Kong at #11. Titanic, while a good film, doesn't belong. A very mixed bag.

I can't even begin to describe how much I agree with this post! :applause:

Especially the bold part. Either Black Narcissus or The Red Shoes should definitely be on such a list! :sumo:

One other "fault" of this list is that it doesn't have a wide enough representation of foreign (as in "non-english speaking) films.

In general, it is, at best, a pretty average list, that no true cinephile would give any serious consideration to. But as Speedy said, Entertainment Weekly is not the place to look for cultural cues.

That said, EW's 1999 list, while also lacking in certain regards, was definitely better than this one.

The list actually read: Entertainment Weekly Top 100 Movies for People Most Likely To Watch 'Ow! My Balls!' but had to be edited down to fit.

The Bride of Frankenstein is better than the original Frankenstein, and has editing(in the creation sequence) that rivals Eisenstein. City Lights, Sunset Boulevard and The Third Man belong on the list. Not one Powell and Pressburger film. No Godfather II.On the other hand, cool to see the original King Kong at #11. Titanic, while a good film, doesn't belong. A very mixed bag.

I can't even begin to describe how much I agree with this post! :applause:

Especially the bold part. Either Black Narcissus or The Red Shoes should definitely be on such a list! :sumo:

One other "fault" of this list is that it doesn't have a wide enough representation of foreign (as in "non-english speaking) films.

In general, it is, at best, a pretty average list, that no true cinephile would give any serious consideration to. But as Speedy said, Entertainment Weekly is not the place to look for cultural cues.

That said, EW's 1999 list, while also lacking in certain regards, was definitely better than this one.

Yep.

Not trying to beat a dead horse, but this review from Leonard Maltin of Bride of Frankenstein encapsulates my feelings on this flawed list. Bride is probably my favorite movie of all time, and made me aware of how great movies could be(I watched it on a Saturday night on Dr. Shock's Scream-In in my grandparent's living room when I was 7 years old or so).

D: James Whale. Karloff (Boris Karloff), Colin Clive, Valerie Hobson, Ernest Thesiger, Elsa Lanchester, Una O'Connor, Clive, Gavin Gordon, Douglas Walton, Heggie, Dwight Frye, John Carradine. Eye-filling sequel to FRANKENSTEIN is even better, with rich vein of dry wit running through the chills. Inimitable Thesiger plays weird doctor who compels Frankenstein into helping him make a mate for the Monster; Lanchester plays both the "bride" and, in amusing prologue, Mary Shelley. Pastoral interlude with blind hermit and final, riotous creation scene are highlights of this truly classic movie. Scripted by John L. Balderston and William Hurlbut. Marvelous Franz Waxman score, reused for many subsequent films. Followed by SON OF FRANKENSTEIN; reworked in 1985 as THE BRIDE. **** out of ****

Shawshank Redemption isn't on the list. That renders it 100% wildly_fanciful_statement.

+1,000

Rosemary's baby is good... but the 36th greatest movie of all-time... not even close.

At the end of the day it just some shleps with a keyboard giving their opinion. Why do we care what they even think?

Not trying to beat a dead horse, but this review from Leonard Maltin of Bride of Frankenstein encapsulates my feelings on this flawed list. Bride is probably my favorite movie of all time, and made me aware of how great movies could be(I watched it on a Saturday night on Dr. Shock's Scream-In in my grandparent's living room when I was 7 years old or so).

D: James Whale. Karloff (Boris Karloff), Colin Clive, Valerie Hobson, Ernest Thesiger, Elsa Lanchester, Una O'Connor, Clive, Gavin Gordon, Douglas Walton, Heggie, Dwight Frye, John Carradine. Eye-filling sequel to FRANKENSTEIN is even better, with rich vein of dry wit running through the chills. Inimitable Thesiger plays weird doctor who compels Frankenstein into helping him make a mate for the Monster; Lanchester plays both the "bride" and, in amusing prologue, Mary Shelley. Pastoral interlude with blind hermit and final, riotous creation scene are highlights of this truly classic movie. Scripted by John L. Balderston and William Hurlbut. Marvelous Franz Waxman score, reused for many subsequent films. Followed by SON OF FRANKENSTEIN; reworked in 1985 as THE BRIDE. **** out of ****

Leslie Halliwell (the English version of Leonard Maltin, who wrote dozens of guides and list books about film) stated that Whale's Bride Of Frankenstein was his favorite film.

Leslie Halliwell (the English version of Leonard Maltin, who wrote dozens of guides and list books about film) stated that Whale's Bride Of Frankenstein was his favorite film.

I have most of Halliwell's books. My first viewing of Bride as a kid led me to the local library, where I would borrow(with my dad's help since most of the books required an adult library card) histories of the movies. Halliwell's Filmgoers Companion was one of my favorites, and it was precisely because he had as much respect for the classic horror films as he did for the more mainstream classics like Citizen Kane and Casablanca.