• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,027 posts in this topic

This next book is something of a prehero grail for me. I first came across it in the early 70's in reprint form in "Where Monsters Dwell". As a 5 year old Godzilla fanatic I was hooked. Now this 40 year old can enjoy the smokin' original!! :headbang::cloud9:

TTA9.jpg

Droom the Living Lizard. hm Isn't he the brother of Broom, that janitorial lizard? And Vroom, the Racing Lizard?

Seriously, cool book! (thumbs u

:screwy::baiting:lol

In the meantime, here is one of my favorite covers that I just got around to scanning! This would have made a wonderful movie poster, dontcha think?

ST_97.jpg

Hey, isn't this the issue with the first app. of Uncle Ben and Aunt May?

Yes

Well..Yes and No... Its an appearance of An "Aunt May & Uncle Ben" drawn by Mr. Ditko, but this is not the couple who lived in Forrest Hill, Queens. This May and Ben lived in a remote sea-side cottage and had a very "fishy" wheelchair bound niece.

so I guess they are prototypes........ and CGC prob does say something like that on the notes for this issue. BTW this is an amazing cover. wow. Had to say it again.

Here is CGC stance on this book

Forget "Aunt May & Uncle Ben", CGC should put one of those: "Classic Cover" monikers on this beaut!

Bill

In the meantime, here is one of my favorite covers that I just got around to scanning! This would have made a wonderful movie poster, dontcha think?

ST_97.jpg

Hey, isn't this the issue with the first app. of Uncle Ben and Aunt May?

Yes

Well..Yes and No... Its an appearance of An "Aunt May & Uncle Ben" drawn by Mr. Ditko, but this is not the couple who lived in Forrest Hill, Queens. This May and Ben lived in a remote sea-side cottage and had a very "fishy" wheelchair bound niece.

so I guess they are prototypes........ and CGC prob does say something like that on the notes for this issue. BTW this is an amazing cover. wow. Had to say it again.

Here is CGC stance on this book

Forget "Aunt May & Uncle Ben", CGC should put one of those: "Classic Cover" monikers on this beaut!

Bill

That cover is so person_without_enough_empathyEN! :headbang:

A trio of TTA's. Korvac is pleased :sumo:

TTA24.jpg

TTA29.jpg

TTA33.jpg

Even though that #29 cut-off cover is kindof unique and you don't see it that often, it really works with that cover!

And that #33 you just hardly ever see...I'm thinking that is quite rare in grade...wouldn't you say so Rich? Others?

Again, what can I say...another round of pre-hero beauties!!! :headbang:(worship):applause:

The TTA 33 is a FANTASTIC cover!

Nice trio!

Nothing to share from the clink auction?

TTA24.jpg

TTA29.jpg

TTA33.jpg

Even though that #29 cut-off cover is kindof unique and you don't see it that often, it really works with that cover!

And that #33 you just hardly ever see...I'm thinking that is quite rare in grade...wouldn't you say so Rich? Others?

Again, what can I say...another round of pre-hero beauties!!! :headbang:(worship):applause:

Yes, these are really nice books, and certainly in these grades. I think all the pre-heroes in the higher grades are getting tough to find. Very nice copies. (worship)

DRX

Edited by DRX

I think in so many ways an 8.0 for most of these books equates to at least a 9.0 for many other genres and book categories...even 7.0s and 7.5s are quite rare by Census standards...

Agreed, grades like those just dont pop up to frequently. Most are in the VG/F range, and most of the ones on E-Bay look questionable. I can remember backin the day when dealers tables had stacks and stacks of the pre-hero books. Those days are history sad to say. Again, great looking books!

DRX

TTA24.jpg

TTA29.jpg

TTA33.jpg

Thanks Tom!! (thumbs u I love the cover to #29 too. So cinematic + explosive. Looks like a great movie poster (worship) And all of these books are rare in grade. Just thumbing through raw dealer stock at shows, I've never seen anything above VF- and priced like NM-. And graded HG copies go for a fortune. ANY 9.0 copy commands 1 to 1.5K, if not more. Of these 3 books only the #24 has a 9.2(the highest graded+ only copy) whereas the other 2 top out at 9.0. My #24 is the 2nd best + only 8.0. None of these books have more than 16 unrestored graded copies. Tough great books!!!!!!!!!! (worship):cloud9:

I think in so many ways an 8.0 for most of these books equates to at least a 9.0 for many other genres and book categories...even 7.0s and 7.5s are quite rare by Census standards...

7.5 is definitely HG for the preheros. Being as 9.0 is often the HGC (or more likely 8.0 or 8.5), everything else should be scaled accordingly. Like in OSPG where many GA books don't even have prices listed above VF.

I wonder how many raw VF+ copies are in the hands of old time collectors. I was at the Tampa show this weekend. Of course none there, but one dealer told me good luck. He's been trying to put a high grade run together for 10 years and he still said he's not even close. hm

Agreed, grades like those just dont pop up to frequently. Most are in the VG/F range, and most of the ones on E-Bay look questionable. I can remember backin the day when dealers tables had stacks and stacks of the pre-hero books. Those days are history sad to say. Again, great looking books!

DRX

:headbang:

The TTA 33 is a FANTASTIC cover!

Nice trio!

Nothing to share from the clink auction?

:gossip: TOS #31 9.0 on its way :takeit:

Most excellent! :headbang:

There were some very healthy prices in that auction! Good thing we're in a recession or it'd be really bad.