• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How would you feel?

63 posts in this topic

I buy comic collections from people who advertise on local media and boards and such. I always love buying a collection and sorting through them. I'm not one of those guys who advertises to buy collections, I just keep my eyes open.

Anyway. I had a few small collections sitting together and I started to sift through them.

I spent about 400 on everything there.

I found a Hulk 181, ASM 14, 16, 19 among other things.

So I'm a happy guy. I send the 181 and the 14 to the CGC and I got them back yesterday.

181 is a 5.5 and the ASM 14 is a 4.0....And now I am a little bummed...

Pretty crazy, right? I knew their condition but I suppose I let myself hope for higher grades...

Sounds like you did well, all things considered.

That first submission is always a reality check. Welcome to the boards. (thumbs u

IM sure you made your money back at least and more. A hulk 181 in 5.5 goes for more then 400. I don't understand why you would be upset? You made a profit. I'd call that a minor score.

IM sure you made your money back at least and more. A hulk 181 in 5.5 goes for more then 400. I don't understand why you would be upset? You made a profit. I'd call that a minor score.

Exactly. The Hulk gets you even and the Spideys are the gravy. All easy to sell. You did well. I wish I could find something like that.

From time to time, everyone suffers from that syndrome where we start to imagine and envision what isn't there.

Consider the following scenario i've seen happen (heck, i've done this too, who am I kidding :facepalm: )

1) But a raw book, seller advertises as a 5.0

2) Get the book, and think "boy, this is nice for a 5.0.....heck, maybe has some pressable defects"

3) Send the book off for review (now you can't see it anymore), start thinking "i wouldn't be surprised if that book is a 6.0/6.5"

4) Book gets pressed or whatever and is in for grading....by now, thinking "hmmm.....coult that book get a 7.0/7.5? It was really that nice and heck, i've seen 8.0s that look much worse!")

5) Day the book arrives, "i'm expecting a 7.5/8.0 minimum, maybe an 8.5 (and with a little luck....CMON BABY, give me a 9.0, I deserve a good grade, CGC is always robbing me!!"

.....Then, the book comes graded 5.0 and you're hugely dissapointed. End up screaming to the world how this is the nicest looking 5.0 on the planet.

hm hm hm been there?!?

To the OP -sounds like you have a good find there. If you can buy a collection and double your money fairly quickly (whether you need to sell all the books or not), that's quite a profit for limited effort (assuming it's not thousands of $1 books you have to sell one by one).

Some dealers may expect 3x, 5x, 100x their investments......but that's not realistic! (tsk)

Exactly. The Hulk gets you even and the Spideys are the gravy. All easy to sell. You did well. I wish I could find something like that.

+1 The Hulk 181 gets you more than even the rest is massive profit.

OP: Change your initial post to say WOW! what a major score!

I buy comic collections from people who advertise on local media and boards and such. I always love buying a collection and sorting through them. I'm not one of those guys who advertises to buy collections, I just keep my eyes open.

Anyway. I had a few small collections sitting together and I started to sift through them.

So I'm a happy guy. I send the 181 and the 14 to the CGC and I got them back yesterday.

Pretty crazy, right? I knew their condition but I suppose I let myself hope for higher grades...

Planning on selling those? I've been looking for a IH 181 in 5.0-6.0 range.

I hate it when you want to hook blenders up at the beach and cannot find the power converter cable to hook it up to your car engine for your tailgate. You CAN'T have a proper tailgate without slushy rum drinks. So you spend extra time looking for it and cannot get that exact spot you wanted in the parking lot for your car, your friends' cars and the tailgate tents.

THOSE are #FirstWorldProblems

You're bummed?

Your ASM 14 is worth close to $400 alone.

I buy stuff and never get the money back. I guess I should kill myself.

to answer your question, like so many others HAVENT, i'd have been tickled as hell.

finding a hulk 181 in any kind of decent shape in a collection is a huge High.

and don't sweat the FirstWorldProblems, around this looney bin, you take everything directed at you with a grain of moonshine.

Welcome to the boards( I sometimes wonder if folks around here cant spell those words as much as they use WTTB's). even though you've been watching us for over 3 weeks now(stalker), its good to get your feet wet and get person_without_enough_empathyed at by most of the folks on here with your first post, that way its uphill from there(we hope).

Welcome to the boards( I sometimes wonder if folks around here cant spell those words as much as they use WTTB's)

I changed my name to COI because I kept forgetting how to spell. That's definitely why people abbreviate things.

Thanks for the update.

You're right it is crazy when you make money in life.

Not sure what I found more important to find out more information about this thread or the current uprising in Egypt.

Let me spell it out for you what 99% of the people who wasted their time by clicking on this garbage really want to say.

No one cares.

Welcome to the boards( I sometimes wonder if folks around here cant spell those words as much as they use WTTB's)

I changed my name to COI because I kept forgetting how to spell. That's definitely why people abbreviate things.

IDK WTH you are talking about. Are you just CYA?

*lol*

-slym